The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ALL Thunder owners..... one step forward please.

+12
PaulS
spidey2
umpdv5000
THEBARRON
Barry
Frenchy
DuoFuzz
Westbone
corsair
IanO
chaypup
Iceman
16 posters

Go down

ALL Thunder owners..... one step forward please. Empty ALL Thunder owners..... one step forward please.

Post by Iceman Sat May 28, 2011 10:30 am

Been dreaming about rounding out the collection as of late and have read so very many good things about the Thunder here on the forum. As with the Spectrum line, less extensively though, soooooo many variations on the theme.

So opinions and experiences are solicited.

DISCLAIMER ALERT!!!!!!! I know they are all quite excellent instruments, but just between us... which is best :?: :?: Twisted Evil
Iceman
Iceman
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 2894
Registration date : 2011-02-22

http://www.glowingtubes.com/p/Kahler_Instructions.htm

Back to top Go down

ALL Thunder owners..... one step forward please. Empty Re: ALL Thunder owners..... one step forward please.

Post by chaypup Sat May 28, 2011 10:44 am

Are you talking basses or guitars?

If you're talking basses, I'd say Thunder III OR Thunder IIA with the XLR out.

If you're talking guitars then you're wrong... Razz Smile
chaypup
chaypup

Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2010-10-20

Back to top Go down

ALL Thunder owners..... one step forward please. Empty Re: ALL Thunder owners..... one step forward please.

Post by IanO Sat May 28, 2011 2:04 pm

As i've mentioned before, I LOVE my thunder, I've played a couple of others but neither have felt quite as "right" as mine-not surprising really. Never had the chance to play any other Westone models. When I bought my Ibanez RG570 I think the Panteras were an option but didn't look quite together enough for me - after all that's been said on these pages, I wish I had tried one. I had always intended to change the bridge PU on "the breadboard" (as my best mate calls her). but never got round to it. Sorry my ramblings haven't helped, but it's been great therapy for me-I don'tget out much!
IanO
IanO

Number of posts : 259
Registration date : 2011-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Sat May 28, 2011 2:55 pm

The best Thunder, eh..... why,.... that'd be a Spectrum, I reckon!!! Very Happy

Have I helped??
corsair

Number of posts : 6330
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Iceman Sat May 28, 2011 5:02 pm

Looking for guitar guidance at the moment. That will be all from the peanut gallery as well.

@IanO: What model do you have?? Built like a brick sh¥te-house as well may be presume?
Iceman
Iceman

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone Sat May 28, 2011 6:36 pm

Thunder IA first version.
Dont see many, only know of 3.
Barry's, John(mate) and mine.
Knock ya balls off, with active gain as opposed to active EQ.
ALL Thunder owners..... one step forward please. P2281522

Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 5918
Registration date : 2008-12-28

http://www.chruler.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Iceman Sat May 28, 2011 7:07 pm

Woot! Woot!

Shocked Shocked Shocked
Iceman
Iceman

Back to top Go down

ALL Thunder owners..... one step forward please. Empty ALL Thunder owners..... one step forward please.

Post by IanO Sun May 29, 2011 4:17 pm

Mine is a thunder 1 in light oak. Serial number 4072251. Very much a brick outhouse as you said-it was my first electric, bought for me by my Dad and not really liked by me asthetically ( although I always thought it great to play (once I became aware of these things)). It has therefore seen a fairly hard life - nearly broke the head off doing a sipn, many dents, at least 2years in my slightly damp cellar (without a case) . I am amazed that it is still as playable as it is and love it to pieces-i even appreciate the finish although ,as I've mentioned before, i've thought about staining it matt black but for now it stays light oak.
IanO
IanO

Number of posts : 259
Registration date : 2011-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone Sun May 29, 2011 4:43 pm

Back in the day the early Thunders used one piece or 'matched piece' ash wings.
1 year later more' join's' were used, some random bits.

Look at the bit on this one, belongs to someone on the forum.

http://archive.westoneguitars.net/cats/81/03.html
Seriously would have used a better piece of lumber for the add.
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 5918
Registration date : 2008-12-28

http://www.chruler.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Iceman Sun May 29, 2011 7:19 pm

I see your point. The arrowed grain on the closeup pic of the controls on that same scan sure is lovely though. Makes me wonder how bad the rest of that body looked to not make the full body shot.

