The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thank you Westone Guitar Forums!

+9
grogg
Westbone
beavis
Iceman
fish
The Chad
Racing
corsair
richardlpalmer
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

guitar - Thank you Westone Guitar Forums! Empty Thank you Westone Guitar Forums!

Post by richardlpalmer Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:48 pm

Hi everyone, FNG Richard here.

While I'm brand spankin' new to this forum, I'm a long-term forumer so will do my best to contribute the best I can.

I've only owned one Westone guitar and it happened to be my first guitar.

The year was 1989, the season Fall. I started worked in a store called Seattle Music, pretty much being the box boy. I unpacked guitars, broke down boxes, shipped them, that sort of thing. A really nice guy who also worked there (who incidentally went on to pretty great things) took some time here and there to explain things and to actually teach me my first lick, first scale & first chord.

Shortly after the new year I'd saved up enough money to buy my first guitar. Luckily for me this Westone hadn't sold quickly enough or maybe the owner/manager simply felt pity for me, but I got a super deal (to me anyway). I didn't have enough money for an amp, strap or even a cord. All I was able to get was the guitar and a little 9v amp that clips on your belt/strap and runs headphones. But it was the best guitar in the world to me.

As fate would have it, I ended up on hard times and sold it to a dear friend -- who played and loved it to this day as far as I know. Sadly I've lost contact with him.

But you know, all this time I've not known what the model of the guitar was! I finally got sick of not knowing and did some serious searching. Thankfully Bing got me to your fine forum and after digging around I was able to figure out EXACTLY what it was! It was the Spectrum II in Black (WE2500BK). That link is awesome! Shows the catalog and description in full (although it doesn't mention the coil tap that operated both humbuckers).

Anyway, the sad part for me is the lack of pictures of this guitar. Anyone have one that they could share? I can't believe that awesome axe hasn't been photographed and posted everywhere. Maybe it's because it was just at the dawn of digital cameras or something, so not many images were ever taken...
richardlpalmer
richardlpalmer
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2011-03-11

Back to top Go down

guitar - Thank you Westone Guitar Forums! Empty Re: Thank you Westone Guitar Forums!

Post by corsair Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:01 am

Welcome here, Richard - gotta say that's not too bad as a back story!! I'm picking that most of the gang in here have similar stories, eh, even though most of them are snobs and only regard the Japanese guitars as worthy!! Laughing (That's probably a little unfair, but I'm feeling a bit playful this morning!!) Laughing Laughing

Anyway, I don't think we've ever seen a Spec II like that in here; I have a Spec II SP1012 which I've just acquired and think is marvelous, but I cannot recall one like that at all!!
corsair

Number of posts : 6329
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

guitar - Thank you Westone Guitar Forums! Empty Re: Thank you Westone Guitar Forums!

Post by richardlpalmer Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:16 pm

Thanks for the welcome!

I'll tell you, I understand snobs. My forum post whoring days were primarily spent on motorcycle forums (sportbikes) and that genre can get pretty snobby about brands (mainly between the sportbike/Harley crowds).

I'm also on probably the "best" PRS enthusiast forum out there and, while the people are incredibly nice, it's amazing what level of perfection they're after with regards their instruments. Maybe it's because the guys are either consummate professionals and "need" that level of quality or they're simply well off financially -- I couldn't say.

One thing that amazed me about the Spectrum II is the fact it's solid alder. At that price point I could have been looking at Squiers & Epiphones and been getting anything BUT a solid piece of wood. So that was a surprise to me -- and might be why the guys guided me toward it in the first place. I remember them telling me, "While you might not be as familiar with the brand, this guitar is really awesome for the money..."

In retrospect it sounds about the same quality as MIM Fender Stratocaster. It was also solid alder.

I had troubles with the trem (it just wasn't that durable) but otherwise was very happy with it.
richardlpalmer
richardlpalmer
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by Racing Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:38 pm

Bah.
Tell ya what.
If i can´t shift at 14 000 it´s just plain boring
Racing
Racing
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 194
Registration date : 2009-02-27

Back to top Go down

Post by The Chad Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:55 pm

Racing wrote:Bah.
Tell ya what.

Ah, I beg to differ Racing! I've got a '69 GTO that you must shift before 4000... and it's anything but boring! What a Face

And Richard, always good to hear from someone who knows good quality, as they can intelligently compare! Some people buy Westies because they're cheap, but they don't have a good quality instrument to compare the Westones with, you know? PRS's are very nice indeed, I may spring for one someday. Welcome aboard Richard! cheers
The Chad
The Chad
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 2772
Registration date : 2011-02-01

Back to top Go down

Post by richardlpalmer Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:32 pm

The Chad wrote:
Racing wrote:Bah.
Tell ya what.

