The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I Bought A Westone Dimension iv

+8
The Chad
fish
corsair
beavis
Iceman
hoax
hobster
rabidgerry
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

I Bought A Westone Dimension iv Empty I Bought A Westone Dimension iv

Post by rabidgerry Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:03 am

Hi guy's how is everyone? Very Happy

Pleased to have joined you on your forum.

Ok well I bought my first Westone during the week, I had quite a battle on ebay with the seller and ended up paying a hell of a lot more than I could done had I bid on the guitar the first time it was listed!!!! Anyways I got it for $550 and I just wanted to know if I got it at a good price?

It looked in excellent shape from the photos. I have not received the guitar yet as I'm here in the Northern Ireland and the guitar is coming from USA.

From the photos a saw a few little chips, about 2 on the largest point at the rear of the guitar. Then a miniscule one at the top of the head stock.

Seller claimed the guitar was in perfect working order, no fret wear, electronically sound, and bridge hardware in good order.

Now I haven't seen it or even played it yet but I just wanted to know if this was a good price or did I over pay for $550?

It came with the original case, knobs and whammy bar. "very clean" according to seller, think that's a term for good condition amongst guitar sellers, dunno Laughing

It's a white one with the red graphic.

I was inspired to get one of these guitars by Jeff Mantas of Venom fame. He plays a black one on a Venom live in Hammersmith dvd I have. I always wondered what the hell the guitar was, I thought it may have been an ice warrior but realised it was better and much nicer than that crap Jackson guitar. Anyways it took me years to find out what it was, and when I did I'd figure I'd try get one rather than buy a new Fender Strat which I'd also my eye on lol!

The thing that struck me about the Dimension IV from the video was the unique tone of the guitar, in fact that is my main motivationbehind getting it. I was never one for crazy pointy guitars (traditional Flying V shape excluded Wink ) but then the shape started to grow on me and I just new having a Dimension IV would be MAD!!!

Later I realised on the Venom album "Possessed" the guitar primarily used was Jeff Mants' Dimension IV which in my opionion is a unique guitar sound, so this sealed the deal for me. Had to get one.

Now I'm waiting on the guitar arriving I'm hoping I got a good deal and it's not in bits or the seller has been dishonest in any way. There were a tonne of photos and I inspected them time and time again so I hope it's all good.

Let me know what you fellas think of the price I paid.

When I get it I will let you know what I think, may be make some sound clips also!!!! Twisted Evil

Let me know what you think of this purchase.

Last edited by rabidgerry on Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:24 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : forgot the album title)
rabidgerry
rabidgerry
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2012-01-28

http://www.myspace.com/rabidbitch

Back to top Go down

I Bought A Westone Dimension iv Empty Re: I Bought A Westone Dimension iv

Post by hobster Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:03 pm

Mercyful Fate, Venom? Awesome, haven't heard those names in a while. I used to love Venom back in the mid 80's when i lived in Holland. Still have all of their albums and a great poster from the Black Metal tour with special guests : Metallica Kill em all. Missed the show, but it would have been cool to see Metallica open for Venom.
As for the axe, pricing is so relative and it really is about what you think its worth. I think thats the general attitude here, prices vary so much.
hobster
hobster

Number of posts : 691
Registration date : 2009-08-16

Back to top Go down

Post by hoax Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:52 pm

Hello and welcome.

Sorry I can't help you with the value as I know very little about Dimensions. I am sure that others will be able to give you an opinion. Stick around and get involved. This is a great little forum.

Hoax

Smile
hoax
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 1104
Registration date : 2009-09-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Iceman Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:34 pm

Welcome to you Rabid! Used to groove to Mercyful Fate quite often back in the late 80's and also some Venom as well.

To your main question all I can say is your worries about having overpaid will go away soon after you start shredding away on that axe. Search the forums for posts about the Dynasty model and you will get an idea of what to expect for tones and options on yours, which is a rarer bird to my eyes.

Here is a link to our archive side of the site to whet your appetite ...

http://www.westoneguitars.net/guitars/dimension-iv-x4/

And a link to the Dynasty just for good measure ...

http://www.westoneguitars.net/guitars/dynasty-xv2/

Chad will be along to add his opinions I am sure.

Iceman
Iceman
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 2894
Registration date : 2011-02-22

http://www.glowingtubes.com/p/Kahler_Instructions.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by beavis Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:52 am

Hi there!

I am the happy owner of a white/red graphics dimension IV. Here is the thread of when I bought it http://forum.westoneguitars.net/t1796-second-hand-no-really-westone-dimension-guitar-terrible-condition-worth-it .