Mmmmmmmm... full body shot........(drool)
Iceman
Iceman

Back to top Go down

Post by DuoFuzz Sun May 29, 2011 9:49 pm

Hi Iceman,

Just chiming with the rest here but they're built like a tank. Feel like workhorse, a real man's guitar! Twisted Evil Laughing

ALL Thunder owners..... one step forward please. 042-1 ALL Thunder owners..... one step forward please. 18-5-09026-1-1
Starting from the left is my '82 T1-A fitted with the ear bleeding, tooth loosening V1 active gain circuit. This has the two piece wings as mentioned above. (This one has been refinished hence the anaemic look!)

Next to it is is a modified '83 T1 with quilted one piece wings, the original finish has really yellowed with age on this one.

The last one is a bit of a project! There is no serial but I think it's an early '82 T1. Once again it has the two piece wings and it also shows the early version's shorter fatter horns compared to the 1983 guitar.

They feel like a cross between a L.P. and an S.G. to me (but without the S.G.'s weak neck joint. Rolling Eyes )

Get one man, you won't regret it - unless the wife finds out. Very Happy

DAN.
DuoFuzz
DuoFuzz

Number of posts : 640
Registration date : 2009-05-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Frenchy Sun May 29, 2011 11:19 pm

ALL Thunder owners..... one step forward please. 613210

I also have a !A from the first series, a little damaged but all there were it counts. The logo was rubbed off by the previous owner but I got one to replace it Curtice of Hoax (Graham) Not applied as of yet...

and this one:

ALL Thunder owners..... one step forward please. 30910

I really love this one and the pup configuration is quite different without talking about the color also! 👽

P Wink
Frenchy
Frenchy

Number of posts : 250
Registration date : 2008-11-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Iceman Mon May 30, 2011 12:20 am

Thanks all. So what models are most likely to be seen up for sale more frequently?

@ Frenchy: You're killin' me man!! How many lovelies can one man take. affraid Shocked

@ Duofuzz: My wife? You kiddin' me? Whod'ya think is eggin' me on, anyways?? Razz Laughing Razz Twisted Evil
Iceman
Iceman

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Mon May 30, 2011 12:44 am

Westbone wrote:Thunder IA first version.
Dont see many, only know of 3.
Barry's, John(mate) and mine.
Knock ya balls off, with active gain as opposed to active EQ.
Oh yeah baby!! :bball:

MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: https://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)
Barry
Barry

Number of posts : 8740
Registration date : 2009-05-01

https://legend.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by THEBARRON Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:03 am

corsair wrote:The best Thunder, eh..... why,.... that'd be a Spectrum, I reckon!!! Very Happy

Have I helped??
lol..
THEBARRON
THEBARRON
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 95
Registration date : 2010-04-11

Back to top Go down

Post by umpdv5000 Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:41 am

I don't know about the Spectrum v Thunder direct comparison as I don't own a Spectrum guitar (two Spectrum basses though), but there is one finding that I find sets the Thunder appart from virtually every guitar that I have ever tried (which has been countless over the years)...

I used to perfom with a fixed bridge guitar (no trem that is) for years, using my right hand to press against the upper horn of the body of the guitar while my left hand pushed and pulled the neck back and forth to create a trem effect. I have used this method on all fixed bridge guitars (including Gibson Les Pauls etc) with success. However, my Thunder 1A has such a rigid neck that I find this method impossible. This should not be seen as a fault but one of unbelievable build quality as it must technically increase the natural string sustain of the guitar. I have never found another intrument built with such rigidity.

All I can add is that you can't better this type of build quality, it can only be equalled. Does the Spectrum pass the test? (answers on a postcard please)

ALL Thunder owners..... one step forward please. Weston13
umpdv5000
umpdv5000

Number of posts : 240
Registration date : 2010-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by spidey2 Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:35 pm

DuoFuzz wrote:Hi Iceman,

Just chiming with the rest here but they're built like a tank. Feel like workhorse, a real man's guitar! Twisted Evil Laughing

ALL Thunder owners..... one step forward please. 042-1 ALL Thunder owners..... one step forward please. 18-5-09026-1-1
Starting from the left is my '82 T1-A fitted with the ear bleeding, tooth loosening V1 active gain circuit. This has the two piece wings as mentioned above. (This one has been refinished hence the anaemic look!)

