The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alvarez AE300

2 posters

Go down

Alvarez AE300 Empty Alvarez AE300

Post by TVill25 Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:57 am

Alvarez AE300 20121112_213532

Alvarez AE300 20121112_213547

Alvarez AE300 20121112_213601

Alvarez AE300 20121112_213629

New guitar today. Alvarez AE300 with the modulus graphite neck.

Like the guitar. I have a vision of a custom pickguard and few less pickups. Also not too keen on the bridge. I need to get some lower saddle adjustment setscrew. The current ones rub on my palm. Emg selects not terrible but not MMK's. The neck is great and fast. The fretboard is phenolic and fast and the back of the neck feels like ceramic/glassy quick feel?? I could not pass up the deal so I went for it. It may stay with me or it may move on. I tried the neck on a spectrum body and it was not going to work. Sad I had hopes it would. Now that would have been killer.
TVill25
TVill25

Number of posts : 294
Registration date : 2011-01-23

Back to top Go down

Alvarez AE300 Empty Re: Alvarez AE300

Post by Brainfertilizer Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:12 am

Nice!
I have a Westone Villain Graphite and an Alvarez Scoop Graphite. The necks are really cool.
Alvarez were often seriously good guitars.

...but my prejudice is if I see a vintage strat trem on the guitar, I exit. Can't stand vintage strat trems. I can't get them to stay in tune at all.
Brainfertilizer

Number of posts : 525
Registration date : 2011-05-04

Back to top Go down

Post by TVill25 Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:11 am

Can't say it's my favorite trem. Know of any replacements. Maybe I should just transplant the neck?
TVill25
TVill25

Number of posts : 294
Registration date : 2011-01-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Brainfertilizer Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:41 am

The neck is the prize on that guitar, true.

If there is that much you don't like about the guitar (pickup numbers, trem, unimpressed by the tone), you might enjoy the neck better on a guitar body you dig.

But one thing I missed on first glance is that it is a 2-point trem instead of a 6-screw trem. You could measure the cavity and the distance between the points, and see if there is room to drop in a Bendmaster FT or a Floyd Rose double-locking aftermarket replacement like this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Black-Floyd-Rose-Lic-Tremolo-Bridge-Double-Locking-System-for-Guitar-/160921006256?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item2577a3b0b0

The thing I like about this trem, besides the price, is that it has replaceable knife points...that implies (though I'm not 100% sure) that the knife point inserts are hardened steel. The biggest problem with cheap trems is that they use cheaper steel, which is softer. The inserts allow them to use only a small bit of more expensive, harder steel, and the rest of the trem can be cheap/softer metal, helping them save production costs.

Now, is that true, or do they still use cheap, soft steel for the inserts?

Dunno.

But it is cheap enough that it might be worth trying out before you junk the guitar body.

If you find a trem that works, drop in a new pickguard with the pickup configuration you like in something like a tortoiseshell red, you would have a killer guitar that you love.
Brainfertilizer

Number of posts : 525
Registration date : 2011-05-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down