As you will see, I paid what would now be around 140$ for it, knowing it was in a poor condition and has some medium to serious marks (wood chip on the tip, some saw (yes the mind boggles) mark on it as well, the electronics need mending and some hard to find parts were missing).

If it's in great condition, 550$ is a fair price. Anyway, the guitar will kick ass to any stupidly overpriced Gibson or PRS.

Mainly, as Iceman so rightly says, once you get your hands on it, you will have the impression you ripped the seller off, the guitar's a shredding machine Twisted Evil

Oh, and last but not least, don't mean to be cheeky, but why question the price now that it is paid and the item on its way?

cheers
beavis
beavis

Number of posts : 385
Registration date : 2011-01-19

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:27 am

I'm the resident cheap bar steward who's never paid over NZ$300 for a Matsumoku guitar, and hence I reckon you got involved in a bidding war - like most of us have here at some stage!! - and went mad and wound up almost regretting winning the auction. And now, of course, you've got the wait for the guitar to wend its way across the water, hopefully on one piece... Ain't life grand?!

To me, 550 seems a lot, BUT.... If it is in very good nick, you may be on a winner as the price of these guitars, and that would be Westone in general, seems to be going ever upwards these days. Add to the mix the fact that you actually want this thing SO bad, then I would think a win all round, given that the guitar is in good nick as the seller says. He's taking the neck off to ship, right?!

You're right about the sound; these have MMK 45s onboard which are a good raunchy pickup with tons of presence and a tone of their own. They're quite versatile as well, being capable of mixing in the middle s/c, coil splitting the h/bs and reversing the phase therein, so a really capable instrument which was, in terms of versatility, a little ahead of its time.

So, you probably did OK; we'd love to see this when you've got it in your hot little hands.....
corsair

Number of posts : 6321
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by fish Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:05 am

beavis wrote: Oh, and last but not least, don't mean to be cheeky, but why question the price now that it is paid and the item on its way?cheers

Yeah the price sounds OK to me, I always seem to pay too much but remember..........

"The Quality Is Remembered Long After The Price Is Forgotten?" Very Happy
fish
fish

Number of posts : 277
Registration date : 2010-12-16

http://www.fisherrestoration.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Iceman Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:09 pm

fish wrote:..."The Quality Is Remembered Long After The Price Is Forgotten?" Very Happy

Or putting a slight twixt on it...

"The bitter taste of poor quality lingers on long after the sweet aroma of a cheap price."
Iceman
Iceman

Back to top Go down

Post by hoax Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:16 pm

Iceman wrote:
fish wrote:..."The Quality Is Remembered Long After The Price Is Forgotten?" Very Happy

Or putting a slight twixt on it...

"The bitter taste of poor quality lingers on long after the sweet aroma of a cheap price."

Ice

You have nailed it. That completely sums up Lidl Brandy and coke-a-like. Very Happy
hoax
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Iceman Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:37 pm

I would think that quantity would play as much a part as quality in that situation.

I can recount a particular occasion personally when quantity won the race to the tipping point and quality for the balance of the evening (and following early morning) consisted of SoCo & Mountain Dew followed by Jager & Dr. Pepper. The session was rounded out towards the end by the novel combination of Yukon & Clamato with a splash of Grenadine for color.

...if you follow me. Actually no.... you do not wish to ride that train.
Iceman
Iceman

Back to top Go down

Post by Iceman Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:44 pm

Soooo, back on topic.

As long as the seller was forthright in his description Rabid I believe you will be quite pleased even at the price you paid. I have in all honesty seen a few of these for sale in the past year at lower prices, but quality or other factors were wanting in those cases.

Obviously who wouldn't want to chance upon one forgotten in a pawn shop and haggled down to a Benjamin or the equivalent. For you though I'm confident the proof'll be in the puddin'.
Iceman
Iceman

Back to top Go down

Post by rabidgerry Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:49 am

hobster wrote:Mercyful Fate, Venom? Awesome, haven't heard those names in a while. I used to love Venom back in the mid 80's when i lived in Holland. Still have all of their albums and a great poster from the Black Metal tour with special guests : Metallica Kill em all. Missed the show, but it would have been cool to see Metallica open for Venom.
As for the axe, pricing is so relative and it really is about what you think its worth. I think thats the general attitude here, prices vary so much.

Hey man cheers!! I love all that music, I got into Mercyful fate bout 2 year ago after avoiding them for years, I dunno I never liked the impression I had of them in my mind, now I'M A BIG FAN lol!

I think the price I got for my guitar is good, but it better be in one piece when it arrives!!!

I was probably about 1 or 2 when you went to those shows!!! hahaha I discovered Venom and sorta traditonal metal in the bad old 90's, bad time to get into that music let me tell ya!!! Some said I missed the train!! But it got popular again!!!
rabidgerry
rabidgerry
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by rabidgerry Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:51 am

Iceman wrote:Welcome to you Rabid! Used to groove to Mercyful Fate quite often back in the late 80's and also some Venom as well.