Next to it is is a modified '83 T1 with quilted one piece wings, the original finish has really yellowed with age on this one.

The last one is a bit of a project! There is no serial but I think it's an early '82 T1. Once again it has the two piece wings and it also shows the early version's shorter fatter horns compared to the 1983 guitar.

They feel like a cross between a L.P. and an S.G. to me (but without the S.G.'s weak neck joint. Rolling Eyes )

Get one man, you won't regret it - unless the wife finds out. Very Happy

DAN.

if you ever want to sell that red body im there buddy Smile
spidey2
spidey2
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 95
Registration date : 2011-02-24

Back to top Go down

Post by PaulS Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:08 am

That quilted grain is gorgeous!

Here is mine, a 1T. I bought it for under £40! It cleaned up a treat and has very little wear.

ALL Thunder owners..... one step forward please. Weston11

One of the guitarists in my band has a Thunder 1A and a Spectrum and, having played both, I would choose the Thunder. So did he. A more mellow tone - on the Les Paul cross SG scale it is nearer the Les Paul, perhaps. Not as harsh, anyway. Although that could be down to the actual model rather than any consistent difference?
PaulS

Number of posts : 198
Registration date : 2010-02-18

http://www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Iceman Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:21 pm

Very interesting observation Paul.

I am always keen to hear about side by side comparisons, especially if one is using an identical setup as to amp, pedal and the like. What were you playing thru if I may ask?

Which model Spectrum was it if you recall? Are the pups the same on both instruments? (I confess to not recollecting at the moment)
Iceman
Iceman

Back to top Go down

Post by PaulS Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:55 am

Sorry for the delay. I had to check on some pictures of it I had as he is out of the country at the moment. So then I had to find the pictures.... it was a Spectrum ST. Exactly like the one pictured in this link here to a catalogue. So I'd reckon the pickups were different. It looks like his Thunder 1 have 'Hammer' pickups and the Spectrum 'Magnaflux' ones... but, hey, what do I know - there are too many strings on there is all I noticed. Smile
PaulS

Number of posts : 198
Registration date : 2010-02-18

http://www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:20 pm

Ahhh.. there's your problem!! Smile Some of the Spectrum had UBC pickups that were less than brilliant - my SX has a bridge pickup that needs hurling - ; others had the real McCoy which are brilliant - my ST has 'em - and yet others have the MMK45s, which the Thunder has.... perhaps the Spectrum you guys tried had the dodgy ones?
corsair

Number of posts : 6330
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by kirry Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:45 pm

i own(ed):
Spectrum GT
Thunder IA
Thunder IIA with heeless built-in
Spectrum Series II SP 1012 -RD
(Concord H II,week ago sold)
(Spectrum MX)
(Spectrum ST)
The best wood has a Spectrum GT and Thunder IA
The best PU has Thunder IIA.
Spectrum Series II has a good sound, but its not my sound. Thus I sell it now for 200Eu with case. condition: like new.
kirry
Registered Member

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2011-03-15

Back to top Go down

Post by norfolkngood Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:53 pm

Ice, I don't know the values + availability of Thunders over there but it might be worth buying a couple on the basis that if you don't like what you've got, you can always move 'em on? Hopefully without taking too much of a financial hit.

I've got a couple of Spectrums, a couple of Thunders and a Thunder I bass. Also in the mix is a road-worn (I love that phrase, code for "played to within an inch of its life") Washburn Raven and a Vantage bass. Oh, and a couple of modern things. And an acoustic. Or two.

For ease of playing, Fender-ish neck, logical controls then it's the Spectrum. Either of them, can't tell 'em apart except for the colour. But for "serious" guitar time it's the Thunder 1A pretty much every time. Not sure why, but everything just feels "right," it might be down to set-up or strings. Odd times guitar-playing friends have been round this is the one that always gets used.
norfolkngood

Number of posts : 421
Registration date : 2008-12-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Iceman Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:05 pm

Well NFG, I see about 5 four stringers to each 6 stringer and a 1A...... not yet. Always on Craigslist and rarely on ebay.

