The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 posters

Go down

New Member Empty New Member

Post by wb0ldj Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:35 pm

I just stumbled upon this group this evening, so I thought I'd join up.

I have a sunburst Rainbow II that I've owned about 3 years. I bought it from my friend DeWitt Scott at Scotty's Music in St. Louis, MO. I have a closet full of guitars, including Fender Strats and a nice Gibson ES-335, but I really prefer playing the Westone. The sound is awesome and the neck is better than most of my other guitars. I usually play 2-3 gigs a week with two different groups, so I play quite a bit. Our groups play a lot in nursing homes in the STL area, so we play a wide mix of music - mostly what the residents want to hear. A little country, a little bluegrassy stuff, old show tunes, Forties and Fifties standards, some Gospel, but very little that resembles jazz or rock. Back in the Sixties I was lead in a rock band, but now I drive a Cherokee, not a converted hearse, and haul my gear around on a 4-wheel cart!

I've heard that my (RIP) friend Bobby Caldwell was instrumental in the design of the Rainbow. Bobby was a phenomenal player in the STL area, and worked for St Louis Music for a number of years. The story goes that when SLM began negotiating with Matsumoku to build them a 335 clone, they sent Bobby to work with Mats to develop the design. I knew Bobby worked for SLM, but I never knew exactly what he did for them. If any of you can shed additional light on this story, or debunk it as a myth, I'd like to hear it.

I primarily use Peavey steel guitar amps when I play out. I have a Nashville 400, Nashville 112 and a Vegas 400. They have mega power and headroom with zero distortion.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!
Mike
wb0ldj
wb0ldj

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2012-10-16

Back to top Go down

New Member Empty Re: New Member

Post by mortarman120gang11c Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:39 pm

Welcom to the Forums
mortarman120gang11c
mortarman120gang11c
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 740
Registration date : 2011-04-09

Back to top Go down

Post by GtrGeorge! Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:47 pm

Cant help with INFO on SLM....but welcometo the Forum.

GtrGeorge
GtrGeorge!
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2012-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:44 am

Sounds like you have more info on the Rainbow than us, but welcome here!!

I do know that those who have 'em, like 'em lots; personally I'd only have a white one - I saw one of the Kemps playing a white one in the video for "True" and boy, it lit a fire!!

That said, a friend here has a Vantage 455 which is the most spectacular 335 I've ever seen and I'm well envious....
corsair

Number of posts : 6321
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by hobster Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:29 pm

Very cool info, thanks for that. It's always nice to get a little more knowledge of these great instruments. I love my Rainbow, its probably the favorite of all my axes right now. The quality surpasses so many other more expensive semi-hollow bodies. Welcome to the forum!
hobster
hobster

Number of posts : 691
Registration date : 2009-08-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down