The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Spectrum LX - Original Wiring/Switch setup

3 posters

Go down

switch - Spectrum LX - Original Wiring/Switch setup Empty Spectrum LX - Original Wiring/Switch setup

Post by Old_Stone_Andy Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:06 pm

Hello fellow Westone folks! I'm finally getting started on re-doing my Spectrum LX, and I need some help with the original wiring/switching diagram. On the wiring diagrams section of the westoneguitars.net website, the Spectrum LX says to reference the Dynasty wiring. https://westoneguitars.net/fixme/wiring-diagrams/dynasty/ This is not how my Spectrum LX was originally, as it had a HSH with the 1- neck coil-split; 2-middle p/u on/off; 3-bridge phase reverse. Where can I find diagram that shows this configuration? My only caveat right now is that I bought a single-coil sized humbucker for the middle, and I would like to use the T-1 knob for on/off (like original) and use the pot for a blend between full humbucker and coil split.

Anybody able to help me out with a modified diagram? I think if I sit and stare at the dynasty one long enough I could figure it out, but that may take a long bit of staring.... Shocked Any quick help would be appreciated, here's how far I'm with my project...

How it started now...
switch - Spectrum LX - Original Wiring/Switch setup Img-1610

With all the new parts mocked in....

switch - Spectrum LX - Original Wiring/Switch setup Img-1612

Been painting/sanding/painting/sanding for 5 days now and the Stone is starting to look pretty sweet!! I decided to go with the white from that era rather than the red... Hope everyone's ok with that...!! Laughing I'll start a new topic appropriately soon with paint pics... Just need help getting this wiring stuff figured out..

Thanks for any help you all can provide!!
Andy Old-Stone
Old_Stone_Andy
Old_Stone_Andy
Registered Member

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2020-09-24

Back to top Go down

switch - Spectrum LX - Original Wiring/Switch setup Empty Re: Spectrum LX - Original Wiring/Switch setup

Post by gittarasaurus Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:03 pm

the original setup on the LX gives you coil split on both the neck and bridge humbuckers when you pull up on the volume knob. the dynasty wiring diagram is correct for the spectrum LX wiring.

here is a quick sketch i made to let you use a pot to change from humbucker to single coil. i have never tried it out on an actual pickup to see how well it works. my guess is that there will be very little range to the 'blend' between humbucker and single coil. the signal will just seek the path of least resistance. so it will just kind of flip rather than blend as you rotate the pot. you might get better blending if you match the resistance of the pot to something close the resistance of the coil that gets shunted out of the circuit when you choose single coil. maybe something like a 10K pot might work to give a little more range to 'blend'.

switch - Spectrum LX - Original Wiring/Switch setup Enhance
gittarasaurus
gittarasaurus
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 1498
Registration date : 2011-05-25

Back to top Go down

switch - Spectrum LX - Original Wiring/Switch setup Empty Re: Spectrum LX - Original Wiring/Switch setup

Post by Old_Stone_Andy Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:16 pm

Thanks for the reply! I've looked up a few vids on doing the humbucker blend, that diagram simplifies everything on the circuit, thanks!!

As far as the dynasty diagram shows, I don't understand how the neck pickup can have a coil split with only the white/red/ground wires coming from that humbucker..? I thought you had to have the wires shown coming from the bridge humbucker to make a coil split.? Both full size HB's I have are wired with Red/White/Green/Black/bare, as is the middle single sized HB. I will try to sketch up something using the dynasty diagram with my wiring config and your blend circuit. Very Happy

Sorry for my basic understanding of these wiring stuffs... I'm just getting started with this portion of things, even just reading the diagrams correctly... I've replaced switches/pickups in place before, but never wired up something from scratch.

