The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

...way off topic, as is usual for me it would seem...

+6
Westbone
The Chad
hoax
grogg
corsair
Iceman
10 posters

Go down

...way off topic, as is usual for me it would seem... Empty ...way off topic, as is usual for me it would seem...

Post by Iceman Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:58 pm

So I am home for a day or two resting and recovering from a particularly nasty cold. My new employer basically insisted on this as not to spread it 'round the shop ( smart guy! ).

Got lots of Kleenex handy, the Bourne trilogy to wade thru when not napping, but MOST IMPORTANTLY approximately 3 gallons or so of my mother-in-law's made from scratch chicken noodle soup.

So it occurs to me to ask what do you lot turn to when a rhinovirus pops up in your household?

I am completely serious when I say that chicken noodle soup is 10 times more effective than any dosage of Zicam one could safely ingest.

Comments, please.
Iceman
Iceman
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 2894
Registration date : 2011-02-22

http://www.glowingtubes.com/p/Kahler_Instructions.htm

Back to top Go down

...way off topic, as is usual for me it would seem... Empty Re: ...way off topic, as is usual for me it would seem...

Post by corsair Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:02 pm

Mate, us antipodeans are made of sterner stuff - we just battle on and make the best of it..... Rolling Eyes

What utter bullsh*t... better living through chemistry, I say - hit the symptoms with pseudoephedrine and panadeine and go to bed for a day or five! Oddly, as we "speak" I've got a dose of food poisoning and I feel like .... well, you can fill in the blanks! Evil or Very Mad
corsair

Number of posts : 6321
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

...way off topic, as is usual for me it would seem... Empty Re: ...way off topic, as is usual for me it would seem...

Post by grogg Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:09 pm

Me I carry on and take the odd Nurofen, have to be a real bad cold for time off, hasnt happened yet. Then theres a good dose of the infamous remedy cocktail of whisky, fresh lemon juice, sugar and hot water in the evening.
grogg
grogg
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 1094
Registration date : 2008-11-28

Back to top Go down

Post by hoax Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:40 pm

Lemsip and a hot bath - then a fag (cigarette in UK not a young friend!!) then a coffee, then another fag.

Hey - Ice you cannot possibly be off topic when you start the topic yourself - that just can't happen.

... then a glass of Lidl biomeths with Lidl coke-a-like (Majestat and Freeway)

Hoax
hoax
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 1104
Registration date : 2009-09-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Iceman Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:04 pm

Believe me this one has been bad. First time off from work in 16 years and that is no exaggeration. The Ibuporfen helps ease the sinuses pounding, but that soup is sincerely the cats @$$ I kid you not.

My mum-in-law's 2nd greatest gift to my wife recipe-wise and I am reaping the benefits still now 6 years since she has gone on to her heavenly reward.

Do not discount the power of a brace of stewing hens properly jacuzzied in the correct blend and ratio of spices and vegetables. Evil or Very Mad

You do so at your own peril. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED. Twisted Evil

Oh, and Grogg.... brandy, honey, piping hot water, a stick of cinnamon and a pinch of nutmeg. Wink
Iceman
Iceman

Back to top Go down

Post by The Chad Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:06 am

Crazy as this will sound to some, I pray, read healing scriptures over myself, and go exercise! I tell ya, it's never failed, gotta put your body in line (when the going gets tough, the tough get going, as John alluded to)! One time I was scheduled to teach at church but couldn't get out of bed. I began doing this, got up, pressed on, and I was like a house on fire teaching that night!

Not to minimize your current predicament, Ice, the first time off in 16 years means you're a tough bird yourself! Cool Hope you're feeling better man.
The Chad
The Chad
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 2772
Registration date : 2011-02-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:00 am

It's just 'Old Father Time' catching up with you Icebaby. Smile
Hope you're feeling better.

Always catch a cold or the flu after a long haul flight.
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 5917
Registration date : 2008-12-28

http://www.chruler.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by grogg Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:43 pm

Iceman wrote:
Oh, and Grogg.... brandy, honey, piping hot water, a stick of cinnamon and a pinch of nutmeg.

Bit posh your version, Id say youve gotta get the Vit C in there eg lemon juice.
Alternatively just glug down the Brandy and you wont care anymore, saves all that mucking about with kettles and stuff.
grogg
grogg
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by grogg Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:47 pm

Iceman wrote:
My mum-in-law's 2nd greatest gift to my wife recipe-wise

Im curious now, what was the greatest gift?
grogg
grogg
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Iceman Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:14 pm

Potato salad straight from the Pearly Gates. In all honesty it is what I hope to have for my last meal in this veil of tears.

I have yet to keep myself from eating a good pound of that stuff, minimum, at a sitting. It is that good. cheers cheers cheers cheers
Iceman
Iceman

Back to top Go down

Post by The Chad Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:46 pm

Potato salad is good food, heavens yes! How does she make it? I know that our's is good here in Pennsylvania, Pennsylvania Dutch potato salad rocks! What a Face

Our friends accross the pond are missing out, their potato salad is different from ours. Our's is much more fatty and delicious. Hence America's begger waistline. Shocked
The Chad
The Chad
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by grogg Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:11 pm

Cmon guys share the beans, pm if its a secret. Am partial to the stuff myself.
grogg
grogg
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Iceman Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:03 pm

...and therin lies the rub.

My wife's secret about the stuff is that there is no "recipe" per se... it is somthing that she has been taught to do rather than a list of ingredients to follow.

I am truly sorry Grogg, you will just have to pop in sometime to experience it.

Unless we can figure out a way to ship you some.... :?: scratch :?:
Iceman
Iceman

Back to top Go down

Post by The Chad Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:46 am

Iceman wrote:...and therin lies the rub.