Ah, I beg to differ Racing! I've got a '69 GTO that you must shift before 4000... and it's anything but boring! What a Face

And Richard, always good to hear from someone who knows good quality, as they can intelligently compare! Some people buy Westies because they're cheap, but they don't have a good quality instrument to compare the Westones with, you know? PRS's are very nice indeed, I may spring for one someday. Welcome aboard Richard! cheers
I'm sure your GTO is anything BUT boring. I love muscle cars. Just nothing like them. I'll have to tell you about my V-8 Pinto story sometime. Wink

Clearly cars are a completely different experience than flying around a racetrack with your body straddling your steed. Here's me at Reno-Fernley Raceway.

guitar - Thank you Westone Guitar Forums! 160071264-O

Oh, and here's one of my PRS. I absolutely love the tone of this axe -- thankfully for me there's no rule about being able to play well enough to "justify" owning her. Wink

guitar - Thank you Westone Guitar Forums! 817359638_TZPuF-X3
richardlpalmer
richardlpalmer
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by The Chad Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:39 pm

Oh man, that bike and that PRS! Love that green, and the PRS tone is a gorgeous thing. (note to site admin: ya think we can add a smiley face icon that drools, please?)

A guy I know used to race for Team Ducati, he ended up taking a pretty bad tumble during a race in Florida. The footage makes you cringe, he flip flopped down the track like a ragdoll for a while before smacking the barriers and then just lied there motionless! Looked really bad, but he pulled through it ok. I don't think it was long after that that he retired from racing. Shocked Be careful!

The Chad
The Chad
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by richardlpalmer Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:50 pm

The Chad wrote:Oh man, that bike and that PRS! Love that green, and the PRS tone is a gorgeous thing. (note to site admin: ya think we can add a smiley face icon that drools, please?)

A guy I know used to race for Team Ducati, he ended up taking a pretty bad tumble during a race in Florida. The footage makes you cringe, he flip flopped down the track like a ragdoll for a while before smacking the barriers and then just lied there motionless! Looked really bad, but he pulled through it ok. I don't think it was long after that that he retired from racing. Shocked Be careful!

Here's your emoticon: guitar - Thank you Westone Guitar Forums! Drool

Yeah, I actually crashed pretty badly at Pacific Raceway a few years ago. I did the whole flip-flopping thing as my bike and I crashed into a dirt wall. It was less than good -- it was bad. Lots of things were broken but luckily not my spirit (the drugs they had me on helped).

guitar - Thank you Westone Guitar Forums! 1216253675_N7J7P-L

I was getting around with a walker after 2 months and walking without crutches or a cane within 4. I was able to start doing physical therapy type exercises in about 5-6 months and then was regularly working out for the next few months. I got back on a motorcycle at that very same racetrack a year to the day of my wreck. After a few more weekends I was actually doing my fastest times ever.

Later that summer I was riding on the street down in California (rare -- I typically only rode on the track) and had another crash. Not too serious physically, but it definitely broke my spirit. You can see me sitting in the dirt at the edge of the "cliff" here.

guitar - Thank you Westone Guitar Forums! 1216273659_LYUMC-XL

Yes, I was giving the one-finger salute while I got my wits about me. How do you like those skid marks in the dirt/gravel?

Anyway, this picture shows the corner much better. I was sitting behind where the people are at the back of the truck.

guitar - Thank you Westone Guitar Forums! 1216273064_W9Rc6-XL

And my bike can be seen way down there...

guitar - Thank you Westone Guitar Forums! 1216273959_ks8U3-XL

After that summer I seemed to find more and more reasons to not get back on the road or track. I haven't ridden much since. Sad, because it was my passion for so long. I took up golfing and playing guitar to do something else. I stink at both. Wink
richardlpalmer
richardlpalmer
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by Racing Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:53 pm

Hm.
You know what Richard....FWIW...i wouldn´t dream of trying to tell you how to lead your life...but i´d like to share bit of a story....

I grew up with both mom and dad rallying. In short i grew up with motorsports. As i turned 14 i had moved over here and as i in turn turned 16 i was allowed to go roadracing with 125cc twostrokers. I dunno if you´re familiar with european tracks,but they look and work a little different than the US ones.
Anyways.
I stayed with the 125cc for RR but as i got older...bikes bikes bikes. One after the other,and of course i crashed more time than i care to remember.
Anything from old Ducatis to the then mighty Kawa GPX 1100 was turned to scrap underneath me.
In fact,there´s an old sayin around here that if you haven´t eaten tarmac at least 10 times,and hard...you simply haven´t ridden a bike.

Be that as it may...i lost a number of friends,always in traffic-never on the track,over the yrs and life went by...and as my screen name implies it turned into my livelyhood.
2 wheels or 4 wheels...same crap different day. Hell...i even spent time with the supertruck boys as well as the off-shore boys on occasion on a pro basis.

Then...
An old friend of mine who was Swedish champion of sc "E-cart"(dunno what you call em in the states these days? Anyways...250cc twostroke 6 speed carts) went and killed himself on an R1....

Really freak accident. After a session of REALLY lettin the bike rip he pulled over with the rest of us to get gas..the dude knew how to ride...hard...and was the first one to leave...hit a freak oil spot on the road...crashed...went out into this big ass field...that was basicaly empty...it DID however have ONE major stone...and he hit that head first.
Death was instant. When the ambulance arrived he was already gonner.

This was a number of yrs back,i was in like my early 30s... and somehow it just struck me that i was mortal.
For a while there i completely gave up the 2 wheelers and focused completely on cars. From time to time not without merit either....
Sold the sport bike...and for old times sake kept two of my dinosaur old Suzuki "tripples".(A 380 and a 750) Never road em though...and they still reside with me to this day.

