The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[survey] Multieffects "pedals" Zoom G2.1u vs. Boss ME 70 vs. Line 6 Pod v 2.0 vs. Line 6 Pod xt

+3
silence86
corsair
anaerobe
7 posters

Go down

[survey] Multieffects "pedals"  Zoom G2.1u vs. Boss ME 70 vs. Line 6 Pod v 2.0 vs. Line 6 Pod xt Empty [survey] Multieffects "pedals" Zoom G2.1u vs. Boss ME 70 vs. Line 6 Pod v 2.0 vs. Line 6 Pod xt

Post by anaerobe Tue May 26, 2009 12:35 am

EDIT: Thanks to all for their feedback. The Zoom G2.1u is the pedal I went with, well worth the money. Great range of clean and distorted tones, amp models, wah, etc. One thing that I learned is how important the input is to the function of the multieffects box... good thing I have 7 or so electrics to choose from, eh boyo.... anyway, guitars with pickups that push the mids are really well suited for this pedal. My '78 (or so) Onyx sounds great with this pedal, as does my Westone x70.

- Ian
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I've been suffering from acute gear acquisition syndrome, and have been looking around and pricing these. At the moment, 1 CDN dollar = 0.87 USD.

The Rocktron Utopia can be picked up for $150 CDN (online) which seems very inexpensive. The new Boss ME 70 is about $375 CDN, the Line 6 Pod 2 is $265 CDN, and the xt is much more @ about $500.

I'm guessing the Line 6 pods are the best sellers at the moment in Canada, and can't find anyone who's played with the Rocktron stuff.

Let me have your opinion, go ahead and rank these in terms of performance and value. I'm interested in any feedback.

Thanks!

Ian

Last edited by Barry on Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:12 pm; edited 7 times in total (Reason for editing : syntax of a drunken donkey)
anaerobe
anaerobe

Number of posts : 497
Registration date : 2009-05-05

Back to top Go down

[survey] Multieffects "pedals"  Zoom G2.1u vs. Boss ME 70 vs. Line 6 Pod v 2.0 vs. Line 6 Pod xt Empty Re: [survey] Multieffects "pedals" Zoom G2.1u vs. Boss ME 70 vs. Line 6 Pod v 2.0 vs. Line 6 Pod xt

Post by corsair Tue May 26, 2009 4:05 am

Jeez, brother - no use asking me; all my FX are old Boss stompers bought when I was but a lad!!It must be said, though, that I prefer to stomp 'on' and then stomp 'off', rather than cycle through banks and pages in one of those multi things, eh!! Laughing
corsair

Number of posts : 6333
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

[survey] Multieffects "pedals"  Zoom G2.1u vs. Boss ME 70 vs. Line 6 Pod v 2.0 vs. Line 6 Pod xt Empty Re: [survey] Multieffects "pedals" Zoom G2.1u vs. Boss ME 70 vs. Line 6 Pod v 2.0 vs. Line 6 Pod xt

Post by silence86 Tue May 26, 2009 4:24 am

I can recommend the BOSS multi effect pedals...(we all play these in our band (gt10, gt8, gt6b) and we are more than pleased). I guess the me70 is also a very good one...
silence86
silence86

Number of posts : 502
Registration date : 2008-11-13

http://first-daze.de

Back to top Go down

Post by anaerobe Tue May 26, 2009 10:27 am

Thanks.... I have to admit, I do like the K.I.S.S. approach to life and gear... however the BOSS brand stuff and others is very big bang for the buck (at least 15 effects, probably a lot more). At a local shop, an Ibanez tubescreamer (the "9") is $170 with taxes in, for example - eg, one pedal.

Score: BOSS -1 Rocktron - 0 Ass'td Line 6 - 0
anaerobe
anaerobe

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Tue May 26, 2009 3:41 pm

Don't get me wrong, mate - I've got Roland (Boss) stuff 'cause in the beginning there was no other available in NZ for less than a king's ransom, and I've seen no reason not to continue with Boss on the 2 occasions in the last 10 years that I've bought a new pedal; a PS5 , which is, incidentally insane!!, and an HM5 with a local fellas alterations to make it a better all rounder.
I've no doubt that the others you mention are fine in their own right, eh!! Very Happy
corsair

Number of posts : 6333

Back to top Go down

Post by anaerobe Tue May 26, 2009 4:15 pm

OK thanks John -

Score: Boss - 2; all others - zip

Ian
anaerobe
anaerobe

Back to top Go down

Post by colt933 Wed May 27, 2009 10:51 am

I have a Pod XT Live and I think it's great.

