The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How long do you have to wait for repairs/installations?

3 posters

Go down

How long do you have to wait for repairs/installations? Empty How long do you have to wait for repairs/installations?

Post by stpetecubby Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:42 pm

How long does it usually take for you to get your guitars back when you're having work done on them? I never do any kind of work or repairs on my guitars, mostly because I'm not "handy". I had a sound hole pickup installed in an acoustic, and it took 3 weeks. It had to have the jack installed. I took my Westone in a couple weeks ago to a different place, to have a new middle pickup installed, and I still haven't gotten an estimated time when it will be ready.

I'm really not being impatient here, but do these wait times seem about par from your experience? I might give a second thought next time if I know that I have to give up one of my guitars for 3 weeks. Thanks.
stpetecubby
Registered Member

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2011-01-28

https://www.facebook.com/stpetecubby

Back to top Go down

How long do you have to wait for repairs/installations? Empty re:HOW LONG DO YOU HAVE TO WAIT FOR REPAIRS/INSTALLATIONS?

Post by IanO Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:50 pm

Hi stpetecubby,
Neither of these jobs should take an experienced repairer too long, even if the acoustic pick-up needs a preamp control panel fitting in the top bout. This would of course depend on the workload of the company. It took me less than an hour to fit a shadow sound hole p/up (I'm not a pro repairer, but tool handy). I've fitted p/ups in both my Ibanez rg570 and strat, which was longer as the strings etc had to come off. I find it hard to believe that the company were unable to give you a realistic lead time.

Mebbe time for you to have a rant - get a discount?? Worth a try!

Hope this helps
IanO
IanO

Number of posts : 259
Registration date : 2011-02-04

Back to top Go down

How long do you have to wait for repairs/installations? Empty Re: How long do you have to wait for repairs/installations?

Post by umpdv5000 Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:03 pm

As IanO says, it depends on the work load of the person you have taken your guitar to and the complexity of the job you require. I do repairs / luthiery professionally and I will always prioritise repairs over work that I do for my personal sales. I try to turn most jobs around in a day or two, but if a guitar requires re-finishing then this does take longer as paint has to have curing time. You should ask for an estimated time of completion when you contract a luthier to do the work you require and if you are not happy with the price and time scale given or they can't give you one, go somewhere else.
umpdv5000
umpdv5000

Number of posts : 240
Registration date : 2010-02-11

Back to top Go down

How long do you have to wait for repairs/installations? Empty Re: How long do you have to wait for repairs/installations?

Post by stpetecubby Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:08 pm

I talked to a guy in my office today, and he seemed a bit surprised that it was taking so long, but it is what it is. When I originally brought it into the shop, they told me 5 days, which I though we pretty good.

It's ok, really. I'm not bent out of shape about it yet. Very Happy
stpetecubby
Registered Member

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2011-01-28

https://www.facebook.com/stpetecubby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down