The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

So this is Graham's section, eh? Let Cap'n Ice show you how it's done...

+4
Barry
The Chad
hoax
Iceman
8 posters

Go down

Swaps & Freebies So this is Graham's section, eh? Let Cap'n Ice show you how it's done...

Post by Iceman Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:13 pm

Guitar swaps allowed you say? I've a pair I've been contemplating moving along for awhile now...

So this is Graham's section, eh? Let Cap'n Ice show you how it's done... 1361419261_zps05f5267a

Anyone care to nudge me in the right direction? Hmmmm?....

Last edited by Iceman on Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:53 pm; edited 3 times in total
Iceman
Iceman
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 2894
Registration date : 2011-02-22

http://www.glowingtubes.com/p/Kahler_Instructions.htm

Back to top Go down

Swaps & Freebies Re: So this is Graham's section, eh? Let Cap'n Ice show you how it's done...

Post by hoax Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:57 am

Ice

Firstly - Welcome to my new section. I might be able to help. That Burger guy in Oz has offered me a fifties style paper clip and I think it might have an original envelope!!!!

I am awaiting photos but hope to do the deal soon.

If you could throw in a few more axes then the clip might just be yours!

Hoax
hoax
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 1104
Registration date : 2009-09-01

Back to top Go down

Swaps & Freebies Re: So this is Graham's section, eh? Let Cap'n Ice show you how it's done...

Post by Iceman Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:55 pm

50's style or 50's vintage? You really need to step up your game there old boy...

If it is low carbon steel I could be interested in hearing more.
Iceman
Iceman

Back to top Go down

Post by The Chad Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:46 am

That low carbon steel has an outstanding tone. I mean the modern day alloys just don't have the warmth and chime of the old steel.

The contour of the clip is different too, feels better in the hand and retains grip on the envelope most effortlessly.

And the smell of those vintage clips have that metallic/musty aroma that comes off on your hands so that you may enjoy it for hours after handling.

Anyhow, that's a sweet Concord pair!!! (Had to say that so that the Canard doesn't quack up)
The Chad
The Chad
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 2772
Registration date : 2011-02-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:47 am

So this is Graham's section, eh? Let Cap'n Ice show you how it's done... DaffyDuck_zpsb79ef20a So this is Graham's section, eh? Let Cap'n Ice show you how it's done... 1314892585

MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: https://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)
Barry
Barry

Number of posts : 8687
Registration date : 2009-05-01

https://legend.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Iceman Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:46 pm

Barry wrote:So this is Graham's section, eh? Let Cap'n Ice show you how it's done... DaffyDuck_zpsb79ef20a So this is Graham's section, eh? Let Cap'n Ice show you how it's done... 1314892585

Sorry Barry but I am not catching the drift of your wind here... confused So this is Graham's section, eh? Let Cap'n Ice show you how it's done... 264707237
Iceman
Iceman

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:55 pm

The Chad wrote:...(Had to say that so that the Canard doesn't quack up)
Relates to a misfired insult by our beloved Scottish contingent, wherein he referred to yours truly as a "old canard fart" instead of a old Canuck fart. K?

Barry
Barry

Back to top Go down

Post by Iceman Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:59 pm

Barry wrote:
The Chad wrote:...(Had to say that so that the Canard doesn't quack up)
Relates to a misfired insult by our beloved Scottish contingent, wherein he referred to yours truly as a "old canard fart" instead of a old Canuck fart. K?

Still not getting up to speed here. Chad is a member of the "Scottish contingent"?? scratch
Iceman
Iceman

Back to top Go down

Post by hoax Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:36 pm

Ice

I will clarify.

Barry thinks that he is a "Canuck" but he is actually a "Canard" which is a French duck.

He was not referring to Chad as a Scot as I have not yet given formal citizenship to him as I have for you.

For the record, Chad will become a Scot when he laughs at two more of my jokes, pranks or wheezes.

Of course, Chad may elect to retain his USA citizenship, whereby we could arrange some dual passport type of situation.

Hoax
hoax
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:50 pm

Well, personally, I see quite a lot of bigotry here as I don't see Scots citizenship offered to anyone other that the Canards and Yanks.

The membership from the Antipodes wishes to express its dismay on this matter.

After all.. I've at least been to Scotland.... *sniffs dismissively*
I know Don hasn't, but he's been to Canadia and therefore - under the "Hoax Rules" - qualifies by being an Honorary Canard, yes??
corsair

Number of posts : 6319
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Iceman Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:02 am

affraid OIY!! affraid

I'm the dude who hijacks threads (or at least makes an honest effort to occasionally derail one) so let's cut to the chase here and get back on topic.