To your main question all I can say is your worries about having overpaid will go away soon after you start shredding away on that axe. Search the forums for posts about the Dynasty model and you will get an idea of what to expect for tones and options on yours, which is a rarer bird to my eyes.

Here is a link to our archive side of the site to whet your appetite ...

And a link to the Dynasty just for good measure ...

Chad will be along to add his opinions I am sure.

Man thanks for that, nice to be put at ease, and thanks for this links, will check 'em out. Up the Mercyful Fate yeeeooo!!!
rabidgerry
rabidgerry
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by rabidgerry Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:28 am

beavis wrote:
Oh, and last but not least, don't mean to be cheeky, but why question the price now that it is paid and the item on its way?

cheers

Hey man thanks for getting back to me, I don't think your question is cheeky at all, reason why I was questioning the price is because I know the prices vary on these bad boy's and I read another thread where people had been advising a guy that his price was too high for a similar dimension to the one I bought and his had more damage, no knobs etc etc

so I was curious about my price and what I paid. I wanna state this for the record also, I could bought this buy it now for $499 at one point, and again one it by auction for $399 as no one paid for it. When it was $499 I made two offers on it. My last being $425. The seller then on ebay blocked me after this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Shocked

I was raging!! Had to call in special forces to bag it in the end, and when I say that I mean I'd actually to get my mate to put down another offer for me as the guitar was "buy it now" or "best offer" on ebay

by this stage the guy had put the guitar the buy it now to $700!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was near heart broken, so as I said I got my buddy to stick down an offer then of $550 and thankfully the guy took it!!

so from $399 to $499 to $700!!! INSANE
rabidgerry
rabidgerry
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by rabidgerry Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:39 am

Thanks to all who said hello too!! Pleasure to join ya all Wink

guy's I'd post some links to to ebay completed listings but I aint got those rights yet being a newbie.

ebay.co.uk/itm/1985-Westone-Dimension-IV-Electric-Guitar-NICE-OHSC-INTERNATIONAL-SHIPPING-/280808895316?pt=Guitar&hash=item416183b354

check this item out, I deleted the http out so I could post this and www
rabidgerry
rabidgerry
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

I Bought A Westone Dimension iv Empty Re: I Bought A Westone Dimension iv Post rabidgerry Today at 10:49 am

Post by fish Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:19 am

Iceman wrote: the proof'll be in the puddin'.

Hello Gerry? the Puddin indeed, Don't mean to be cheeky but have you thought about CUSTOMS charges :!:

Your My Space ''Raibid Bitch of the North'' site looks good. Burn My Boots, the pointy will fit in well there Very Happy
fish
fish

Back to top Go down

Post by rabidgerry Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:33 am

Yeah I'm prepared for the charges, I'm bracing myself for them.

I did try ask the seller to stick down that it was a gift and under £50, but he'd already sent or some crap.

Anyways, I'm not sure on this but as far as I know the custom charges are like a lottery, I order a lot from states and sometimes I get nailed, and sometimes I don't. I was nailed one time when the item wasn't over £50 and it was down to the fact that they read it as £50 where as it actually said $50 which is not the correct amount.

Customs charges are the worst thing ever, bloody cheek if you ask me.

Thanks for checking out the myspace, currently writing a lot more new material, better guitar sounds than those on those myspace tunes which are on first band ep. Doing a single next, PRIME OPPORTUNITY FOR THE DIMENSION IV!!!!

Made a few dummy recordings just using my Fat Strat, sounding good if I do say so myself.

Think for Burn my Boots I used mainly my Tokai Flying V FV48 MIK (not an insanely expensive guitar but its a fantastic instrument and even better for the money). Got that Tokai re fretted with insanely hi frets, fingers barely touch the would now, feels weird but I like the height.

Something else that makes that Tokai nice is adding a Fender Fat Finger!!! Makes it more like an original Gibson V. Really enhances overtones.

Anyways babbling as usual.

Last edited by rabidgerry on Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:38 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : english didn't make sense)
rabidgerry
rabidgerry
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by The Chad Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:21 pm

Iceman wrote: Chad will be along to add his opinions I am sure.

