The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My brothers first Matsumoku.

+4
Barry
hobster
Iceman
DuoFuzz
8 posters

Go down

My brothers first Matsumoku. Empty My brothers first Matsumoku.

Post by DuoFuzz Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:40 pm

My big bro just picked this up locally through Gumtree.

It was advertised last week but didn't sell, he contacted the seller to see if he still had it and to cut a long story short, he took it! Seeing how you lot like ogling guitars I thought I'd post some pics!

1983 Aria Urchin Deluxe cyclops

My brothers first Matsumoku. 101_0378-1
My brothers first Matsumoku. 101_0377 My brothers first Matsumoku. 101_0382 My brothers first Matsumoku. 101_0376 My brothers first Matsumoku. 101_0379

Sorry the pics aren't the best, the sun was playing havoc with my camera Mad

Last edited by DuoFuzz on Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:54 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Picture problems)
DuoFuzz
DuoFuzz

Number of posts : 640
Registration date : 2009-05-18

Back to top Go down

My brothers first Matsumoku. Empty Re: My brothers first Matsumoku.

Post by Iceman Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:11 pm

Very nice DF!!

Exactly how big is this big brother of yours? Perhaps you could arm wrestle him for it? Razz

Please get us a test drive report, yours or the big bro's.....
Iceman
Iceman
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 2894
Registration date : 2011-02-22

http://www.glowingtubes.com/p/Kahler_Instructions.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by hobster Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:54 pm

Yeah thats a pretty one! I like the grains and the burst and i like those bodies alot as well. Never seen a deluxe before, nice score for a 1st Matt! Very Happy
hobster
hobster

Number of posts : 691
Registration date : 2009-08-16

Back to top Go down

Post by DuoFuzz Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:56 pm

My brother has left the guitar with me to sort out!!!! What a Face

I plan to take it apart and hide it around the house, hoping that he will forget about it. Twisted Evil

There's a few jobs to do. The frets need levelling and the nut might have to be repaired or replaced. Currently the trem has been screwed down flat but Steve (my bro) wants it set up to float. The saddles are brass but have corroded and need polishing. Basically it's going to be an overhaul and a good spring clean.

It's in decent condition for a 28 year old guitar. There is some light belt buckle bruising to the back of the body and the usual paint chips you get on pointy guitars. There are some bad looking marks in between the rear horns, where the guitar has been sat in an unpadded guitar stand for years. Thankfully I can't find any stress cracks anywhere.

It is nearly complete except for the trem arm (not a problem) and some strange feet that should be fitted the the ends of the rear horns, I've posted a question about them over on the Matsumoku Forum.

It does have it's original Protomatic V (MMK 45) pickups. I had to remove the neck pickup while realigning the neck, a quick look confirmed the '45' stamp on the back of it! the pickups read about 11.2k for the neck and 11.6k on the bridge.

I did get a chance to plug it in and much like my Aria CS250 (also MMK 45's) it just sings, clean or overdriven. It's going to be good when it's done....

DAN.
DuoFuzz
DuoFuzz

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:36 pm

Looks real purty Dan! It'll be a walk in the park bringing her back to peak condition, unlike my U60T resto, or (God help him) John's current project!
The one thing that has puzzled me about my '82 though is the neck pup. The wiring appeared to be original yet the pup has no markings at all, it is slightly thinner, and measures about 7.5K, not the expected 11'shK. The bridge is a MMK45. Strange, but it sounds good. scratch

MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: https://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)
Barry
Barry

Number of posts : 8687
Registration date : 2009-05-01

https://legend.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DuoFuzz Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:12 pm

Well, I'm really starting to dislike my brother!

I'm still neck deep in the dismembered parts of his Aria Urchin and he walks in with a bloody Westone!!!!! It's been less than 24 hours since he got the Urchin and now the lucky bast sod lands a near mint 1985 Spectrum DX. Rolling Eyes

Seriously, is there a world record for the shortest time someone has become hooked on Uncle Mat's?

It's another one he found locally on Gumtree and the only thing missing is it's trem arm. I think it has the "bad" UBC pickups but I haven't had time to check just yet. It does have all the string clamps and the shims are still in place. The original knobs and switch tip are all present and it even has the remains of the protective film on the control cover, all for £75!!!!!! Shocked

yes, I think I hate him.....A lot!.........the tw*t...... What a Face

DAN.

DuoFuzz
DuoFuzz

Back to top Go down

Post by The Chad Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:27 pm

That guitar is almost good looking with it's flame maple! Well, good looking for that crazy body style, anyway. Definately take it apart and hide the pieces till he forgets. Very Happy Hopefully these don't grow on me like the Pantera's did, I own too many guitars as it is...
The Chad
The Chad
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 2772
Registration date : 2011-02-01

Back to top Go down

Post by DuoFuzz Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:56 pm

A few photos taken during cleaning and rebuild.

My brothers first Matsumoku. 101_0404
MMK 45's.

My brothers first Matsumoku. 101_0399
Bridge before.......

My brothers first Matsumoku. 101_0407
.....and after polishing.