Reaching my 40s...it felt it was time again so i bought myself a then rather fresh FZR600R.(Just before the R6). Well...that kept up for like...3 months,cause i had aged and recognized that if i wanted to live....no more sportbike. At least...that was the idea at the time.
Sure enough...Had been away from the sportbikes for a while....and about a month later i realized i was thinking more of BPs and apex´s than safety. Mid traffic... Laughing . Final decision was made on my behalf an early morning going through a lefty at approx 110-115mph in a 30 zone...Ya know...leasurely pace...kind a..
Simple truth to me is that until a certain age ALL helmets are to small a size which makes all the blood in ya end up in your feet...

So....sold that Yamaha and said to hell with it.

Now.
Another number of yrs have passed...and you know what? I bought myself and old FZR600 ...again...
Just that....this time out i realize that somewhere down the line even the most diehard speedfreaks mature. I guess,cause all of a sudden...it is NOT all about braking points and apexes....or the feeling of putting your inner knee to the ground..
I still know HOW to... What a Face but have grown fond of my own life. Grown more coward if you wish,but the moral of my story is....you will NEVER EVER let it go if it has gotten into your blood. Just don´t fool yourself.
A bike these days to me though is about enjoyment. NOT so much about breathtaking high speeds anymore. In fact,what i treasure today is a winding country road keepin the pace at like between 50 and 100mph....that´s it.

If i wanna go fast...i´ve got 4 wheels to do that. Laughing

Chad btw.
I was just yankin the chain a bit. I know. I´ve got a couple of muscle cars standin around too. Amongst them are my pro-street built -69 camaro RS with a 495cid BBC in it. Sports an old Hilborn intake no less,which has been modded with carbon fibre stacks and is controlled by an EFI that we design and sell worldwide these days under the name VEMS.
Anyways. It clocks the quarter in 8.63@259km/h in full street trim. Currently it´s apart to get boost. Where that´ll end up is anybodys guess.. Laughing
ATM i´m mostly occupied with trying to get my old mercedes to break the 9s in turn.
Racing
Racing

Back to top Go down

Post by richardlpalmer Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:31 am

Racing, we could talk for days!

FWIW, I'm still in love with the sport and machines. I just don't have one at this time. Wink

A bit more back story: The year before my wreck, on our yearly sabbatical to the MotoGP race at Laguna Seca, I watched my friend T-bone a car that decided to stop in the middle of the highway to make a U-turn. I held him while he died. It was a very sobering trip...

I'd already pretty much stopped riding on the street by then -- was just so into road racing I couldn't get into it. But after that I was even more sold on giving up street riding.

The next year, just before everyone was going to Laguna again, I had my big spill and couldn't make it. Everyone was bummed about it but of course went anyway. They all stopped by my friend's grave site and paid their respects. I did not, as I was only a week or so into recovery.

The next year, when I got back on the bike, I hit the track hard. Oh sure, I was a bit apprehensive of Turn 6 (BTW, our local track where I crashed, is probably the closest thing America has to a TT -- the track is absolutely horrible and littered with unsafe areas, but of course nowhere near the condition of "bad" European tracks) but I got on with it. After a bunch of seat time I was feeling great. It was then off to California again, for the MotoGP races.

Now mind you, everyone had already been down the year prior to pay their respects, but me. We get to the grave site and it took a few people a couple minutes to realize it was my first time seeing the place again. They were all very nice in giving me some time. But I paid my respects, thought I chased away my demons and hit the road. Not more than a few miles later I crashed (above).

What changed for me was just not being interested in riding on the street yet again. My wife was of the opinion, "Travel to the best tracks -- at least they're relatively safe..." and I couldn't blame her at all. Heck, it was my preference BEFORE this spill.

Anyway, I hear you. I always end up with a bike (very much like you described). I'll sell what I have for financial reasons (or whatever) and be without for a couple years, then get another. I've been doing that since I was 18 (the legal age in my state to ride a motorcycle). Now when I get the next "itch" I'll just have to figure out what I want. A street sportbike? A sporty BMW? Supermotard? A dedicated track bike to flog? We'll see how it goes.

Part of the "problem" I have is one of my best friends has been president of the local racing organization. My two best friends are instructors for a riding school. My other friend OWNS a track day organization. I'm a supermoderator on a massive regional motorcycle forum. My life is immersed in motorcycles and has been for years. So I'm always "in it" -- but if I get back on one now, I'll HAVE to go fast (it's just in my nature). And I don't think I want to do that right now...
richardlpalmer
richardlpalmer
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by Racing Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:29 am

No offense,but i take it you´re a couple of yrs younger than me? I´m slowly strivin for my 50s.(Turnin 47)
From one perspective my life has been about speed.
As the saying goes,"hotroder by birth,speedfreak by choice". About sums it up.

Like you...got more scars,both physical and otherwise,that i care to recall. Thing is though..when others regard you "taking a step back" from the whole scene,what really goes down is that you recap and realize that you´re "full" for lack of better description. The urge wears off. A little...