The 6 stringer in the photo has been updated slightly since then. Black pup covers and control knobs have been put in, both of them are original stock too.
Iceman
Iceman

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:30 am

No love for them, Steve? Good looking pair, I have to say....
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt. Vimes Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:29 am

beautiful pair steve, what are you looking for in a trade?
Sgt. Vimes
Sgt. Vimes
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 3322
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Iceman Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:50 pm

@ Corsair: I love them to death (the 4 stringer is about as clean and minty as anything I have) but they do not make it into the rotation often enough to just have them lying about when someone else might make better use of them.

@ Sarge: I honestly do not have a clear answer there which is why I made the invite for a nudge. Something from across the pond that is difficult to find over here (Thunder III??) would be a starting point I suppose.
Iceman
Iceman

Back to top Go down

Post by Iceman Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:58 pm

...a canard is also a word used to imply lying or liar, Graham.

Not a wise choice I must say which is skirting dangerously close to bad form. You OK?

Tuig, mo chara maith?
Iceman
Iceman

Back to top Go down

Post by The Chad Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:01 pm

hoax wrote:Ice

I will clarify.

Barry thinks that he is a "Canuck" but he is actually a "Canard" which is a French duck.

He was not referring to Chad as a Scot as I have not yet given formal citizenship to him as I have for you.

For the record, Chad will become a Scot when he laughs at two more of my jokes, pranks or wheezes.

Of course, Chad may elect to retain his USA citizenship, whereby we could arrange some dual passport type of situation.

Hoax

lol!

So this is Graham's section, eh? Let Cap'n Ice show you how it's done... 419367009 At least no one was calling me a French Duck. Although I do hear that they are most delightful with the proper sauce. Or served with Haggis. And always wanted dual citizenship, actually.
The Chad
The Chad
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:20 pm

Iceman wrote:...a canard is also a word used to imply lying or liar, Graham.

Not a wise choice I must say which is skirting dangerously close to bad form. You OK?

Tuig, mo chara maith?

I feel sure no-one has taken that either seriously, or to heart; I never even considered that to be honest, I just saw it as a play on words! If I'd thought it was bad form, I'd've stopped it in its tracks, but I thought it was just a piece of Westone silliness...
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by hoax Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:41 pm

Don't worry John, Ice is at the wind up. He knows my infantile sense of humour (as does Barry) and is just trying to make me feel (slightly) bad. It has not a chance in hell of working!!

As for his Gaelic gibberish I have not a clue what he is on about as I am a lowlander and my native tongue is English.

Hoax Very Happy
hoax
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by The Chad Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:48 pm

hoax wrote:

As for his Gaelic gibberish I have not a clue what he is on about as I am a lowlander and my native tongue is English.

Hoax Very Happy

I think he said something about kilts. That he's wearing one, or that he wears dresses that look like kilts... I don't know.
The Chad
The Chad
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by hoax Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:49 pm

Chad

I think it might just be his wife's clothes. I am quite open minded about that sort of thing and I don't really think any less of him for it.

Hoax
hoax
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by grogg Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:21 pm

Iceman wrote: skirting dangerously close to bad form.
Why do a few Scots insist on wearing skirts?
grogg
grogg
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 1094
Registration date : 2008-11-28

Back to top Go down

Post by grogg Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:27 pm

Kinard is what a few boys from Glasgie think they are.
grogg
grogg
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 1094
Registration date : 2008-11-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:45 pm

corsair wrote:...I just saw it as a play on words! If I'd thought it was bad form, I'd've stopped it in its tracks, but I thought it was just a piece of Westone silliness...
Yeah.
Notwithstanding the fact the utterer didn't initially recognize his bill from his quack, 'twas nonetheless "mostly harmless", to quote Douglas Adams (rip)
So this is Graham's section, eh? Let Cap'n Ice show you how it's done... 4032386574Geez, talk about "quack"

Barry
Barry

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:55 pm

But, but, but..... what about Scots citizenship via Hoax for Antipodeans?! Don't you mob be derailing this thread!!!

Laughing
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by Iceman Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:46 pm

hoax wrote:Chad

I think it might just be his wife's clothes. I am quite open minded about that sort of thing and I don't really think any less of him for it.

Hoax

Brother... if you only could realize how absolutely correct you are with that one you'd never stop chuckling. lol!

*Fixed* - mod
Iceman
Iceman

Back to top Go down

Post by hoax Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:52 pm

corsair wrote:But, but, but..... what about Scots citizenship via Hoax for Antipodeans?! Don't you mob be derailing this thread!!!