... and here I am. Laughing

Ice is right. As well as the other boys so far. Quality vs. Price (gotta throw condition in there as well), quality will always win baby! Cool

Sound: Get ready to be quite amazed. I say that because of the weird versatility that this thing throws down. It's odd, really. Doesn't need it. Yet it's there all the same. Gives a combination of 18 different sounds, which you'll primarily use on a clean channel. Its clean sound is remarkable, especially considering the "metal" look of the guitar. Distorted, there isn't as much of a difference between them all to make it worth it, IMO. The black Dim IV that Venom dude plays looks bone stock. Which is cool, because as you'd pointed out, it has a sound character all its own. I love it. The Dynasty essentially the same guitar but in a Vee, and is the same sound, maybe a tad different due to weird scientific stuff regarding virbration paths and junk I don't get. The neck humbucker is deep, sounds great in the sweet spot between the 11th and 18th frets. The bridge isn't as bright as most others are, because the MMK45's pickups are pretty well rounded. The bridge is great for metal. The sound is hard to describe, lots of attitude and almost has a slight little hollow property under distortion if that makes any sense, although "hollow" isn't at all the right term. Makes it sound so different, I've had compliments on "What is that thing" regarding the sound. Kudos to Westone for these pickups. Harmonics are pretty easy to pull off, and palm mutes are good.

Build: Like a freakin' tank. The enamel is like epoxy, so thick and bulletproof. Quality built instrument, tight and secure. The only unfortunate part is the bridge. They're strange, would've been better off with a hard tail or a Floyd copy. You'll get this Dim IV in your hand and think "wow this thing is solid". Let me know if I'm wrong.

Feel: Frets are nice and chunky, feels great with nice big frets like that. The neck isn't too thick or thin, with a good contour that doesn't quite fill the hand, encouraging you to move up and down without it feeling like effort. This is what they call a "fast" neck. By the way, that only matters if you can play fast. Laughing Radius isn't overly flat, it allows for chording real easily. I wish the neck was a higher radius (a wee bit flatter) but oh well.

So there ya go. Let us know when she arrives! Search the forum for any Dimension IV posts, you'll see some cool stuff. Oh yeah, and click on this.... Dimensin IV demo
The Chad
The Chad
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 2772
Registration date : 2011-02-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:08 pm

I think you can throw the Spectrum GT into this comparison too.
Same electronics:

I Bought A Westone Dimension iv SpectrumGTcloseup1newknobs-800x600

Don't know if the body style changes anything significantly or not.

MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: https://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)
Barry
Barry

Number of posts : 8689
Registration date : 2009-05-01

https://legend.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by hobster Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:30 am

I was thinking the same thing about my Spectrum FX and Electra Westone X199, they have the same electronic setup as my Dynasty. The FX has different pickups but thats the only difference.
hobster
hobster

Back to top Go down

Post by Iceman Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:14 am

The origin of that pup/wiring configuration can be found here...

http://www.rivercityamps.com/electrapage/comments.php?y=08&m=01&entry=entry080123-091934

The Phoenix/Spectrum was the longest running of all the models imported by SLM if memory serves.
Iceman
Iceman

Back to top Go down

Post by rabidgerry Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:52 am

Ok the guitar has made it to the uk....

bad news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was stung another £106 pound for imort tax!!! Fairly taken the joy outta getting this guitar. Had the seller simply stuck down the item was a gift I'd avoided the charge!!

I will ge my guitar tomorrow hopefully, will let ya all know what it's like. At the mo there is a huge dampner on the purchase Sad
rabidgerry
rabidgerry
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by The Chad Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:56 pm

WOW, that is a blow... Shocked

Stupid taxes.
The Chad
The Chad
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by fish Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:46 pm

rabidgerry wrote:Ok the guitar has made it to the uk....

bad news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was stung another £106 pound for imort tax!!! Fairly taken the joy outta getting this guitar. Had the seller simply stuck down the item was a gift I'd avoided the charge!!

I will ge my guitar tomorrow hopefully, will let ya all know what it's like. At the mo there is a huge dampner on the purchase Sad

It wont make you feel any better "rabid" but, you'll just have to think of it as your contribution to the mess the EU. Blair & Brown got us into. my last contribution was £320 import VAT. affraid vote UKIP.

Ooops sorry John Very Happy

I'm sure the axe will give you a lot of pleasure "rabid" & as I said "The Quality Is Remembered Long After The Price Is Forgotten?"

Last edited by fish on Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
fish
fish

Back to top Go down

Post by hobster Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:24 pm

Wow, and people complain about the taxes here! Evil or Very Mad
hobster
hobster

Back to top Go down

Post by fish Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:37 pm

hobster wrote:Wow, and people complain about the taxes here! Evil or Very Mad

If a US seller puts down the full item value on the shipping insurance, I believe 20% VAT is charged on total value including
shipping cost, PLUS £15.00 UK Post Office handling charge!! pale

Not only are we paying the Government/EU to wast our tax on useless wind turbines just to name but one ludicrous situation.
Premium unleaded is around £6.10=$9.68 a gallon, Diesel is £6.50=$10.33 What a Face
fish
fish

Back to top Go down

Post by hoax Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:01 pm

fish wrote:

If a US seller puts down the full item value on the shipping insurance, I believe 20% VAT is charged on total value including
shipping cost, PLUS £15.00 UK Post Office handling charge!! pale

Not only are we paying the Government/EU to wast our tax on useless wind turbines just to name but one ludicrous situation.
Premium unleaded is around £6.10=$9.68 a gallon, Diesel is £6.50=$10.33 What a Face

Could not agree with you more fishy one!

