The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bendmaster Bridge Safety/Whammy Bar

3 posters

Go down

Bendmaster Bridge Safety/Whammy Bar Empty Bendmaster Bridge Safety/Whammy Bar

Post by alostforgottensadspirit Sun Nov 19, 2023 12:19 am

I tried doing research on my bridge, I have a Bendmaster Deluxe bridge on my Westone Genesis I, and of the limited posts one user on reddit said that they are notorious for breaking.

I was impressed with how clean the whammy bar worked and how much it could dive/pull upwards and I was wondering if I'm at risk of breaking the bridge or something else on my vintage guitar if I keep using it.

Are bendmasters actually notorious for breaking or is this a troll?

Increase the dreadful phobia!
alostforgottensadspirit
alostforgottensadspirit
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2023-09-19

Back to top Go down

Bendmaster Bridge Safety/Whammy Bar Empty Re: Bendmaster Bridge Safety/Whammy Bar

Post by Barry Sun Nov 19, 2023 1:10 pm

To my knowledge Bendmaster bridges are no more susceptible to "breaking" (whatever that  means) than any other.

I have a quite few Westones most with with Bendmasters, and some were "rescue" guitars in pretty bad shape when I got them, but I've not experienced any difficulty with any of the tremolo bridges.

Assuming they are set up correctly, and tensioned correctly, and maintained correctly, they should not present problems.

However, no equipment will stand up to abuse. So if you regularly go "medieval" on it then all bets are off. Tremolos are a piece of effects hardware, not a slingshot eh?

MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: https://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)
Barry
Barry
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 8700
Registration date : 2009-05-01

https://legend.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

Bendmaster Bridge Safety/Whammy Bar Empty Re: Bendmaster Bridge Safety/Whammy Bar

Post by corsair Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:47 am

Bendmaster bridges are OK, but no more than that - they were designed to get around FR patents so are something of a compromise.

If you're gonna swing off that bar like a mad thing, then yeah; something's gonna give and then that's a world of pain because spares for these are pretty much non-existent, which leaves you buying a lovely new Gotoh 101, which are, it has to be said, fabulous... but pricey!

Your choice...
corsair

Number of posts : 6321
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by alostforgottensadspirit Thu Dec 14, 2023 5:33 pm

I intended to go medieval on the old bendmaster deluxe indeed. Laughing 

I guess it isn't wise considering Matsumoku production stopped in the 80s.
Thanks for the information, I guess I won't able to abuse my guitar.  Pacing & Thinking

Increase the dreadful phobia!
alostforgottensadspirit
alostforgottensadspirit
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2023-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Thu Dec 14, 2023 7:11 pm

If you’re going to gig the guitar, spend some money and retrofit a modern Gotoh bridge - there is a drop in replacement - and keep the Bendmaster in the case… simples!!
corsair

Number of posts : 6321
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Barry likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down