The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Just goes to show .... there one born every minute !!

5 posters

Go down

Just goes to show  .... there one born every minute !! Empty Just goes to show .... there one born every minute !!

Post by Steve777 Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:13 am

Hi Guys,

Like everybody else on this forum, I havent limited myself to just Westones, but look across all of Mats guitars. I like the Westburys but they are now appreciating, nothing wrong with the Vantages, I like the quirkiness of Quests, the Aria PE's, and Japanese Washburns.

I have always had a yen (no pun intended) for a Washburn a20v or member of that family. I'm also looking for a cheap project for the coming winter months !

When this A15v came up on the bay, I thought job done ! Its local (near enough) and by its looks will go for between £10and £20. Just look at the photos, what you get and the price it went for !
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Washburn-A15-Project-Early-1980s-Hard-Rock-Guitar_W0QQitemZ300341697339QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item45edc29b3b&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

I can buy a complete Westone or such like for that (or a bit more) without the hassle. Crazy !
Steve777
Steve777

Number of posts : 356
Registration date : 2008-10-14

Back to top Go down

Just goes to show  .... there one born every minute !! Empty Re: Just goes to show .... there one born every minute !!

Post by corsair Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:40 pm

What a prat - he's parted the thing out; people who know what these are want the whole kit and caboodle...
corsair

Number of posts : 6321
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Just goes to show  .... there one born every minute !! Empty Re: Just goes to show .... there one born every minute !!

Post by Steve777 Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:47 pm

Quite, ...... but you have to question what the seller is going to do with it? At £100 purchase price plus cost of bits ( if he can find them? ), I think I'd rather wait for a good one to come along.

Would of been worth a punt at £20.
Steve777
Steve777

Back to top Go down

Post by anaerobe Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:33 pm

20 quid would have been great, but ~100 is beserk. With the right skills... it could have been a real beauty. The set neck/body style are pretty cool.
anaerobe
anaerobe

Number of posts : 497
Registration date : 2009-05-05

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:17 pm

Yeah; the bodyshapes are cool on those Matt Washburns, eh - I like the Quests, too....
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by anaerobe Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:41 pm

Like this?

http://www.matsumoku.org/models/vantage/catalogs/atak-manhattan/pg5.html

or this?

http://guitarcollecting.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/Washburn-A20.jpg

or this?

http://www.matsumoku.org/models/washburn/wing/wing.html

The neck - throughs are similar to my old ONYX...
anaerobe
anaerobe

Back to top Go down

Post by norfolkngood Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:53 pm

£97?? The seller must still be laughing.

Earlier this year one of the good ol' boys over on the Washburn forum flagged up an 80s Washburn Raven for sale on the 'bay. Buy-it-now only and to be sold with a little practice amp. He's based in Cornwall, guitar + amp were in London, he wasn't able to get up to London to buy it.

But I was Smile £120 for an early wing series (from before Washburn started putting serial numbers on these, we reckon it's 1980, possibly 1979). Sure, it's seen some action, bit of fret wear and a few dings but just mojo. The amp is a make no-one has ever heard of; KMD, made in Ipswich just down the road from me but worth £20 of anyone's money. So me old Washy stands me at £100 or so I reckon.

Right, so if someone can point me at a Prestige going for a song.... cheers
norfolkngood

Number of posts : 421
Registration date : 2008-12-08

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:46 pm

anaerobe wrote:Like this?

Yep; I just love those 2-tone A-5s....
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by anaerobe Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:57 pm

A5's are a pointed lot. You'd need to take care with that... no frenzied zooming around, or you could sustain some tissue damage.. Very Happy :idea:
anaerobe
anaerobe

Back to top Go down

Post by DuoFuzz Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:09 pm

Did someone say Quest Atak 5? Meet my latest problem!

Just goes to show  .... there one born every minute !! QuestAtak5001

Yet another resto project I couldn't resist No, this finish is known as 'Grey Sunrise'.

There is a full post with pic's HERE, in the Guitar Gallery Forum.

DAN.
DuoFuzz
DuoFuzz

Number of posts : 640
Registration date : 2009-05-18

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:00 am

Yum yum yum..... Twisted Evil
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve777 Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:34 am

I saw this and fully intended to bid but .... was distracted by something else I was interested in ... and I didn't win that either!

I'd be interested to see whether it is "laminated mahogany" as the catalogue says or Ash as I saw on a later ebay listing. As for the pickups, I did recieve an email from Maxon Japan saying that Matsumuko used a range of pickup manaufacturers from Nishin Onpa to Gotoh. They even used Dimarzios on the Westbury range.

The Atak 5 is quite close in design to the Aria Urchin. As weird as the shape looks, I'll still look out for one. and what a steal price wise !

Now can everybody stop bidding on ebay and let me find a Winter project !
Steve777
Steve777

Back to top Go down

Post by DuoFuzz Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:18 am

Steve777 wrote:
I'd be interested to see whether it is "laminated mahogany" as the catalogue says or Ash.....
I've taken some of the paint off around the cracks to see what damage lurks beneath, and from the wood grain I've seen it looks more like some sort of ash or alder to my eye's. I suppose it could be a type of Japanese mahogany but it's very light in colour and in weight.

So far I've found one body joint through the centre of my guitar. I reckon there could be three or four planks in it, but until I strip off all the finish I'm not going to know for sure.
Now can everybody stop bidding on ebay and let me find a Winter project !
I'M SORRY, SO SORRY, sorry, sorry, sorry, don't hit me...!!!!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing

DAN.
DuoFuzz
DuoFuzz

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve777 Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:08 am

If you have this underneath the paint surface, fantastic !

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Quest-ATAK-5-vintage-Matsumoku-Glam-Rocker_W0QQitemZ220471336597QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item33551d9e95&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14
Steve777
Steve777

Back to top Go down

Post by DuoFuzz Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:44 am

sadly, mine looks more like drift wood at the moment. One big split coming from the neck joint on the back and loads of little cracks that might need gluing or just filling if the body is strong enough.

I think it's been left in a damp garage or shed for years, or it's been used as a canoe paddle at some point in it's life! Lucky for me the neck seems OK and more important the truss rod still works, I'm surprised it survived at all.

If I can get the body sorted out and stable, I then need new pickups and will have to sort out a different trem, the original isn't in great shape and is not a well designed piece to start with. I won't make any decisions on the trem until it's back in one piece (if that ever happens!).

DAN.
DuoFuzz
DuoFuzz

Back to top Go down

Post by anaerobe Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:34 am

,,,,conjures Gary Glitter's "Rock and roll part 2". ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐
anaerobe
anaerobe

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down