I´ll put it this way...
I still cherish riding a bike. From many respects more than ever really. Only thing taken out of the equation is the CONSTANT need for speed. Got the same deal you do as far as the Mrs,and to tell you the truth..as she hasn´t ridden all that much herself...she absolutely love to be behind me on small weekend trips.
As long as there´s judgement involved and the pace is within reason it´s all good,and if anything she knows that all them scars makes me one of those guys on a bike that knows what it´s all about. If nothin else the capacity to know what a bike,even a streetbike,can do.
I do carry my racing license to this day. For both 2 and 4 wheels and i´m asked to serve as an instructor of formula racing to this day on occasion.

Funny thing,on a sidenote,is that this whole thing with music kind of makes for the balance.? You know as well as i do that riding a bike hard,on a track for instance,is something completely different in the drivers seat than when standing on the banks. It,like playing music,is an abstract. Just as with playin music you can´t drive hard if your mind is preoccupied...that is an impossible proposition.
Hell,it´s to the point where i´ve gotten onstage in a bike jacket!! Laughing . Best of two world huh?

guitar - Thank you Westone Guitar Forums! Normal_Bild_741
Grumpy old men doing what dinosaurs do...play rock n roll,drink whisky and raise hell. Very Happy(Who i am in the pic i guess is evident.. Laughing

guitar - Thank you Westone Guitar Forums! Normal_1%7E39
Threw a conrod last summer,so i ripped her heart out and replaced some general crap while at it. There she is though. Not the fastest thing on the planet anymore,seing it´s an old bike these days,but at least with Mic34s and large bore. Dynoed to 103. Street only. Plan to take her apart the next couple of days again mainly to check things for the season.

guitar - Thank you Westone Guitar Forums! Normal_7%7E34
...and what i work on on occasion. A far cry from bikes maybe,but it´s a job... Laughing .It´s an old -01 vintage superoval Reynard btw.
(Did i mention that i hate my job? Laughing Laughing . It´s so bad i on occasion get paid to let ém rip too..and somebody else has to pick up the tab. Dayuummm broh... What a Face )
Racing
Racing

Back to top Go down

Post by richardlpalmer Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:25 pm

Yup, I'm a bit younger -- but working hard to catch up! I'm 41 (42 in June).

Yeah, I think we're on the same page more than not.

I think if I were to ride alone I'd be fine as far as pace goes. I don't particularly have the drive I did years ago to go fast -- and particularly on the street. I think the track "solves" that problem. It's not like I even have to suppress the urge -- it's just not interesting to me to go fast on the street anymore. The risk is waaaay too high and the "reward" is low -- because I can simply do a track day or race weekend and get way more bang for the buck.

But I do still think I'm susceptible to the "ratcheting" effect. Even on our last trip to California I felt it. Some of the guys wanted to go fast and sort of took off. My buddy and I ended up by ourselves. And we were having a great time. I'd stop and take pictures, that sort of thing. We'd keep it sane on the straights and then just not brake for the curves. But little by little I found myself having more and more fun. Next thing you know my head is ringing and my bike is over a cliff. Smile

I've been an advocate for riders for quite a while. A group of us created a yearly Awareness Ride years ago. Built a website, got all sorts of prizes donated & a raffle done to raise money & awareness. That sort of thing. So I'm pretty steeped in it -- and love it (I'll be watching the opening MotoGP round this weekend). That being said, it's not so much about ME but OTHERS that has affected me. On the racetrack I honestly trust those guys with my life. I've very rarely had someone do something so boneheaded that it risked my life (my biggest fall above being one of those rare times). People hold their lines (even if wonky lines), they don't grenade the brakes in odd places and they're all going the same direction. There's no left-hand turners on the track. No gravel tossed on a turn by a crotchety guy who hates bikers. No mom putting on makeup and talking on her phone while drifting into your lane.

I just don't like the street...

Maybe that will change the longer I'm off the track. Not sure. I know I just had my third surgery a my knee a few months ago but am going into the doctor's today regarding one of my messed up feet/ankles as I can barely walk.

I've wanted to do a trip with that buddy I was just talking about. Going up to the arctic, via Alaska, with some dual-sports and a toolkit. Something like that sounds satisfying to me. I'd also like to do some Baja riding but don't know if I can physically take it. But even long road trips sound alluring to me. I've never enjoyed "slabbing it" on a sport bike -- just too uncomfortable. But if I got a standard or an FZ/BMW with some heli-bars, it might be worth going for.

Oh, and I can't see your pictures... Sad
richardlpalmer
richardlpalmer
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by fish Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:41 pm

Now if you young fellers were to put you stink wheels away, you may live to see your 70's.

It would also leave you time to build a nice comfy arm chair like I did, mind, Racing may be
alright but you may have a bit of trouble getting in & out with that knee when your 70 Richard. Very Happy
Have to say I do & have never buggered up my knee Laughing

guitar - Thank you Westone Guitar Forums! Dsc01910

guitar - Thank you Westone Guitar Forums! Dsc01911

Though you've probably noticed Racing, the Sun's just starting to shine over here sunny I guess you'll be shoveling that
bike back together as quick as you can Twisted Evil
fish
fish

Number of posts : 277
Registration date : 2010-12-16

http://www.fisherrestoration.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Iceman Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:48 pm

Fish.......THAT is cold, man.......STONE COLD What a Face What a Face
Iceman
Iceman

Number of posts : 2894
Registration date : 2011-02-22

http://www.glowingtubes.com/p/Kahler_Instructions.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by beavis Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:19 am

Wow, didn't know there were bikers on the forum. Not that I'll consider you something to live up to, given the unfortunate events you have had to live through.