It sounds really good direct for recording. I have found that it doesn't sound all that good in front of a preamp, but is marvelous in the effects return on a tube amp. This bypasses the amp's preamp completely and only hits the power tubes and speaker of the amp. It gives the Pod XT Live even better tone than going direct. The amp models are great and the effects are pretty good too. I need to get another expression pedal for it.

I want to trade-up for the X3 Live. Its main advantage is that you can assign one patch to each side of its stereo out, so you can have two completely independent signal paths. This is one of the secrets that the pros use for their monster tone - more than one signal path at a time. This works well for recording and live.
colt933
colt933

Number of posts : 583

Back to top Go down

Post by anaerobe Wed May 27, 2009 11:39 am

Thanks Colt -

Boss - 2, Pod xt live -1, Obscure equips - 0
anaerobe
anaerobe

Back to top Go down

Post by madmarcus1960 Wed May 27, 2009 3:09 pm

check out the Digitech RP1000, RP500, and older GNX3000 and GNX4 as well. Do a search, the GNX stuff is considered by many the best true modeling in a pedal and it serves as a soundcard for recording into a PC as well. They're being phased out for the newer RP's so you can get them on the cheap. The Boss GT-10 is the only thing that comes close. It has it's benefits as well. Search for reviews.

PS I personally own a GNX4 and 3000. love'em
madmarcus1960
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2009-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by anaerobe Wed May 27, 2009 9:44 pm

Madmarcus - thanks, good info.

So, the poll expands a bit (a good thing):

Boss 2; Line 6 iterations 1; Digitech GNX3000/4 - 1
anaerobe
anaerobe

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Thu May 28, 2009 9:12 am

corsair wrote:Jeez, brother - no use asking me; all my FX are old Boss stompers bought when I was but a lad!!It must be said, though, that I prefer to stomp 'on' and then stomp 'off', rather than cycle through banks and pages in one of those multi things, eh!! Laughing
Um, what he said.

I'm even older and have less than John--a Boss Chorus CE3 and an Ibanez Digital delay DL10 which I use on vocals! Both circa early 1980's.

OK...I lied. Last year during a GAS attack I also picked up a Danelectro Shift Daddy and a Danelectro Rocky Road. Both very funky pedal effects and strictly for fun. clown

MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: https://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)
Barry
Barry
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 8755
Registration date : 2009-05-01

https://legend.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by anaerobe Thu May 28, 2009 11:45 am

THanks Barry!
anaerobe
anaerobe

Back to top Go down

Post by anaerobe Thu May 28, 2009 11:56 am

Madmarcus - I found a 2002 Digitech (which used to be "DOD" brand IIRC) Genesis I. Its new old stock, and its going for $99.... would this be anything like the GNX series that you have??

Thanks, it may be a good deal.

BTW, the score (after Barry 'fessed up with his new, hip and happenin' Danelectro arsenal - and including stomp boxes) is:

Boss - 3; Line 6 iterations - 1; Danelectro - 1; Digitech GNX series (DOD) - 1; Ibanez - 1
anaerobe
anaerobe

Back to top Go down

Post by madmarcus1960 Thu May 28, 2009 2:54 pm

Not the same animal. Stay with the 3000 or better yet, the GNX4. This studio engineer created a series of patches(for a cost) that totally expands the available amp models. This is because the GNX series has 2 amps on each patch(footswitchable) and through it's extensive computer editing, allows you to morph, blend, etc, and 2 amp/cab components to create new ones that you can store.

Check out http://www.guitarworkstation.com it is a forum for the GNX series and should answer all your questions. The poster guitar3456 is the above mentioned patch creator. His product is called MFXsupermodels. You can search that on the net as well. I own the GNX4 and GNX3000 patched he created. The GNX4 is much more extensive.
By the way the GNX4 uses a memory card like a digital camera to store direct recording you make live or it stores extra patches, midi files for the on board drum machine andthe part I like best, MP3's to jam with all in the GNX4 itself, no extra gear.

