The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Uncle Matt convert needs help!

4 posters

Go down

New Uncle Matt convert needs help! Empty New Uncle Matt convert needs help!

Post by NotUncleMattis Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:51 pm

Thanks for the add. Ill try to be short

Bought an unknown( to me) brand of guitar after a little research and very little money invested. I seem to get a lot of (mis)information or varying thoughts of models when I search so I thought Id ask for help from the group. At first I thought x199 then x185 now I think x189. Any help is greatly appreciated. I absolutely love LOVE this guitar. I prefer a wider lower bout because of the way my arm rests, that is the ONLY negative Ive found so far. As heavy as an antique armoire. It will be getting a complete makeover next week and Ill get pics of the underside of the pickups and pots and such. Anything that you could help me with as far as identifying the correct model and correct bridge would be awesome. Once again thanks, and I think Ive found what Ive been searching for with the sounds from these pickups. Going to buy all I can afford.New Uncle Matt convert needs help! 20180416New Uncle Matt convert needs help! 20180416New Uncle Matt convert needs help! 20180416
New Uncle Matt convert needs help! 20180417
New Uncle Matt convert needs help! 20180421
New Uncle Matt convert needs help! 20180418
New Uncle Matt convert needs help! 20180422
New Uncle Matt convert needs help! 20180420
New Uncle Matt convert needs help! 20180419
NotUncleMattis
NotUncleMattis

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2018-04-21

Back to top Go down

New Uncle Matt convert needs help! Empty Re: New Uncle Matt convert needs help!

Post by corsair Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:00 pm

Always nice to see a new face - I get bored with the old lags in here!! Razz
I agree... a Phoenix X189, if only because black wasn't available - AFAIK - on the X185! Yours looks to have the Bendmaster Precision bridge, too, which I've really only seen on Westones but they are not unknown on the Electras....
There is an Electra forum but like this one, it is very quiet at the moment...

The Spectrum/Phoenix lines seem to polarise opinion; I love 'em to bits and have 6, or 7... I can't remember... and I'm still idly looking for a Phoenix X175 to complete "the set" as it were...
corsair

Number of posts : 6322
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by The Chad Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:10 am

X189.   I love mine, it's also a 1984 model.  These older ones arguably sound better than the later Westone models (sorry to say that, Westone models...) due to the more full and dynamic sound of the earlier MMK45 pickups for some reason.  Having had very many, I can say it's true to my ears.    

They ARE heavy, yes!  The Westones (vs. the "Electra Westone"models) were lighter.  I love how heavy mine is, reminds me that I have it slung around my neck.  Mine is the red burst.  Slamming guitars.  Super versatile, you can make it cover so much ground.  

Congrats on a sweet old ax!
The Chad
The Chad
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 2772
Registration date : 2011-02-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:31 pm

Chad, I don't own any Electras. Since the Westone Spectrums are essentially the same guitar what do you think accounts for the weight difference? I assume the Electras were made of Maple as well? Solid versus laminate body perhaps?

p.s. Just remembered that my GT and LX models do seem heavier than the S, ST, DX ones.

MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: https://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)
Barry
Barry
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 8703
Registration date : 2009-05-01

https://legend.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by The Chad Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:11 pm

Would have to be the woods... both are solids with laminates.  I don't know right off the top of my head what the Electra Westone's were made of?
The Chad
The Chad
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 2772
Registration date : 2011-02-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down