But since I got fortunate in picking up those Skylarks I apparently no longer need a Thunder, at least according to some.

I'm pretty sure the real story is that everybody likes theirs so much that they just do not get let go of very often, but it would not surprise me if worldwide more were marketed and sold in Europe, the UK especially.
Iceman
Iceman

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:50 pm

Iceman wrote:...But since I got fortunate in picking up those Skylarks I apparently no longer need a Thunder, at least according to some.
swine Steve
I'm pretty sure the real story is that everybody likes theirs so much that they just do not get let go of very often...
True dat. I didn't think I'd love mine as much as I do when I bought it, but it is one outstandingly good guitar! It's a heavy bugger but a real work horse that never fails to amaze and surprise me:
ALL Thunder owners..... one step forward please. WestoneThunder-BodyFront-1
ALL Thunder owners..... one step forward please. WestoneThunder-FrontFull-2

I just wish my playing could do it justice, (especially these days). Neutral

MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: https://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)
Barry
Barry

Number of posts : 8740
Registration date : 2009-05-01

https://legend.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Iceman Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:54 pm

Garsh that is easy on the eyes!! What a Face

Nice patch of luck you strolled into with that one Barry... what with the upper body laminate so closely matching the adjoining one.

Do let me know if ever you tire of it. Wink
Iceman
Iceman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt. Vimes Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:54 pm

I have to say I do love my thunder 1-T, even the apple red is starting to win me over, I had it up for sale recently but just could not let it go so soon, decided to sell one of my favourite synths instead.....damn those bills!
I didnt think I would ever love a guitar as much as the one I learned to play on 20 odd years ago....the times they are a changin!
Sgt. Vimes
Sgt. Vimes
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 3322
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by PDS Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:27 am

Iceman, you're right about the availability in the uk. Used to work in my old mans music shop when i was a youngster back in the 80's. The thunder 1A was the staple diet of the beginner who could spend a little more than for a basic strat copy. Must have sold dozens of them. Believe it or not, i only even picked up a guitar in anger myself about 3 years ago - suppose it was a bit like working in a sweet shop, you just get sick of the sight of sweets, but 20 odd years later, i picked up my first westie last year (posted on here at the time). There are many examples of varying quality on uk ebay (must be 4 or 5 up for sale right now). Typically the price for a good example is about the same as they cost new in the uk in the 80's.

Given the number on offer, you should surely be able to find one willing to ship
PDS
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2011-04-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Frenchy Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:46 am

I agree that more Westies show up in the U.K.

As for my little part of the world, they are quite scarce and I have tried buying every single one I saw... Rolling Eyes Wich were not many... Crying or Very sad

PDS what were the asking price when you worked in your fathers store...just curious....
Frenchy
Frenchy

Back to top Go down

Post by PDS Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:01 pm

Hi Frenchy - Quebec? Lovely part of the world, visited many years ago.

From memory the basic oak finish was around the £150 mark with a coloured finish coming in about £20 extra. No idea what happened to excahnge rates in the intervening 30 years so it might be making invalid comparisons now to then, but i paid £150 last year for a white T1A in very good condition. the oak finish comes up much more regularly with average ones going for just under £100 and good ones up to and around £150. We did have one in the last year that went for much more - but that was in mint condition in it's original cardboard box. Obviously bought and never played, a real gem.

The westone info site does have some scanned in price lists but remember the music industry has always been a little flexible in it's pricing - very few will have paid full recommended retail unless they bought from the mail order catalogues these were also available through
PDS
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2011-04-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Frenchy Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:26 pm

Thanks for the info... The sug retail price was never a good indication in my area.... Stores here have to add duty plus shipping to the resale value so prices are all over the map.... I do remember seing a Super Headless bass back in 1985 wich was a trade in in a big store located in Montreal... I had no idea what it was back then but the $1299.99 price tag was a complete turn off for a used-trade in bass... I did fancy the look....

Never would have guessed it would become my main bass 20 years later.... Life is funny.... rabbit
Frenchy
Frenchy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down