Thanks again for the help!
Old_Stone_Andy
Old_Stone_Andy
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by gittarasaurus Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:34 pm

the coil split occurs when you connect the center point between the two coils(red wire) to ground, thereby shunting out of the circuit one of the two coils and connecting only one coil to the output.

over time the production of the MMK45 pickups became quite specific to their use.

the MMK45 neck pickup usually had white/red/shield. the neck pickup was usually connected for humbucker/coil split.

the MMK45 bridge pickup usually had white/red/green/shield. this wiring allowed for connections of both humbucker/coil split, and phase reverse, allowing for the shield to remain grounded (which helps reduce noise), even when using the phase reverse.

the wiring scheme for these guitars is really brilliant. it provides an amazing variety tones for the player. it can be difficult to grasp all the options in the beginning, but eventually it feels quite intuitive in its setup and function.

if you take your time you can get it right. i recommend that you print out the wiring diagram and use a highlighter on each wire as you solder it in place. good preparation and a little practice and you can have it up and running in no time at all.

good luck!
take lots of pictures and post them

Last edited by gittarasaurus on Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:33 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : edit)
gittarasaurus
gittarasaurus
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by gittarasaurus Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:56 pm

Old_Stone_Andy wrote: Both full size HB's I have are wired with Red/White/Green/Black/bare, as is the middle single sized HB.
i guess the HB's are aftermarket pickups, not MMK45's.

they can still be wired into the 'Dynasty' wiring scheme
gittarasaurus
gittarasaurus
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Old_Stone_Andy Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:56 pm

Thank you so much! That makes sense when you explain it like that, they really did some cool stuff with the wiring configs!! I'm looking forward to getting some sets of alligator clips and testing this out so I can get it right in the guitar the first time... My soldering skills are sketchy at best, so I want to make the first attempt count!

I'll print out the diagram and put in my pickup wiring to make a proto of what I will attempt, along with your HB blend circuit. I'm almost done with the paint, so I'm really looking forward to putting it all back together.

And just to give you an idea of how I found the pups I'm working with...

I followed the link for a tremelo replacement from the Westoneguitars.net website and found this.. http://www.guitarfetish.com/Black-Floyd-Rose-Fastloader-Locking-Tremolo-System_p_110.html#

After poking around on there I found these hex pups.. 
 https://www.guitarfetish.com/HOT-Hex-Overwound-Humbuckers-Matched-Pair-BLOWOUT_p_414.html

Ended up getting the last pair of them! Very Happy
There is no info on their specs so I checked them with a multi when they arrived.
Neck measures 11.8k across both coils
Bridge measures 16.02k across both coils

Single sized HB I got from here https://www.dragonfireguitars.com/AR5s-Strat-AlNiCo-Rails-Pickup-with-A5s-Dual-Blade-Rails-10331.htm and measures 12.07k across both coils

I'm assuming the higher k on all these pups will make them be much louder/hotter.?. Hopefully I can get all the wiring stuff figured out and can start a new thread soon and show what I've gotten done... Can't wait to get it all put together and jam!! Laughing
Old_Stone_Andy
Old_Stone_Andy
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:12 pm

Old_Stone_Andy wrote:...After poking around on there I found these hex pups.. 
 https://www.guitarfetish.com/HOT-Hex-Overwound-Humbuckers-Matched-Pair-BLOWOUT_p_414.html

Ended up getting the last pair of them! switch - Spectrum LX - Original Wiring/Switch setup Icon_biggrin
There is no info on their specs so I checked them with a multi when they arrived.
Neck measures 11.8k across both coils
Bridge measures 16.02k across both coils
If these pups are from the same stock that I bought from several years ago it's taken a very long time to sell 'em off!

Mine measure in the same range as yours, and I thought I'd put them in my Epi LP Studio, but they were too aggressively hot for what I wanted.

Ended up going with P90's. Ahh, much better! Laughing

MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: https://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)
Barry
Barry
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 8689
Registration date : 2009-05-01

https://legend.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Old_Stone_Andy Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:32 am

Hello all! I'm havin' difficulties figuring out the wiring for this.... mainly because I've never done this type of work before, and most of the vids I've found assume you have more understanding than I currently have.