I have only done go-cart races on track and otherwise really enjoy riding around the countryside on my 93 gs500. So nothing mean. Would love to ride down the californian coast one day though....

Even for the very casual rider I am (atm I work from 8am to 9h30 pm six days a week so don't have much ride-time), there is something truly addictive to bike riding. I used to open the curtains to a sunny day and think, ahhh beer and skid row. Now I tend to add bike to the equation(saving beer for the last).

Anyway, I am rambling on.

Welcome to the forum Richard and you guys all stay safe!
beavis
beavis

Number of posts : 385
Registration date : 2011-01-19

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:46 am

I raced an old Royal Enfield Bullet an eon ago... haven't had my leg over since my brother-in-law was killed on a bike...
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by richardlpalmer Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:50 am

Thanks for the welcome(s)!

Fish, that is an AMAZING piece of machinery! WOW! guitar - Thank you Westone Guitar Forums! Drool

Thought you all might enjoy this video. It's from a time when men were men, machines were made of steel and seat belts? We don' need no stinkeen seat belts!

http://vimeo.com/20247765
richardlpalmer
richardlpalmer
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:50 pm

What a vid. makes you shiver.
Mike, you Alvis is a thing of beauty.
Had a few prangs myself over the years. Arm, leg, head and a ton of roadrash.
Seeing as everyones putting up pics. I'll join the party.
Here's me old '51 Sunbeam S7 deluxe. Just pulled it from a dark corner, first time in about 3 years. Amazing what a drop of Sun can do. Hope we have a good summer, it's been crap for the last few in the UK.
guitar - Thank you Westone Guitar Forums! P3231624

Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 5918
Registration date : 2008-12-28

http://www.chruler.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by grogg Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:52 pm

Waaaaah, great bikes, what a car and a very impressive skid mark.
High sided mine (SV) 2 years ago, shoulder and thumb not the same since.
On the verge of getting a VFR to ride to and around the Swiss Alps in June. bounce
grogg
grogg
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 1094
Registration date : 2008-11-28

Back to top Go down

Post by fish Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:33 pm

richardlpalmer wrote:Thanks for the welcome(s)!

Fish, that is an AMAZING piece of machinery! WOW! need no stinkeen seat belts!

Its been known to put a smile on my face Richard. Very Happy

Have to assume there were a few fatalities in your vid, chances are a lot more would have been killed
if they had been strapped in. What a Face

Believe it or not we're still at it today, with better rubber & modern tech, some of the cars in your video are being push harder & are even quicker today Twisted Evil

VSCC, Vintage Sports Car Club, vid.......
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LATwSlHdiPY&feature=related
fish
fish

Back to top Go down

Post by fish Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:44 pm

Westbone wrote:What a vid. makes you shiver.

Mike, you Alvis is a thing of beauty.

Here's me old '51 Sunbeam S7 deluxe............

Thanks Westbone, Like the bike, my Dad probably made the siamese exhaust for your twin way back then sunny

Been butiful today, you never now your luck sunny & a bit more global warming sunny Guitars may have to take a
back seat.sunny
fish
fish

Back to top Go down

Post by richardlpalmer Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:55 pm

fish wrote:
richardlpalmer wrote:Thanks for the welcome(s)!

Fish, that is an AMAZING piece of machinery! WOW! need no stinkeen seat belts!

Its been known to put a smile on my face Richard. Very Happy

Have to assume there were a few fatalities in your vid, chances are a lot more would have been killed
if they had been strapped in. What a Face

Believe it or not we're still at it today, with better rubber & modern tech, some of the cars in your video are being push harder & are even quicker today Twisted Evil

VSCC, Vintage Sports Car Club, vid.......
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LATwSlHdiPY&feature=related
Wow, only a broken collar bone? Amazing.

And I see the camaraderie is just like in other types of racing. Fantastic.

Yup, for me playing guitar is a bit less dangerous. Wink

By the by, are the bulk of you fellows in the UK/Europe?
richardlpalmer
richardlpalmer
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by The Chad Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:49 am

Hop on the Memberlist and check out the locations, it's pretty cool to see the variety. We are a scattered bunch, that's for sure. Very Happy

I enjoy our UK members especially, mainly because my Wife was born and bred in England and I've come to really appreciate the culture. We live in Pennsylvania so we don't get a lot of folks that speak "the Queen's English" around, so the UK phrasing, slang, and sense of humor on here is good to read (coming from people other than my Wife).
The Chad
The Chad
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by richardlpalmer Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:58 am

The Chad wrote:Hop on the Memberlist and check out the locations, it's pretty cool to see the variety. We are a scattered bunch, that's for sure. Very Happy

I enjoy our UK members especially, mainly because my Wife was born and bred in England and I've come to really appreciate the culture. We live in Pennsylvania so we don't get a lot of folks that speak "the Queen's English" around, so the UK phrasing, slang, and sense of humor on here is good to read (coming from people other than my Wife).
Roger that!
richardlpalmer
richardlpalmer
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by fish Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:15 pm

The Chad wrote:Hop on the Memberlist and check out the locations, it's pretty cool to see the variety. We are a scattered bunch, that's for sure. Very Happy

Wo row ma mon, ah bist,

nar gawkl er aer kid, yow yanks mus think war alf baerked er, bet yar misis don't cum frum the Black Cuntry ar even Brum, ar erd not speek as good as us.