Laughing

John

A gentleman like yourself is welcome with open arms.

Hoax Laughing
hoax
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:12 pm

... the implication being, that Don is NOT a gentleman and is therefore persona non gratis. I like that.. make it so! Very Happy
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by Iceman Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:41 pm

Iceman wrote:
hoax wrote:Chad

Hoax

Brother... if you only could realize how absolutely CORRECT AND WHOLLY ACCURATE you are with that one you'd never stop chuckling. lol!

*Fixed* - mod

Scheming, dirty, rotten messer ... So this is Graham's section, eh? Let Cap'n Ice show you how it's done... 3181402168 So this is Graham's section, eh? Let Cap'n Ice show you how it's done... 4100498673 So this is Graham's section, eh? Let Cap'n Ice show you how it's done... 3181402168

**FIXED** -- O.G.
Iceman
Iceman

Back to top Go down

Post by eyebulger Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:56 am

corsair wrote:... the implication being, that Don is NOT a gentleman and is therefore persona non gratis. I like that.. make it so! Very Happy
Hey you sod, I resemble that comment So this is Graham's section, eh? Let Cap'n Ice show you how it's done... 1708505722
Here I was starting to feel welcome and now this.
I'm so hurt I think I will just hang around and annoy you So this is Graham's section, eh? Let Cap'n Ice show you how it's done... 4154827492
eyebulger
eyebulger

Number of posts : 135
Registration date : 2012-06-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Iceman Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:05 pm

Iceman wrote:
Iceman wrote:
Brother... if you only could realize how absolutely INCORRECT AND WHOLLY INACCURATE you are with that one you'd never stop chuckling. lol!
*Fixed* - mod
Scheming, dirty, rotten messer ... So this is Graham's section, eh? Let Cap'n Ice show you how it's done... 3181402168 So this is Graham's section, eh? Let Cap'n Ice show you how it's done... 4100498673 So this is Graham's section, eh? Let Cap'n Ice show you how it's done... 3181402168
**FIXED** -- O.G.

Low down 'n dirty egg suckin' dog... Evil or Very Mad I saw what you did there... No

You were dropped on your head at a very early age weren't you, John... Suspect No no no That\'s nuts!
Iceman
Iceman

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:41 am

Why, yes..... does it show?! Wink
corsair

Back to top Go down

Swaps & Freebies New kid up on the blocks...

Post by Iceman Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:51 pm

So I am adding a new candidate today to the list of what I have available for swap or trade...

So this is Graham's section, eh? Let Cap'n Ice show you how it's done... 1364610637_zps87403485

An Electra-Westone Phoenix x183 RD circa 1984 (obviously) that I am the second owner of. It is an excellent player and a perfect candidate for nightly gigging. Electronically in 100% working order with a pull/push on each control knob, MMK45's, TekGlide trem, TSA machineheads and so on. A detailing of the possible switching & tonal options can be found RIGHT HERE for those of you who may be unfamiliar with what this bad girl is capable of. This model was the foundation stock of what eventually became the Westone Spectrum GT, the biggest difference being that an x185 has a non-locking 6-screw (think Strat style) tremelo.

The only things that are not OEM on it are the control knobs and the trem bar. Currently it has diamond knurled chromed metal knobs that match a 6mm StewMac bar which is not in this picture. I also have a set of similar metal knobs in black chrome which better match the pups & headstock, but I have no matching black trem bar to go with it.

Cosmetically the body does have mars and scratches in about 6 places which range from very slight to minor. Every one could be buffed or blended out but they just never bothered me enough to deal with them. The neck does have 3 smaller areas around the top edge with chips that extend into the finish only and could be drop-filled and buffed smooth, once again they never were enough of an issue to me to require correcting. The frets have seen plenty of even wear but still play comfortably and far more noticeably than my "Fretless Wonder".Tthere are zero issues with buzz, dead spots or intonation. The fretboard also is in very fine shape with no unnatural digs or chips in it, just the natural openess of the rosewood grain showing in places. Headstock has a couple slight chips in the finish which quickly vanished after a session with my trusty RUB-A DUB touch up system. Laughing

I already have 2 other guitars with the same H-S-H layout and switching configuration. I really see no need for this one to sit about in triplicate when someone out there, who has not experienced the awesomeness of the neck profile these Phoenix and Spectrum models offer, really should have an opportunity to do so. Plus it really does sit heavy on my heart when an instrument like this which was designed and built to roar doesn't see the inside of a closet more often than not.

Questions gladly responded to here... PM only please if you have an swap or trade proposition, I can take as many additional pictures as you might need.
Iceman
Iceman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down