We are being totally ripped off so that we can roll over and allow state spending on paying benefits to Al Qaida suspects, paying millions of bonuses to city fat cats in state owned banks, paying benefits to generations who make a career choice not to work, local authority nappy awareness officers, performance development managers, community involvement teams, diversity departments.

Think of your salary and deduct income tax, national insurance, council tax, road tax, Vat, insurance tax, tuition fees, parking fees, fuel duty, prescription fees (England?). You end up with Jack Sh** to save, and when you do save, you get appalling rates and have to pay tax on the interest accrued.

Hoax

Evil or Very Mad

Last edited by hoax on Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:48 am; edited 2 times in total
hoax
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Iceman Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:44 pm

Not to worry there Hobs, VAT will be here before you know it.

We really are a stupid populace to even allow such talk by our politicians. You would think we could just look to those places in the world, the UK for example, to see what a canard these gimmicks are.

Unfortunately the have-nots and don't-wannas have come to realize they can vote their income from the treasury given the right candidate ... so long as they don't care about giving away their rights in the bargain.
Iceman
Iceman

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:12 am

Don't apologise to me, man - I live in Australia!!
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by beavis Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:20 am

Just to play the devil's advocate here (hey that's my job anyway), I think it's useful to distinguish sales taxes and VAT from administrative costs such as customs duties like the "UK post office charges" mentioned earlier by Fish. The first tend to (emphasis on that) generally increase the state's income allowing it to pay for all the things the people want it to pay for (Al Qaida suspects and unemployed bums, but also healthcare, public schools, law enforcement) when the latter are just an old relic of Renaissance State protectionism aimed at dissuading people to buy foreign and import. These fees should disappear but it's easy money and people generally do not complain about it.

Funnily enough, the way to go, at least here, seems to be to live off debt (instead of saving your hard earned cash) - mortgage on your house for instance - as this is fully tax deductible.
beavis
beavis

Back to top Go down

Post by fish Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:40 am

corsair wrote:Don't apologise to me, man - I live in Australia!!

Luck you John nice & warm too I bet, bloody cold in the UK right now.

No, I was referring to your rebuke the last time I posted affraid vote UKIP

beavis wrote:Just to play the devil's advocate here (hey that's my job anyway), I think it's useful to distinguish sales taxes and VAT from administrative costs such as customs duties like the "UK post office charges" mentioned earlier by Fish.

All agreed Beavis, tax is a necessary evil but hoax'y & I are complaining about the way taxes are being wasted right now here in rip off Britain, propping up Banks & a currency € we don't even belong to, the loss of sovereignty in the form of the EU that no one in the UK ever voted to belong to & paying the EU £3 Billion a week on top for the privilege.

Last edited by fish on Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:52 am; edited 1 time in total
fish
fish

Back to top Go down

Post by beavis Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:06 am

fish wrote:
All agreed Beavis, tax is a necessary evil but hoax'y & I are complaining about the way taxes are being wasted right now here in rip off Britain, propping up Banks & a currency € we don't even belong to, the loss of sovereignty in the form of the EU that no one in the UK ever voted to belong to & paying the EU £3 Billion a week for the privilege.

True. I guess what I was trying to say is that when you pay taxes, it is legitimate to expect of the government to do something useful with the cash, which is less the case with administrative costs which only exist to be a pain in the ass and serve as candy money for god-knows who.

As for this Euro business, well I'm in Switzerland. Maybe not as far away from trouble as Australia, but helpful for the time being as we are more or less getting the best of both worlds through bilateral agreements.
beavis
beavis

Back to top Go down

Post by rabidgerry Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:12 am

£106 is definitely a fee to dissuade folks from buying abroad, something I do a lot. Why?

Cause I can't get what I need here all the time. I'll never quit that, if something is cheaper abroad, I will also buy it then if cheaper than my local shop.

Anyways guys, the guitar was played for the 1st time last night.

My initial thoughts on the condition are that is in excellent shape, the chips on lower point are no more than the photos in the guitar description, however I tend to remember them in my head more than anything which kinda grates on my "ultra fussy" standards (my other guitars are immaculate).