My wife's secret about the stuff is that there is no "recipe" per se... it is somthing that she has been taught to do rather than a list of ingredients to follow.

I am truly sorry Grogg, you will just have to pop in sometime to experience it.

Unless we can figure out a way to ship you some.... :?: scratch :?:

You are dead on there Ice! My Mom is teaching my Wife how to make it, and it frustrates my Wife because there are no set recipes to follow, it's one of those "bit of this, dash of that, gigantic spoons of this other thing, mix it in till it turns color" sort of deal!

I know that it involves mayonaise, a little mustard, sometimes finely chopped onions, sometimes parsley, salt, cracked black pepper, sugar, potatoes chopped up into smaller bits, sometimes hardbooiled eggs, vinegar, sometimes celery, those tiny tan seeds that are like little spheres whatever they're called, and a whole lotta love! ❤ Although there are variations. And they're all good.

My Wife made her Norfolk version of potato salad, and it was... well, not very good! Our versions half scare her, due to the amount of health destroying properties involved. Shocked Laughing I think the macaroni salad is even better.

Do yourselves a favor and go make these...
Amish Macaroni Salad
Amish Potato Salad

DISCLAIMER: I am not responsible if ya'll acquire a taste for this stuff and consequently balloon to gigantic proportions.
The Chad
The Chad
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by grogg Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:41 pm

An egg per potato and a whole cup of sugar eeeee! affraid
But then you guys like maple syrup on your bacon and eggs in the morning.
Im not brave enough.
grogg
grogg
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by grogg Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:45 pm

Iceman wrote:I am truly sorry Grogg, you will just have to pop in sometime to experience it.

On my way
grogg
grogg
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrn Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:47 pm

Nothing beats a fat filled potato salad! Forget your health foods, that stuff is fantastic! Very Happy
Warrn
Warrn

Number of posts : 1133
Registration date : 2008-08-03

Back to top Go down

Post by caucajun Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:50 pm

grogg wrote:An egg per potato and a whole cup of sugar eeeee! affraid
Im not brave enough.

Twisted Evil ooo.....real maple syrup w/ sage spiced or smoky, fried HAWGMEAT! Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz pig

dawg........i am thar! 🐒
caucajun
caucajun

Number of posts : 418
Registration date : 2008-07-29

Back to top Go down

Post by The Chad Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:32 pm

caucajun wrote:
grogg wrote:An egg per potato and a whole cup of sugar eeeee! affraid
Im not brave enough.

Twisted Evil ooo.....real maple syrup w/ sage spiced or smoky, fried HAWGMEAT! Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz pig

dawg........i am thar! 🐒

cheers YEEEEEEEEE HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAW!!!!!! NOW GET THAT THARR HAWG MEAT IN THE FRYIN' PAN 'FORE I TAKE YA OUT BEHIND THE WOODSHED AND GIVE YA THE WHAT FER, BOY!!!!!!!!!!! Laughing

True, we do like our sweet meats over here!! Still grosses my Wife out that I dump maple syrup on my bacon, sausage, eggs, and pancakes! Ah, yummy!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ❤ Suspect
The Chad
The Chad
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by anaerobe Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:35 pm

Advil cold works well, enough to forge ahead - after work I'll have a few glugs of harsh booze eg, vodka.
anaerobe
anaerobe

Number of posts : 497
Registration date : 2009-05-05

Back to top Go down

Post by caucajun Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:52 pm

anaerobe wrote:Advil cold works well, enough to forge ahead - after work I'll have a few glugs of harsh booze eg, vodka.

helpful fer a cold........but SUCKS on pancakes! No
caucajun
caucajun

Number of posts : 418
Registration date : 2008-07-29

Back to top Go down

Post by anaerobe Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:12 am

Hmm... this topic is elusive.

Ian's pancakes (kid tested):

Make a bunch of scratch white flour pancakes (1 cup flour, 1 egg (or 2 if no-one is policing the tray), 4 tsp baking powder, shot of salt, 1 tblsp of sugar, mixed lightly until a homogenous glutinous mass is realized), not quite cooked all the way through, but really close. Shoot for 100 - 200 microlitres of semi-solid batter in the topographic centre of each cake :!:

Saturate with Maple syrup - drain excess syrup, new plate: plaster any given surface with peanut butter (chunky is best).

Sandwich fat and sugar slabs together. Consume with shredded swine flesh on the side (heated until transfats (elaidic acid may be the main culprit) are partially liberated from core denatured protein segments). pig

Post-intake: Stagger over to comfy chair. Listen to favourite high fidelity reproductions of prerecorded sound patterns. Amplifier may include NOS Westinghouse, Telefunken, Mullard or RCA power tubes - if those can't be found, winged C 6L6GC's are Beauty.

The caloric inundation, cumulative placebo, and sundry side-effects may i) induce loss of consciousness and/or ii) negate the issue of nasal resistance artery inflammation, and iii) offset noncompliance with mainstream pharmacological treatments. :!: :!: :!: :!:

Further <urp> research is required.

anaerobe
anaerobe

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:03 am

This. Very Happy
corsair

Number of posts : 6321
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:16 am

Whadidhesay?!
Please pass me the Dictionary, the Thesaurus, the Grey's Anatomy, the Cook Book, oh, and the really big book of Hyberbole over there... study
Thanks.

MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: https://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)
Barry
Barry

Number of posts : 8700
Registration date : 2009-05-01

https://legend.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by anaerobe Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:33 pm

Hyperbowl.... used for the pancake batter I reckon.
anaerobe
anaerobe

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down