The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SPECTRUM ST neck with Spectrum III body???

+3
Westbone
corsair
T.M.A.
7 posters

Go down

SPECTRUM ST neck with Spectrum III body??? Empty SPECTRUM ST neck with Spectrum III body???

Post by T.M.A. Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:15 am

Hello my brothers in Matsumoku!

I've got a spectrum ST with the most lovely neck in the world. I love that guitar, but with my jcm 800 its' just TOO BRIGHT. Too bright and harsh. All that maple really is just too much. I've been swapping out pickups and messing around with 250k pots and such, but I'm looking to start swapping bodies as well. There's a Spectrum III on the bay that I'm thinking about. Would my ST neck fit on that body?

PEEEAAAAACCCEEE.

-T>M>A
T.M.A.
T.M.A.
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2013-10-02

Back to top Go down

SPECTRUM ST neck with Spectrum III body??? Empty Re: SPECTRUM ST neck with Spectrum III body???

Post by corsair Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:17 am

That Spectrum III will probably have a beautiful neck already on it; Ive got loads of Spectrums but their necks are shaded a little by the wide, flat and fast late model stuff.

Surprised you cant tame the sound with pick up changes, i have to say.... some of the lads in here have banged in GFS pups, amongst others, and like 'em a lot!
corsair

Number of posts : 6321
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

SPECTRUM ST neck with Spectrum III body??? Empty Re: SPECTRUM ST neck with Spectrum III body???

Post by T.M.A. Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:01 am

Haha! It's only a Spectrum III body. It has no neck! I was thinking that since my all maple ST body is so damn bright, that this poplar body might do the trick! I've got a great pickup in there now that a friend made for me. I think it's the one. Now, I just gotta tame that top end just a little!!! I gotta keep that 500k volume pot as well. -I just gotta have 500. I played the 250 for a bit but was not a fan. I head that RS kits make a big difference. Will call them today and see. My ST still has all the stock pots, switch etc. and I'm not so sure they are supporting my cause... So will it fit the body???
T.M.A.
T.M.A.
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by T.M.A. Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:02 am

Oh wait, sorry I guess you already gave me an answer in your first paragraph. A little wide you say?
T.M.A.
T.M.A.
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by T.M.A. Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:12 am

Was there ever a model of westone issued that would fit that ST neck?
T.M.A.
T.M.A.
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:18 am

Changing the body is not going to make a dramatic difference.
Chasing the wind there.
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 5917
Registration date : 2008-12-28

http://www.chruler.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by T.M.A. Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:38 am

Heh heh, you may be right there Westbone, but I'm open to trying things. I actually heard changing the body makes a great deal of difference. Have never tried it myself, obviously. I actually just ordered an RS kit that's supposed to help with my "too bright" issue. Will see if that works. My guitar sounds perfect. It's just a little too bright and harsh at gigging volumes.
T.M.A.
T.M.A.
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by T.M.A. Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:40 am

All suggestions are welcome.
T.M.A.
T.M.A.
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by gittarasaurus Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:46 am

maybe try a different speaker cabinet
Don\'t Know
gittarasaurus
gittarasaurus
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 1499
Registration date : 2011-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by T.M.A. Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:05 pm

Hmm... very interesting suggestion. No one has suggested that yet. Thanks!
T.M.A.
T.M.A.
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by T.M.A. Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:11 pm

Right now I'm using an Avatar Contemporary 2x12 closed back cab. Could it be? Hmmm...
T.M.A.
T.M.A.
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by punkyjam67 Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:48 pm

Or try an EQ pedal, or different/additional pre-amp, or heavier strings - it can all make a hell of a difference & would be on my list long before changing a guitar body... Smile
punkyjam67
punkyjam67
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 325
Registration date : 2012-10-26

Back to top Go down

Post by T.M.A. Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:55 pm

Indeed! Indeed! Yes, yes, yes. The strings I shall for sure check. I remember when I was experimenting with DR's vs Ernie Balls and the DR's were ALOT brighter. Correct me if I'm wrong. Thicker strings equals more tension on the neck, so one would loosen the truss rod. Vice vera for thiner strings -one would tighten the truss rod. Right? Any suggestions on a transparent EQ pedal? So far I've tried an old DOD and a BOSS GE-7 or whatever. Both sucked for EQ, but made great clean boosts!
T.M.A.
T.M.A.
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by T.M.A. Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:00 pm

My friend just gave me a big bag of pre amp tubes as well. I'm gonna start swapping those out as well...
T.M.A.
T.M.A.
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:17 pm

Seems like your trying everything possible....Laughing ... must have a bad case of the "highs"

What sound are you actually looking for??

Give us an example,,artist/band etc.

RS pots won't fit your Spectrum anyway.

Last edited by Westbone on Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 5917
Registration date : 2008-12-28

http://www.chruler.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:57 pm

Seems to me the easiest thing to do would be to change the capacitor to filter out the high frequency that's bugging you.

MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: https://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)
Barry
Barry
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 8700
Registration date : 2009-05-01

https://legend.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt. Vimes Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:41 pm

You do realise alcohol muffles your hearing? Drink Beer  
win win situation !
Sgt. Vimes
Sgt. Vimes
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 3322
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by punkyjam67 Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:12 am

Sgt. Vimes wrote:You do realise alcohol muffles your hearing? Drink Beer  
win win situation !
Tru dat! (as I believe the young ragamuffins say these days...) Wink
punkyjam67
punkyjam67
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by T.M.A. Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:12 am

I don't know what you're implying by this statement...Neutral
T.M.A.
T.M.A.
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by punkyjam67 Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:58 am

I believe it's Newton's Fourth Law of Physics:

"The more one drinks, the better ANY music sounds..." Wink
punkyjam67
punkyjam67
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down