Black Country joke......
Aynuk and Ayli are standing in Aynuks back garden, Aynuks next door neighbour is running up and down his back garden pretending he's riding a motorbike, Ayli says, whats up wi im?, Aynuk says, tek no notice he's saft in the yed he thinks he's in the Isle o mon in the TT rerces. Ayli says, but he ay got a bike yo orter tell him, bugger off says Aynuk he pays me a fiver a wik to clean it. Laughing
fish
fish

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:35 pm

The Chad wrote:...We live in Pennsylvania so we don't get a lot of folks that speak "the Queen's English" around, so the UK phrasing, slang, and sense of humor on here is good to read (coming from people other than my Wife).
They don't talk proper like wot we do over 'ere in the Colonies! guitar - Thank you Westone Guitar Forums! Smilie_canadianFlag

MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: https://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)
Barry
Barry

Number of posts : 8724
Registration date : 2009-05-01

https://legend.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:42 pm

(Affect Aussie accent..)Strewth, mate - fair suck of the sav.... actually that's more Aussie than NZ.. but you get the picture, eh; she's a great language, is English as she is spoke around the world!! Laughing
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by bowenjaybee Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:45 pm

The Chad wrote:we don't get a lot of folks that speak "the Queen's English" around,

I'm from Bradford UK and believe me we don't get many people who speak "the Queen's English" here.
bowenjaybee

Number of posts : 560
Registration date : 2010-02-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:09 pm

Anyone north of Watford Gap is a foreigner lol!

As they say on Eastenders(load of bollx) "We gotta talk" and then pick up a mobile phone cheers

I feel like a foreigner down here, might as well live in f 'king India scratch
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by richardlpalmer Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:00 pm

Well, while I didn't understand quite a bit of the above posts that's not going to stop us from visiting the UK soon (most likely this summer). We've never been abroad and figured we should go there first. Besides, I like the brown alcohols and can't think of a better place to "sample" them!
richardlpalmer
richardlpalmer
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by The Chad Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:34 pm

lol! Oh man, you all just made me laugh out loud reading all this! My Wife says that she's sick of everyone over here saying that she has an accent because she speaks "the propah Queen's English" and that they speak a foreign dialect. Laughing

We found a great tea shop in Lancaster PA (home of the Amish) that's owned and operated by authentic Brits that make as close to English food as possible. Ploughman's lunch with Branstons pickle, cornish pasties, pork pies, bangers and mash, cream cakes, PG Tips, Typhoo, etc. Makes her feel a little closer to her homeland when we're there. Very Happy

Now finding a good fish n' chips shop in this area is nigh impossible! Mad Crying or Very sad

For any other yanks reading this, you must check out the British comedies.
The Chad
The Chad
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:10 pm

OK, then - how about a straw poll....
Nationality at birth and current country of residence...

Me; I'm a New Zealander living in the Channel Islands - by way of Australia and Singapore... for 1 more year!!
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by fish Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:20 pm

richardlpalmer wrote:Well, while I didn't understand quite a bit of the above posts that's not going to stop us from visiting the UK soon (most likely this summer). We've never been abroad and figured we should go there first. Besides, I like the brown alcohols and can't think of a better place to "sample" them!

Translation: I bet your wife doesn't come from The Black Country, or even Birmingham, or she would speak as good as me.

Now your talking Richard, Brown alcohol's :?: Beer, this deserves a thread of its own but here go's.

The best Ale as far as I'm concerned is ''Bathems'' brewed behind the Vine Inn at The Blessing of your Hart. or Banks Ales.
http://www.bathams.co.uk/history.php Very Happy http://www.bankssbeer.co.uk/verify-age.aspx

I'm sure your wife will be able to explain all about The Black Country to you but briefly, it received its name because, before the Industrial Revolution Coal literally stuck out of the ground in outcrops, so, along with the Iron Bridge area it lived up to its name becoming the cradle of industry, then really became Black What a Face

I'm sure you & your wife will enjoy your visit to England, there are a lot of, so called themed Pubs selling average Beer so do your home work...drunken http://www.camra.org.uk/ cheers

Corsair said, OK, then - how about a straw poll....
Nationality at birth and current country of residence...& ale preference ???

I'm AN ENLISH man living in ENGALAND, & Bathems is top's. drunken

Last edited by fish on Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:58 pm; edited 5 times in total
fish
fish

Back to top Go down

Post by bowenjaybee Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:37 pm

Born in Bradford, England , Raised In Bradford, and unfortunately I still live in Bradford...I have Welsh parents who moved to Bradford to find work in the late 60's.. so really I should be a Welsh-man.