Anyways, the main surfaces are fairly on scratched, and when I say scratch I mean the little hair line type you see only in the sheen of light. The hardware, well what can I say, looks almost new, that is the bridge and locking nut.

The pick ups pole pieces and screws as well as toggle switch mounting ring are all a little corroded.

Thats a basic run down on the condition aesthetically is that it's in very good condition. I have a question: is it possible to get chips restored?

Something also to note is the fact that the guitar has been photographed more white in colour than it actually is, the colour is virtually yellow now!!! I don't mind it was just surprising!! I looks like an old white snooker/pool ball

Ok sounds, I didn't remember the pick up/switching config last night when I got hold of the guitar so was stumbling around it blindly. Initial impression reminded me of my flying V, but not. It has a really good set of electronic controls, very responsive tone knobs and lovely range of tone on tap, the highs are sweetly trashy when desired and cleans are gorgeous, good for "The Police" style Roland jazz chorus tones. Can achieve some stratty tones on this bad boy also. I quite like the grunty middle pick up/combinations, interesting distorted.

I haven't played it enough however to get familiar with the guitars up close and personal character tone. After band practice I came home and plugged it in to my recording unit and got a bit of an idea, it was late though so I only got messing around for bout 20 mins.

I will do some recording with it over the next week though and get my ears stuck into the tonal goodness.

Another question, the pick up selector switch could do with replacing, will this de value the guitar if I change this? Also what about if I replace the screws?

And is there anything I can do to get rid of the corrosion on the pole pieces.

The neck on the guitar is superb by the way.

Also case was in good nick as well!! Guitar is way lighter than I'm used to what with my Fat strat floyd rose.

Last edited by rabidgerry on Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:14 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
rabidgerry
rabidgerry
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by The Chad Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:46 am

Glad you're liking it so far. I'd heard of a few tips for some cosmetic improvements, here they are...

For the screws, either buy new black screws or use a Bic brand "Tuxedo Black" Sharpie on them. Don't use a regular marker, they leave a purple-ish hue behind, use the Bic Tuxedo Black. BCR Music here in Pennsylvania uses markers (they're a major player in guitars, they work on the stars' guitars) and wow do they ever work, it's surprising. It may need touching up now and again, but who cares.

For the pole pieces, screw them up so that they're raised slightly out of the plastic housing. Use a fine pointed metal thingy of your choice and gently scrape them off the best you can, maybe have a vacuum cleaner running beside you with the hose attachment positioned beside the pickup you're scraping so that it sucks up any corrosion you scrape off. Then try wiping them out with cotton swabs (Q tips). After this, use that same Bic Tuxedo Black marker on them. If the fine point doesn't go down into the hex heads of the pole pieces, then twist the point around in the hex head until the ink begins to seep down into them. Let them dry and return the pole pieces to the height they were before.

For the chips on the points, it may be tough to match since it's that beautiful aged white color. Go to your local DIY (Home Depot, Lowes, paint store, or whatever you have in your area) and ask the pros to find a matching paint color. Touch it up with that paint.

After a little while of playing it though, you may find that you don't mind the chips. They add attitude to the guitar, shows it's been rockin' for a while. There are two types of guitar people... ones that play their guitars, and ones that collect their guitars. Collectors usually look at cosmetics, players usually look at feel and sound. Of all the serious guitarists I'd ever met, they were not too concerned about correcting blemishes. The guitar is a tool, an instrument to be played, and it has a story to tell. Anyway, enjoy the guitar!
The Chad
The Chad
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by rabidgerry Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:27 am

The Chad wrote:

After a little while of playing it though, you may find that you don't mind the chips. They add attitude to the guitar, shows it's been rockin' for a while. There are two types of guitar people... ones that play their guitars, and ones that collect their guitars. Collectors usually look at cosmetics, players usually look at feel and sound. Of all the serious guitarists I'd ever met, they were not too concerned about correcting blemishes. The guitar is a tool, an instrument to be played, and it has a story to tell. Anyway, enjoy the guitar!

Man thank you for those tips, I really appreciate them, I will let you know how I get on with refurbishment.

I know what ya mean man, I'm definately a player though Wink !!!! But I am seriously into looking after my kit, just the way me Ma brought me up!! And I've noticed I can sell it better for good price when it comes to moving on. I don't have enough guitars to be a collector!!! 5?? One is a bass? When I get a guitar I treat it like a child!! Over the top may be but it's usually cause I worked my nuts off to pay for it and it just shows how much I value it IMO.

For me amounting a guitar collection would purely be for a sound arsenal, having a number of tones at my disposal. I still haven't got the Westones yet.

