The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rust removal and repainting pickup poles and screws, restringing.

3 posters

Go down

Rust removal and repainting pickup poles and screws, restringing. Empty Rust removal and repainting pickup poles and screws, restringing.

Post by The Chad Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:59 am

I have just purchased an '84 Dynasty. Been sitting in the case for over 25 years. Everything works on it far as I can tell.

The pickup poles, screws, and springs have rusted causing the black paint to pop off. The frets are rusted. It needs restrung. Otherwise it's almost perfect.

Rust removal and repainting pickup poles and screws, restringing. 100_1713

Questions...
How can I clean the rust off of the pickup poles (they look kind of white right now because of it)? I don't want to screw up the plasic or the magnetism.
What's the best way to get all the rust off of the screws (especially inside the slots on the tops)?
Any tips for how to clean and repaint the rusted springs?
Should I use a small buffing wheel on a dremel tool to remove the rust from the frets?
Is it safe to completely remove the strings after the guitar had been sitting untouched for over 25 years with the stings still on it? Or do you thing that I should I leave half of the strings on and clean one side at a time to maintain tension on the neck?
What paint do I use to repaint the pickup poles once I get them cleaned off (anything special required so that I don't lose sensitivity)?

Please let me know what you think guys, thanks!

Last edited by The Chad on Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:33 am; edited 1 time in total
The Chad
The Chad
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 2772
Registration date : 2011-02-01

Back to top Go down

Rust removal and repainting pickup poles and screws, restringing. Empty Re: Rust removal and repainting pickup poles and screws, restringing.

Post by corsair Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:18 am

Good catch, mate!! Very Happy

OK, screws and springs; don't fanny about with them - go and get new ones. They are pretty standard, cheap as chips items and most decent music shops will stock 'em, or failing that, Stewmac, or your personal interweb retailer of choice.

Fret wire; a gentle scrubbing with fine wire wool should be the ticket there, remembering to get a dull craft knife or similar in a rag to thoroughly clean where the fretwire joins the fretboard. Then get as much Lizardspit, or your fretboard juice of choice, in there as it can stand!!

Take all of the strings off but unwind them rather than cutting them off!!

I'd keep the dremel well away at this point; there's not much there than a little elbow grease won't put right; if you take to the poles with it you're liable to scratch the plastic and then you'll have to polish the scratches out...

Does that Dynasty have stringlocks behind the nut?? Because that bridge doesn't look to be the Bendmaster FT that most have, rather it looks to be the standard Bendmaster; either way, I would strip it, clean it and put it back together with a little Nutsauce on the bearing surfaces. Does it have the wang bar?

I'm sure the rest of the lads will be here shortly to discuss their preferred methods of guitar rejuvenation...

Now, I'm gonna be rude... How much??!! Smile
corsair

Number of posts : 6321
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Rust removal and repainting pickup poles and screws, restringing. Empty Re: Rust removal and repainting pickup poles and screws, restringing.

Post by The Chad Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:38 am

corsair wrote:Now, I'm gonna be rude... How much??!! Smile

It was $275, and the wang bar is original. Not cheap, but not bad for its condition I thought. Smile Hard to find these that are almost NOS.
The Chad
The Chad
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:51 pm

I reckon you did OK there; I really do!! Smile
corsair

Number of posts : 6321
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Rust removal and repainting pickup poles and screws, restringing. Empty Way to go

Post by rebuild Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:36 am

Hi, The Chad...I have nothing to add as far as the rust removal, etc. I just want to say " nice going" on your Dynasty purchase. Looks like a beautiful Closet Classic that you have stumbled upon. I feel you got it at a really good price too. I purchased a black Dynasty last summer and I love it...plays like a dream. Way to go, friend.
rebuild
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2011-01-26

Back to top Go down

Post by The Chad Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:37 am

rebuild wrote:Hi, The Chad...I have nothing to add as far as the rust removal, etc. I just want to say " nice going" on your Dynasty purchase. Looks like a beautiful Closet Classic that you have stumbled upon. I feel you got it at a really good price too. I purchased a black Dynasty last summer and I love it...plays like a dream. Way to go, friend.

Thanks Rebuild! The more I play it, the more it impresses me. Not a lot of us have Dynasty's, good to know that you're a proud owner too.
The Chad
The Chad
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down