I've owned and own Line6 stuff, a Toneport UX1, I use it more as a direct box/soundcard than for the POD sounds. They're weak compared to the Digitech.
I heard the Boss GT series has more effects and but doesn'r model as well, also very confusing unless you put hours into it.
The GNX with the supermodel patches is pretty plug and play, especially into PA system. It's designed to be used with a full range system(L+R XLR's, plus 1pr of balance outs)

That should be enough info to make your head hurt Razz
madmarcus1960
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by anaerobe Thu May 28, 2009 3:18 pm

Awesome...! I'll just pop some ibuprofen (Hey Barry, send me some of that tongue ) and keep researching. Very Happy
anaerobe
anaerobe

Back to top Go down

[survey] Multieffects "pedals"  Zoom G2.1u vs. Boss ME 70 vs. Line 6 Pod v 2.0 vs. Line 6 Pod xt Empty Gear Advise

Post by hendrik Fri May 29, 2009 2:26 pm

Hi,

let me add some other brand to the discussion:
ZOOM G1 or G2...
Prices are around 100-200 CHF. No idea how the northern peso stand to the swiss franc. Laughing

http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/products/index.html

I have a GM-200. Amp Modeler + some effects.
Keeps the neighbours happy and the sound is fantastic. Also as an preamp into a big amp.
It's not produced anymore. But EBAY.....

H.
hendrik
hendrik

Number of posts : 195
Registration date : 2008-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by anaerobe Fri May 29, 2009 2:28 pm

Ah, for a few more northern pesos....

Thanks Hendrik.

I
anaerobe
anaerobe

Back to top Go down

Post by colt933 Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:34 pm

madmarcus1960 wrote:

I've owned and own Line6 stuff, a Toneport UX1, I use it more as a direct box/soundcard than for the POD sounds. They're weak compared to the Digitech.

Line6 products are in much more wide-spread use here in Nashville where they make and sell lots of records.

The high end Digitech products are great too, just not used on as many albums in Nashville as the Line6 stuff.
colt933
colt933

Number of posts : 583

Back to top Go down

Post by madmarcus1960 Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:41 pm

Line six is good for some stuff, It's my opinion that the new stuff isn't made as well, the sounds haven't really gotten better since they came around. Where you're in Nashville I'm sure most people aren't using the high gain(METAL!!) stuff that Line six is just not very good at. It does Fender ok, even though the new Amplitube Fender add on that just came out blows it out of the water.

It's all a matter of taste. The Dig-GNX4 is hands down the most flexible unit for live performance or PC recording, anyone that hasn't tried it with the Supermodels is just plain missing out.
madmarcus1960
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by anaerobe Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:50 am

There is also a Canadian made line of effects pedals that use tubes in their circuitry for emulation. Radial is the parent company.
I tried one out the other day (British pedal) - it sounds great.

Have a look:

http://www.tonebone.com/

Last edited by anaerobe on Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:23 am; edited 1 time in total
anaerobe
anaerobe

Back to top Go down

Post by anaerobe Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:55 am

Here's the link for Amplitude Fender software. Looks like you need a midi interface (???), I guess, to run this software properly, unless you have a compatible (quick) soundcard in your laptop/desktop.

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/fender/features/

Here's a quick video of its sounds and interface by a customer - the variety of sounds were many and really very impressive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8Pq81uj4G4
anaerobe
anaerobe

Back to top Go down

Post by anaerobe Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:01 pm

FWIW - I bought a used Zoom G2.1u with the expression pedal - (less money than a new Ibanez tubescreamer) - and am pretty happy with the effects. A little tweaking with the EQ gives you some nice sounds. The amp models are fine - nice and fat on those that are supposed to be. The Mesa and Fender Tweed clean models are really nice, as is modeled Boss metal pedal and the spring reverb.

Thanks Hendrik for the heads up!
anaerobe
anaerobe

Back to top Go down

[survey] Multieffects "pedals"  Zoom G2.1u vs. Boss ME 70 vs. Line 6 Pod v 2.0 vs. Line 6 Pod xt Empty Gear Advise II

Post by hendrik Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:29 pm

Hi,

I just bought a VOX Tonelab LE from EBAY.
In case someone is still looking for something new or get bored with his Line6, Digitech, ZOOM or something else stuff, I can highly recommend the board.

The modellings are really well done, the Cabinet's are much better as in Line6 Pod's. In my small POD I always switch them off!
As far as I remember it's the only board with has a separate effect loop. So even your favourite pedals can be use together with the VOX Tonelab. And MIDI is also in. Editing, switching .....

H.
hendrik
hendrik

Number of posts : 195
Registration date : 2008-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by anaerobe Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:40 pm

You the man, Hendrik.
anaerobe
anaerobe

Back to top Go down

Post by madmarcus1960 Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:24 am

The Boss GT series and the new Digitech RP1000 both have effect loops for external pedals. They also allow you to use what is called 4 cable method that uses all pre amp effects, such as OD, comp, wah, etc before the amp and puts the mods, delays, verbs after. They both allow you to do this by shutting off the modelling if you like your real amp.
madmarcus1960
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down