I have discovered an issue with the 11th fret, it's the only fret that rattles (and boy does it rattle). So it's either the 12th fret is too high or the 11th is too low. Either way I'm going to have to get it sorted by a luthier. At the mo I can get by, but it was a little scary to discover this dud area of the neck, I though for a second something had happened at the saddle, then I realised it was just the one fret. Pretty random.

Will post some photos soon and some clips (If I can record anything without sounding to sloppy).

I have a question about the trem springs, they are dam noisey, I have muffled these on my strat, has anyone ever done this with their Dimension iv? I notice I get a little bit of feedback with the guitar, more than me strat and flying V, the noisey springs may cause excess microphonics?? Or does anyone know if the pickups in westones are potted in wax? Or has anyone done this with their pick ups? I've potted lots of pick ups over the years so I'm not afriad to do it if I have too but thought I'd ask here what the low down is with westone pickups and feedback etc etc.

Chad thanks again for those tips!!
rabidgerry
rabidgerry
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by The Chad Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:31 pm

I'm the same way with my guitars, I completely understand. Take good care of what ya got, period!

For the springs, I hadn't experienced noisy springs before so I can't help there. Potting the pups may help, I know people have done it. Can't hurt can it? The sound is a little microphonic, that is true, I'd noticed that also. Moreso than other pups. I love it that way though. And the Dim IV that the Venom dude played appeared to be bone stock, so that sound is part of the charm. Enjoy the guitar, hope you love it!
The Chad
The Chad
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by rabidgerry Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:09 am

The Chad wrote:I'm the same way with my guitars, I completely understand. Take good care of what ya got, period!

For the springs, I hadn't experienced noisy springs before so I can't help there. Potting the pups may help, I know people have done it. Can't hurt can it? The sound is a little microphonic, that is true, I'd noticed that also. Moreso than other pups. I love it that way though. And the Dim IV that the Venom dude played appeared to be bone stock, so that sound is part of the charm. Enjoy the guitar, hope you love it!

Totally!!! HAHAHAHAH may be I will leave it a bit microphonic, your right Venom guys feedsback a lot during that show, I have the dvd and it wails a few times, nice n noisely though if you get me lol!

The springs on my guitar are totally overly noisey, may be I'll dampen them same as I have on my strat (little bit of thin sponge under trem springs) but I'll not pot the pickups. The pickups move about a good bit also.

Chad you didn't sell me this guitar did you? It came from Pennsylvania!!!!

I will have some sound clips soon, I'm loving it so far. Was playing at home last night just doing random stuff, really stands out on its own when I was soloing with it whilst I'd rhythm strat track playing in back ground. Was good fun!!!

Alsp was playing with other settings, got some nice teleish rock n roll tones!!! Great guitar!!

Still adjusting to what height I have to play this at, I generally play my guitars very hi up!! But I kinda need to play the Dimension IV a bit lower, weird.
rabidgerry
rabidgerry
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by The Chad Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:07 am

rabidgerry wrote:[Chad you didn't sell me this guitar did you? It came from Pennsylvania!!!!

cheers No, wasn't me, but that's cool it came from the greatest state in the Union!

If it would've been mine, I probably wouldn't have sold it. Laughing
The Chad
The Chad
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:17 pm

If you take the guitar into a halfway decent paint store, they'll be ble to EXACTLY match the colour around the chip for you and either make you a spray bomb or a tin. And that yellowed white is just glorious I reckon; I have a Spectrum St and Genesis II in the same finish....
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:49 pm

rabidgerry wrote:...The springs on my guitar are totally overly noisey, may be I'll dampen them same as I have on my strat (little bit of thin sponge under trem springs)...
This is the slickest way to dampen noisy springs that I've seen. No chance of the sponge working loose!LINK

Barry
Barry

Back to top Go down

Post by hobster Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:24 pm

Barry wrote:
rabidgerry wrote:...The springs on my guitar are totally overly noisey, may be I'll dampen them same as I have on my strat (little bit of thin sponge under trem springs)...
This is the slickest way to dampen noisy springs that I've seen. No chance of the sponge working loose!LINK

Wow, good stuff Barry, you always have great links and information. I feel i've learned alot from you, thank you for all your help. I wish i had an extra set of MMK's for you, but it looks like the Ice has you covered. You is OK my man.

Pennsylvania? Naaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwww not the greatest state in the land there Chad, that would be OREGON :!: Very Happy Hooked 2 beautiful steelhead today by the coast and i'll be snowboarding friday. LOVE the great Northwest.
hobster
hobster

Back to top Go down

Post by rabidgerry Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:27 am

Thanks for the link!! Can't check it here in work, they've blocked youtube!!

Will check later.

Guy's here is a really daft (stupid) question, how do you say Westone? I've been saying West -Tone but people are telling me it's West One?