Last edited by bowenjaybee on Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:50 am; edited 1 time in total
bowenjaybee

Number of posts : 560
Registration date : 2010-02-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Iceman Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:28 pm

Born in Iowa but got out when I was 3. Been bumming about Minnesota since. (yah sure, you betcha) Speaking strickly about Englishman beer my favourites come from Tadcaster brewed at Samuel Smith's. If one is looking for a taste of the UK up here you usually end up at.....

http://www.britspub.com/ for Premiership matches

http://www.the-local.com/ for whisky sessions (that's right, whisky......not whiskey)

and sadly there no longer is a link to the best cask conditioned ale in the Midwest, Sherlock's Home

If you people start a beer thread then THE GOOD LORD help us.... I'll never log out. drunken
Iceman
Iceman

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:04 pm

corsair wrote:OK, then - how about a straw poll....
Nationality at birth and current country of residence...
  • English
  • Canada

MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: https://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)
Barry
Barry

Number of posts : 8724
Registration date : 2009-05-01

https://legend.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve777 Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:42 am

" Bostin" !!!

I worked in Brum and Wolverhampton during my formative youth and had a supervisor who came from Upper Gornall (Fish will know where that is). I hadn't a clue what she was saying most of the time. Oh, she made tea with sterilised milk, the most disgusting taste known to man.

However, I do remember traveling out with pals in our GT6's to the Dry Dock Inn in Netherton to sample their Desparate Dan cow pies ! The bar was made out of the front section of a barge. Brilliant, and the beer was Ruddles.

Now then, I hail from Coventry and although Brum is only 20 miles away, it might as well be a different country. "Ner the twain shall mix".
Steve777
Steve777

Number of posts : 356
Registration date : 2008-10-14

Back to top Go down

Post by fish Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:03 am

Steve777 wrote:" Bostin" !!!

I worked in Brum and Wolverhampton during my formative youth and had a supervisor who came from Upper Gornall (Fish will know where that is)

I even know where Lower Gornal is Steve, if she had come from there, (just down the road) you certainly would not have understood a word she said, might have used Pasteurised in the tea though. Did you ever go to the Crooked house, its a Banks's house? Rudle's is good drunken

Hey, you'd have known the Alvis Works on Hollyhead Road Coventry, before they turned it into a Shopping Mall What a Face

Anyway back Corsair's pole.... Anglow Saxon probably with a bit of Anglo-Danes, Norse, Cymru, Viking and even Norman, etc. living in Worcestershire. Very Happy
fish
fish

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:30 am

Steve777 wrote:I worked in Brum and Wolverhampton.....

For those befuddled by the reference to Brum, this would be Birmingham; the UK's 2nd largest city and home to the largest Asian population outside Asia.... Very Happy

Fish wrote: Anglo-Saxon probably with a bit of Anglo-Danes, Norse, Cymru, Viking and even Norman, etc. living in Worcestershire.

OK... but where were you born?? Laughing
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by fish Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:02 am

corsair wrote:
Steve777 wrote:I worked in Brum and Wolverhampton.....

For those befuddled by the reference to Brum, this would be Birmingham; the UK's 2nd largest city and home to the largest Asian population outside Asia.... Very Happy

OK... but where were you born?? Laughing

Oh sorry, sunny Worcester Very Happy not far from Gods own acre in the beautiful Theme Vally, the Shelsely Walsh hill climb, the oldest motoring speed venue in continuous use the world Twisted Evil http://www.shelsley-walsh.co.uk/about/content.asp?s=54&p=124

Correction, London has the largest Asian community, as Westbone said its like living in f...ing India, yes Birmingham has the second & Bradford the third & so on & on, sorry Corsair pale

Last edited by fish on Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:40 am; edited 1 time in total
fish
fish

Back to top Go down

Post by Iceman Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:20 pm

fish wrote:

..... the EU is systematically ruining this country, Vote UKIP affraid

Wot??? I was under the impression that all you lads and lasses over in the "old world" were getting along smashingly. I had no idea..... Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

(saith with tongue firmly planted in cheek)
Iceman
Iceman

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:23 pm

Careful with the politics, lads... I know this is the Non-Westone forum but it is still primarily a guitar discussion... albeit with diversions into motorsport and - at the minute - beer!! Laughing

I've just found that discussing politics on forums like these leads to acrimony and ill feeling, eh.... Smile
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:05 pm

Two things not to mention while in a strange pub drinking beer, politics and religion.

France ,Lancashire, South Africa, London. Back and forth ever since.

Been a foreigner all my life. In SA I was an alien 👽 of the UK colonies. Left there when I was conscripted but still not allowed to vote. Oh the good old days. affraid

Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Iceman Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:06 pm

I stand here now properly chagrined with both wrists firmly slapped. After re-reading my post it really was poorly executed. No offense was meant and I do apologize sincerely if any is taken. Embarassed
Iceman
Iceman

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:27 pm

Westbone wrote:France ,Lancashire, South Africa, London. Back and forth ever since.

So; you're a Frenchman by birth? Or a Lancastrian?

