The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Do you consider the Electra/Westones Legit Westones?

3 posters

Go down

Do you consider the Electra/Westones Legit Westones? Empty Do you consider the Electra/Westones Legit Westones?

Post by Westone Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:38 am

One of the Electra/Westone Flying V's in green sits in my local pawn shop for $399. It says "Electra" in big letters & below that "Westone" in small letters.

Do you consider it a Westone or Electra and is it worth $399 in slightly chipped up condition?

Here below is how the Pawn shop advertises it but I don't believe it's meant to be an "Electra" model by Westone but a joint venture by the two brands:

"ELECTRA BY WESTONE XV3GR"

Last edited by Westone on Sat Sep 04, 2021 5:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Westone
Westone

Number of posts : 131
Registration date : 2021-08-31

https://i.postimg.cc/t4CVMJgG/IMG-5442.jpg

Back to top Go down

Do you consider the Electra/Westones Legit Westones? Empty Re: Do you consider the Electra/Westones Legit Westones?

Post by Westone Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:37 pm

Here's the picture.  I don't know why it doesn't have the straight down pieces on both ends of the bottom of the "V" that gives it the famous klingon look.

Do you suppose this 1984 version was a different shape than the later klingon version?

Do you consider the Electra/Westones Legit Westones? Screen12

Last edited by Westone on Sat Sep 04, 2021 5:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Westone
Westone

Back to top Go down

Do you consider the Electra/Westones Legit Westones? Empty Re: Do you consider the Electra/Westones Legit Westones?

Post by Westone Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:18 pm

@Barry sorry i put this in the wrong category. Please can you move this to the "General" category?

edit:
Done. Moved to the General Forum  Wink
Westone
Westone

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:50 am

Unequivocally yes!!

That particular guitar would be about the only one to draw me out of a self-imposed buying ban… go and grab it!!

These H/S/H Tom Presley designed guitars are phenomenally versatile, though this one has had the neck pickup replaced…
corsair

Number of posts : 6319
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Westone likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Westone Sat Sep 04, 2021 5:31 am

corsair1 wrote:These H/S/H Tom Presley designed guitars are phenomenally versatile, though this one has had the neck pickup replaced…
Correct, it now has a "Select by EMG" in the bridge position.  I like the active EMG pickups with pre-amps but this is a passive.  It's "ok" in the bridge position but i prefer an active.  It's also had at least one tuning knob replaced.  

I still wonder if the Klingon down pieces have ben sawed off?

My budget will only me allow to buy one Westone & it's between:
1) The above green flying V for $399
2) A curly maple Pantera (1 of 48) with switched out pickups for $1,100.
3) The Villain with Modulus Graphite neck in black color for $325 + Shipping.

(UPDATE: I ended up chosing the Villain)

Last edited by Westone on Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
Westone
Westone

Back to top Go down

Post by gittarasaurus Sat Sep 04, 2021 1:04 pm

Westone wrote:
I still wonder if the Klingon down pieces have ben sawed off?
nope
original matsumoku-made guitar body/neck
i have one of those in the same color, same shape. i will look around to find some pics of it.

there were many changes made in these designs around 1984 as SLM took more control of the Westone branded models for the USA market. a phrase you will see often; specifications subject to change without notice

you will find there are some Dynasty shape guitars with Electra/Westone on the headstock, and some with only Westone
(these are from 2  "klingon" shape guitars)
Do you consider the Electra/Westones Legit Westones? 00-h4rYz82ScDKmXss5jj8Qgc6phI1Pj6QvbkXh9nuQH-7ZXPRSfcgNBcjKY_Ecdoyl?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1521523623
gittarasaurus
gittarasaurus
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 1498
Registration date : 2011-05-25

Westone likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by gittarasaurus Sat Sep 04, 2021 1:35 pm

Do you consider the Electra/Westones Legit Westones? Enhance
previous owner switched out the original pickups for passive EMG's
gittarasaurus
gittarasaurus
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 1498
Registration date : 2011-05-25

Westone likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Westone Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:23 pm

gittarasaurus wrote:

you will find there are some Dynasty shape guitars with Electra/Westone on the headstock, and some with only Westone

previous owner switched out the original pickups for passive EMG's
Thank you for that explanation. Yours could be a twin of the one in the pawn shop!

Talking to the Electra guys in Florida, they feel all Electra/Westone & Electra/Crate guitars are truly "Electra" guitars even though all were matsumoku-made guitars at some point. (Maybe Crate was only Korean).
Westone
Westone

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down