West Tone makes more sense to me.

Oh and thanks Corsair for the paint advise. I know my local home depot type store does paint matching, I'm not sure if they do a spray tin though? You get these in the states?

P.s Pennsylvania is cool, Larry Holmes, George Romero ohhhhhhh and Kurt Angle!!!! geek
rabidgerry
rabidgerry
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by gittarasaurus Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:47 am

rabidgerry wrote:
Guy's here is a really daft (stupid) question, how do you say Westone? I've been saying West -Tone but people are telling me it's West One?

West Tone makes more sense to me.

wes-TONE

we are talking guitars here, and that means it is all about the TONE

west one sounds like a real estate company or something...... lol!
gittarasaurus
gittarasaurus
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 1498
Registration date : 2011-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by rabidgerry Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:42 am

gittarasaurus wrote:

wes-TONE

Yeah that's what I THOUGHT!!! But I've had lamos say West One!!! Douch bags!!!

I was trying to spell it phonetically when I typed West Tone just badly!! I've always said it like that. Laughing
rabidgerry
rabidgerry
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:41 am

hobster wrote:...Wow, good stuff Barry, you always have great links and information. I feel i've learned alot from you, thank you for all your help...
You're very welcome. Happy to be of some help.

Barry
Barry

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:53 am

gittarasaurus wrote:..wes-TONE
(There is a thread on this very topic--somewhere.) I tend to emphasize the first syllable: Wes-tone. I don't know if that was the original intent but it seems to trip off the tongue easiest that way.

It is! Seen it used in both Toronto and Vancouver real estate ads.

Barry
Barry

Back to top Go down

Post by gittarasaurus Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:44 am

Barry wrote:
gittarasaurus wrote:..wes-TONE
(There is a thread on this very topic--somewhere.) I tend to emphasize the first syllable: Wes-tone. I don't know if that was the original intent but it seems to trip off the tongue easiest that way.

yes actually that is the way i pronounce it as well, i was emphasizing the 'TONE' because i believe that was part of the mindset of the name originally, not 'ONE' .

i always thought Westone was a great name for a guitar.

coming from Japan, the far east, to appeal to America, the West, and yes of course being guitars it IS all about the TONE.
i think it is a very nice conjunction of concepts to create a new name. Very Happy

gittarasaurus
gittarasaurus
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 1498
Registration date : 2011-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by The Chad Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:53 am

Ya'll is wrong. It's "we-stone". As in, we pelt them with rocks. Seems odd though... maybe referring to the competition?! Laughing

And Hobs, that Steelhead sounds GOOD! Bet it's good with bacon. We got good bacon 'round here. Everything's better with bacon. pig

And for my friends accross the pond, you haven't lived until you've experienced our American style of Bacon (insert drooling icon here). Rashers just aren't even close I'm afraid.
The Chad
The Chad
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:25 pm

rabidgerry wrote:Oh and thanks Corsair for the paint advise. I know my local home depot type store does paint matching, I'm not sure if they do a spray tin though? You get these in the states?

You're welcome, and I've had spray bombs made in New Zealand, Australia and the UK, you generally get these from firms that supply the automotive paint industry, and I'm betting there's a couple in Belfast! Very Happy
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by rabidgerry Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:28 am

corsair wrote:
rabidgerry wrote:Oh and thanks Corsair for the paint advise. I know my local home depot type store does paint matching, I'm not sure if they do a spray tin though? You get these in the states?

You're welcome, and I've had spray bombs made in New Zealand, Australia and the UK, you generally get these from firms that supply the automotive paint industry, and I'm betting there's a couple in Belfast! Very Happy

my apologies Corsair, I assumed you were stateside when I said about the paint!! Yeah I gotta check the paint shop out. Too busy playing the guitar at the mo!!!

and I feel I haven't explained my self proper earlier, but I definately in the WES-TONE camp, made sense to me. 1st one I played was back in like '97 westone thunder I think, I was rubbish then but I remember thinking I didn't like the shape but it sounded great!!! I think now I don't mind the shape.

guys here is a link but if you don't like kinda metal it will probably sound c r a p!! It is a video I had made when I first got the guitar, it is pretty much straight outta the case at this point!! It isn't very co ordinated I'm just messing around so apologies to any great guitarists who see the video and think I'm a plonker lol!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXmDncbJhQg

I will hopefully get some more sounds up for you to check

Oh Oh I got access to youtube in work, and I saw the spring dampening tip!! Totally amazing. My techinique worked but I was always consious that the sponge would get caught in the trem springs when using the trem. Thanks again Barry pirat

Last edited by rabidgerry on Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:15 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : can't spell!!)
rabidgerry
rabidgerry
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next