The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fishman actives / EMGs in a dimension iv?

2 posters

Go down

Fishman actives / EMGs in a dimension iv? Empty Fishman actives / EMGs in a dimension iv?

Post by Bnej Sun Aug 20, 2023 10:27 am

I am referring to the guitar, not the bass here. Does anyone here have any experience with a dimension IV guitar with active pickup systems such as EMGs or fishman fluence moderns? 

I imagine due to how recent the fishmans are there isn’t anyone here who’s got them in a dimension iv or almost any westone for that matter so this is a crapshoot but there’s gotta be someone who has put EMGs in their dimension iv.

For context I have the red one, which I believe is all maple. I’d imagine that EMGs would make the overall pretty bright and mid output sound of the dimension iv crunchier as it’s currently not the hardest sounding guitar I’ve played by any means to say the very least.
Bnej
Bnej
Registered Member

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2022-08-14

Back to top Go down

Fishman actives / EMGs in a dimension iv? Empty Re: Fishman actives / EMGs in a dimension iv?

Post by Barry Sun Aug 20, 2023 12:42 pm

I don't know of anyone having done this, but let me say that I am not a fan of active pickups.

They are the kind of thing you could attach to a 2x4 piece of lumber and the output would be the same. tongue

Like most guitars the Dim IV was designed to work with magnetic pups. It is also an unique design and IMHO active pups bypass the sonic considerations of the guitar in favour of an artificial output.

Quick story:
When I worked at the guitar shop a (young) customer wanted me to replace the humbuckers in his Les Paul with EMGs. I discussed the ramifications of doing it but he wanted to make it into a metal head shredder!

After some considerable surgery I made the transplant. Less than a month later he was back requesting I take the EMGs out! He lost the very thing that made the LP the guitar that it is.

An expensive lesson. Twisted Evil

That said,YMMV and it's your guitar, so whatever floats your boat, eh?

MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: https://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)
Barry
Barry
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 8702
Registration date : 2009-05-01

https://legend.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

Fishman actives / EMGs in a dimension iv? Empty Re: Fishman actives / EMGs in a dimension iv?

Post by Bnej Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:03 am

Barry wrote:I don't know of anyone having done this, but let me say that I am not a fan of active pickups.

They are the kind of thing you could attach to a 2x4 piece of lumber and the output would be the same. tongue

Like most guitars the Dim IV was designed to work with magnetic pups. It is also an unique design and IMHO active pups bypass the sonic considerations of the guitar in favour of an artificial output.

Quick story:
When I worked at the guitar shop a (young) customer wanted me to replace the humbuckers in his Les Paul with EMGs. I discussed the ramifications of doing it but he wanted to make it into a metal head shredder!

After some considerable surgery I made the transplant. Less than a month later he was back requesting I take the EMGs out! He lost the very thing that made the LP the guitar that it is.

An expensive lesson. Twisted Evil

That said,YMMV and it's your guitar, so whatever floats your boat, eh?

The sonic considerations of my Dimension IV is specifically the thing I would want to change about it. Whilst it sounds alright as is, Whenever I’ve plugged it into my scuffed studio setup to do a recording with, I normally end up just switching to one of my jacksons to finish the recording. (Usually my RRXT as I keep both the Westone and the RR in Eb.) The Jackson has a Duncan designed HB102 set (Korean JB / Jazz combo copy). I’m in no real hurry to modify the pickups yet though, as I have several Jackson’s that justify me keeping it as a funny guitar to show off and have a fun time playing.

The thing is with pickup transplants in general, especially for guitars like Gibsons that are built around an entirely different pickup system is that the pickup sound is dependant on the guitar. 

Was the Les Paul installation during the Era of the EMG solderless quick connect system or were the pots changed, or was it just a drop in EMG and battery box replacement? Dropping in active pickups or any sort of high output pickups in a Les Paul with Gibsons electronics often spells recipe for disaster as the EMGs will be throttled to hell by the knobs and switch in most cases.

I would be buying an EMG set, including replacement knobs and solderless connectors, alongside a new middle pickup, So I would not be using the westone electronics at all. I’d essentially be transforming it into a new instrument. Obviously before I undertake such an endeavour I want to know if anyone has any sound samples or insight into this before I turn my westone into a 2000s £600 BC Rich.

I probably won’t change the Westone from how it is though except a bridge change in the distant future when the bendmaster craps out on me entirely as they’re known to do.

Great insight though, thanks for the reply man!
Bnej
Bnej
Registered Member

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2022-08-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:54 am

Go brave my son! Very Happy

MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: https://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)
Barry
Barry
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 8702
Registration date : 2009-05-01

https://legend.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down