My brothers first Matsumoku. 101_0412
Trem refitted.

My brothers first Matsumoku. 101_0409
Controls are original and untouched.

DAN.

DuoFuzz
DuoFuzz

Back to top Go down

Post by G.A.S. man Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:53 am

You've done a great job Bro with the Aria cheers
Though i'm still not paying the ransom to get her back lol Razz
I'll be over later to have a try an to hear her sing again.. Very Happy
G.A.S. man
G.A.S. man

Number of posts : 170
Registration date : 2011-08-18

Back to top Go down

Post by G.A.S. man Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:32 am

Tried out the Aria Urchin Deluxe for first time through Duo Fuzz's Laney VC 15 R on Monday an must say i'm Impressed an Happy with the Ole Girl Very Happy Very Happy
Duo Fuzz (my Brother Dan) Did a great job with the setup an she feels like dream Razz Razz
The body shape feels right an doesn't become awkward standing or sitting down.. On A Strap she's well balanced with maybe a touch of neck heaviness but nothing a good wide suede strap can't take up... Cool Cool
The neck is a shredders dream, Not to flat but not to chubby... Though being devoid of Steve Via talent an fingers and not being a shredder it is one of the best necks i have played for a good while.... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Now for the fun bit Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Plugged into Dan's amp it was very vibrant an lively on just the clean channel.. The MMK 45's are if not one of the best pick ups i have ever tried cheers cheers cheers
Neck pickup was woody an tight with excellent definition, Middle position an both on were just a strummers dream with the righ amount of phaseyness an that hollow tone Which always helps when quiter moments are called for.. cheers cheers cheers
The Bridge pickup was spot on with the right amount of push an treble for on its own to give that kick for solos an for biting rhythm work Laughing Laughing Laughing
Now with the Gain channel on its Even Better an i can say i have found the Guitar i've spent years looking for.. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Every position on the selector sounded tight an focused withe great string definition an notes just leaped out of her.. cheers cheers cheers
The Trem returns to pitch every time though heavy dive bombs an Dimebag moments might are a bit of push for it, But it did hold up very well when called upon to do so...

The best way to describe her is to listen to the first 6 Iron Maiden Albums up to Somewhere in time.. It just kicked out them riffs an lead lines as if it was nothing an sounded so close to Adrian Smith's tone that i started to think about buying a leppard skin waist coat an finding the spandex pants... lol! lol! lol!
Even with the gain right up an a little muddiness creeping in were cured by dropping the volume on the guitar a touch an tweaking the tone pots brought everything back to earth... bounce bounce bounce
Blues Jazz even some country lick couldn't phase her.... cheers cheers cheers

Why the hell i didn't buy one of these earlier i never know as it must be one of the best guitars i have ever played.
To Sum up.. Very High Quality well made an thought out guitar which should be up there with the best of them... Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
G.A.S.man

G.A.S. man
G.A.S. man

Number of posts : 170
Registration date : 2011-08-18

Back to top Go down

Post by DuoFuzz Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:17 am

Here's a few more shots of the urchin now it's cleaned up. It's not much different really, now it has polished saddles and no tarnish on the gold plated hardware.

(I was holding these back so I could add some comparison pics with my Quest Atak 5, but my brother has took his Urchin and buggered off home with it, the cheek pirat )

My brothers first Matsumoku. 101_0433
My brothers first Matsumoku. 101_0441
My brothers first Matsumoku. 101_0439
My brothers first Matsumoku. 101_0440
My brothers first Matsumoku. 101_0435

DAN.
DuoFuzz
DuoFuzz

Back to top Go down

Post by anaerobe Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:12 pm

God damn. That is a fine mats.

All the best, you are a lucky dude.
anaerobe
anaerobe

Number of posts : 497
Registration date : 2009-05-05

Back to top Go down

Post by DuoFuzz Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:48 pm

I managed to prise the Urchin from my bro's clammy fingers long enough to compare it with my Quest Atak 5. (And yes it's still awaiting huge amounts of TLC). Not sure if anyone will find it interesting, but since I had the chance I thought I'd take a few shots.

I always thought these two shapes were related but it turns out the Quest is much more narrow around the waist that the Urchin and is generally more skinny everywhere. Seriously, the Quest feels tiny.
My brothers first Matsumoku. 101_0464 My brothers first Matsumoku. 101_0483

The neck joint uses a longer bayonet so the fretboard sticks further out of the body. Also note there is a lot less wood behind the bridge.My brothers first Matsumoku. 101_0469

I also took a quick snap of the Urchin hanging out with the only other Aria Pro II's in the collection. On the left is an 1980 Cardinal Series CS250, and to the right is a Korean made 1989 Libra Series LBE-STD.
My brothers first Matsumoku. 101_0471

DAN.
DuoFuzz
DuoFuzz

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:13 pm

Nice, Dan... looking forward to seeing the Quest up & running...
corsair

Number of posts : 6319
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:08 pm

Separated at birth...then malnourished? Razz
Nice comparison Dan.

MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: https://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)
Barry
Barry

Number of posts : 8687
Registration date : 2009-05-01

https://legend.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down