Iceman wrote:I stand here now properly chagrined with both wrists firmly slapped. After re-reading my post it really was poorly executed. No offense was meant and I do apologize sincerely if any is taken.

No offense taken by anyone I'm sure!! We all need to vent at times, but we also have a burden of care to keep this place as friendly as possible, far from the ordinary cares of the world!! Cool Smile
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by richardlpalmer Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:23 pm

• Born in Nebraska, USA
  • Live in Washington, USA

fish wrote:
richardlpalmer wrote:Well, while I didn't understand quite a bit of the above posts that's not going to stop us from visiting the UK soon (most likely this summer). We've never been abroad and figured we should go there first. Besides, I like the brown alcohols and can't think of a better place to "sample" them!

Translation: I bet your wife doesn't come from The Black Country, or even Birmingham, or she would speak as good as me.

Now your talking Richard, Brown alcohol's :?: Beer, this deserves a thread of its own but here go's.

The best Ale as far as I'm concerned is ''Bathems'' brewed behind the Vine Inn at The Blessing of your Hart. or Banks Ales.
http://www.bathams.co.uk/history.php Very Happy http://www.bankssbeer.co.uk/verify-age.aspx

I'm sure your wife will be able to explain all about The Black Country to you but briefly, it received its name because, before the Industrial Revolution Coal literally stuck out of the ground in outcrops, so, along with the Iron Bridge area it lived up to its name becoming the cradle of industry, then really became Black What a Face

I'm sure you & your wife will enjoy your visit to England, there are a lot of, so called themed Pubs selling average Beer so do your home work...drunken http://www.camra.org.uk/ cheers

Corsair said, OK, then - how about a straw poll....
Nationality at birth and current country of residence...& ale preference ???

I'm AN ENLISH man living in ENGALAND, & Bathems is top's. drunken
My wife is a complete, 100% born and raised, American -- so will have no idea about the "Black Country". But thanks for the explanations!

As for alcohols, thanks for the suggestion of beers. I'm not a huge ale fan (although as with anything, I think if you find an excellent specimen, it'll be delicious). I'm a fan of Pilsners & Heffewizens.

Otherwise I'm looking forward to sampling whiskey/whisky & scotches. My favorite "daily drinking" whiskeys are Jaimeson & Bushmills. And in the world of scotch I enjoy pretty much any Speyside & have ventured into these at the moment. My understanding is there are quite a lot of scotches that just don't reach my local liquor store, so I'm very excited to try as many as I can!

guitar - Thank you Westone Guitar Forums! 1138328407_c9PBj-L
richardlpalmer
richardlpalmer
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by Iceman Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:46 pm

Oh mommy I'm home!!!! If you have not had the pleasure yet Richard do your palate a huge favor and have a go at the 18 year old Highland Park.

I love Jameson as well but my man John Powers and his son keep getting in the way. Wink
Iceman
Iceman

Back to top Go down

Post by richardlpalmer Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:20 pm

Iceman wrote:Oh mommy I'm home!!!! If you have not had the pleasure yet Richard do your palate a huge favor and have a go at the 18 year old Highland Park.

I love Jameson as well but my man John Powers and his son keep getting in the way. Wink
Well so far I've only had the 10 year Talisker (which is really good -- just about my limit of smokey/peaty though). I'll be trying the 12 year Highland Park next though.

I'm not sure how the age of scotch affects the complexity/flavor. I'm currently reading a book on the subject but am just at the beginning. But if it's like other alcohols I might not like the "better" years if it makes it overpowering to my weak palate...
richardlpalmer
richardlpalmer
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by Iceman Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:27 pm

richardlpalmer wrote:
Iceman wrote:Oh mommy I'm home!!!! If you have not had the pleasure yet Richard do your palate a huge favor and have a go at the 18 year old Highland Park.

Well so far I've only had the 10 year Talisker (which is really good -- just about my limit of smokey/peaty though). I'll be trying the 12 year Highland Park next though.

I'm not sure how the age of scotch affects the complexity/flavor. I'm currently reading a book on the subject but am just at the beginning. But if it's like other alcohols I might not like the "better" years if it makes it overpowering to my weak palate...

As we are all aware if you do not use it you chance losing it Wink . That being said there is nothing like practice, practice and yes, more practice to strengthen that"weak" palate.

Talisker holds a special place in my palate ( my initial foray into the world of Scotch), but it is really a breed unto itself rather than an expression of a style.

Your mission Jim, should you choose to accept it, is to put the following "to the test".........

Cardhu
BenRaich
Tamdhu
Ardmore

Shoot for 12 years old all and compare side by side if possible
Iceman
Iceman

Back to top Go down

Post by fish Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:38 pm

Sorry Richard, I was sure I read you said your wife came from over here, must have dreamt it, just put it down to age, along with
brown alcohol Embarassed

I'm not a Scotch drinker, even single malt's, getting back to wife's, my pals wife likes that dreadful smokey/peaty stuff & gave me a good measure to try, I tired to drink it but slipped it into her glass while they were out on the room, think she went to bed happy, if not it would have been acid indigestion. Very Happy

Guess you'll have to put me down as a philistine on Ice, Ice Cool

Last edited by fish on Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
fish
fish

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next