The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to remove pickup covers.

+2
Frenchy
chaypup
6 posters

Go down

How to remove pickup covers. Empty How to remove pickup covers.

Post by chaypup Sat May 14, 2011 6:29 am

I want to tart up the pickup covers on my super headless - Very Happy

How to remove pickup covers. P1011611

Having unscrewed the pickup surround, I've found that the backplate has been soldered to the cover.
I'm pretty sure it's ok to just melt the solder here to remove the cover, but just in case....

IS IT OK TO DO SO?? :?:

How to remove pickup covers. P1011610

How to remove pickup covers. P1011612

Also, I want to redo the logo on the bridge cover - is it Polly who sells the transfers for this?

Many thanks!

Chay
chaypup
chaypup

Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2010-10-20

Back to top Go down

How to remove pickup covers. Empty Re: How to remove pickup covers.

Post by Frenchy Sat May 14, 2011 10:39 am

Hmmm, nice!

That looks like road worn mojo... I would leave it but if you want to touch it up, why not just tape the bottom pickup and just re-spray the top!

If you do remove the cover, can you please take pictures of the pick up? I have a bass coming my way with a blade hum and uncertain if original...

For the bridge, I think that you would be better off painting in the missing parts since a decal would not stay...

Good luck!

Frenchy
Frenchy

Number of posts : 250
Registration date : 2008-11-15

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Sat May 14, 2011 12:54 pm

Just painting the tops would probably do the trick, as long as you're careful, eh!! A decal under a poly coat or two would be OK; I use that system for putting the decals on German helmets and it works just fine.

Nope; it wasn't Polly; it was someone she had teed up and whom I used as well a year or two ago but I don't think he does it anymore. Someone in here has done this before - hopefully they'll pipe up and save the day!!
corsair

Number of posts : 6329
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

How to remove pickup covers. Empty Reply with quote Re: How to remove pickup covers.

Post by fish Sat May 14, 2011 1:46 pm

As you only want to refinish the p/up's & they don't have pole piece holes, there's no reason to take the cover off the Humbucker's.

Best to remove them complete by un soldering the wires at the pots, taking them off the Bass to refinish them, if that a problem. As Frenchy & Corsair said, mask off the body well & refinish them in situ.

To de solder anything that is solder in more than one place may not be as straight forward as it first may seem. In this case if you were to try & melt both sides at the same time you would need to get it too hot & what are just solder tack's may run further into the gap, sweating the covers on even more in the process. If your proficient at soldering there are solder sucker to suck up solder as you melt it but I wouldn't advise that method.

In my case I needed to re gold plate the Humbuker covers on my Prestige 250, which meant having to remove them. The covers are only surface tacked so I carefully cut through the tacks with a thin knife blade, leaving the solder in tact all ready to re run to tack them back on when assembling Very Happy

How to remove pickup covers. Dsc00111

fish
fish

Number of posts : 277
Registration date : 2010-12-16

http://www.fisherrestoration.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by jim Sat May 14, 2011 5:53 pm

I suggest for the bridge cover you could silkscreen the logo.
Or have it done at a silkscreen printer fascility near you.

Silkscreen printing is a fairly simple technique. If you're adventurous you could give it a try yourself.
Here's a guy who used it on his motorcycle. http://ezscreenprint.com/russellspeer.aspx
He did not use Jacquard Screen Printing Ink (paint)
Maybe if you email the company they can tell you how to proceed.
A lot is explained on site though.
You could test print because the other great thing about it would be your silkscreen is re-useable!

To start with, if possible, make a scan in high resolution of the bridge cover.
You, or the print company will need it to restore the logo outlines.
Or you could go with the logo Dreamraven used for his T-shirts. I don't know how crispy that is.
The higher the resolution the crispier the result.

Good luck.
jim
jim

Number of posts : 359
Registration date : 2008-04-25

Back to top Go down

Post by chaypup Mon May 16, 2011 7:38 am

Many thanks for your help, as suggested I left the pickup in situ while respraying - will post piccies soon!

My housemate runs a t-shiry printing business so will see if he can do the bridge (may have a go at doing pickup logos too!)
chaypup
chaypup

Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2010-10-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Iceman Mon May 16, 2011 7:42 am

chaypup wrote:... (may have a go at doing pickup logos too!)

Oohhhh..... that's gonna be VERY popular if you can pull it off. Sarcaster's leprechaun will be calling soon.

👽 👽
Iceman
Iceman
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 2894
Registration date : 2011-02-22

http://www.glowingtubes.com/p/Kahler_Instructions.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down