I have the matched HB's referenced above that Barry purchased years ago, after checking with a multi they appear to have the Seymour Duncan wiring configs... I was able to determine which was + and - from each coil. The middle HB is a RWRP from dragonfire.com referenced above, and I've yet to determine the + and - of each coil... I tried to use microsoft paint to re-work the dynasty diagram to match my wiring, but I'm stumped..

Please forgive my lack of knowledge on wiring, and I understand if ya'll want to send me to Goggle and YT to figure it out... switch - Spectrum LX - Original Wiring/Switch setup Icon_pale I'm just not getting some things, like where do all the earth wires go without creating a ground loop? And how I can shunt a single coil on my neck pup with the wiring I have? Why are DPDT switches made to be soldered rather than have sweet connectors that you can test with?? switch - Spectrum LX - Original Wiring/Switch setup 419367009 for dummies like me!! 

Here is what I have done so far with the dynasty diagram trying to show the wiring I have..

switch - Spectrum LX - Original Wiring/Switch setup Dynast12

I understand if you guys want to send me to a pro, that's what they're for... But I'd really like to do this myself since I've spent a lot of $$ just getting the parts I need and want to feel some sense of accomplishment with this...

Thanks for any help you can provide, and I look forward to hearing from my fellow westoners!!

Old_Stone_Andy
Old_Stone_Andy
Old_Stone_Andy
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:01 am

...I'm just not getting some things, like where do all the earth wires go without creating a ground loop? And how I can shunt a single coil on my neck pup with the wiring I have? Why are DPDT switches made to be soldered rather than have sweet connectors that you can test with?? switch - Spectrum LX - Original Wiring/Switch setup 419367009 for dummies like me!!
You can drive yourself mad on Google but the best teacher is hands on experimentation.
Pick up a set of inexpensive jumper wires with alligator clips at the end and follow the diagram.

It can get messy, but you can quickly make changes to see "what happens if..." Speaking of messy, have a look at the fun I had with my LX : LINK

Barry
Barry

Back to top Go down

Post by gittarasaurus Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:23 pm

"And how I can shunt a single coil on my neck pup with the wiring I have?" 
       - i thought you wanted to use the T1 pot to coil-split the middle pickup.

the dynasty drawing gives you coil splitting on your neck and bridge pickups thru the p/p on the volume pot.

as far as grounding goes, just be sure that each component has a ground wire attached to the casing, and they are all connected together, including the output jack and also a wire to the spring claw.

if you use the sketch i made earlier, then you connect the output from the pickup to the coil-split-pot first, then from the pot to the top left lug on the p/p so you still get the on/off control thru the p/p. the other blue wires on the diagram get connected as shown from 3-way -> p/p -> volume pot.

disregard the green wire from the 3-way switch to the T1 pot, since this is no longer a tone control. also remove the capacitor.
gittarasaurus
gittarasaurus
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by gittarasaurus Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:38 pm

i also notice that by using the T1 p/p for a coil splitter instead, it leaves you with only tone control for the bridge pickup.

this can be altered to give you a master tone control.

the orange wire that goes from the p/p center lug to the tone2 pot should be eliminated. the wire should go from the p/p center lug  directly to the 3-way switch. add a wire from the T2 pot (lug2) to the volume pot (lug1).
gittarasaurus
gittarasaurus
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Old_Stone_Andy Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:21 pm

Thanks for all this info guys!! I bought 2 sets of alligator clips w/wires attached, now it’s just getting time to do it..! Between work and work at home, it’s hard to get the time to mess around with the fun stuff!! I’ll let you guys know how it works out, and hopefully start a new thread soon showing all my progress/problems...!

Barry: I’ll be using your link about your LX redo for reference, excellent info in there!!

Gittarasaurus: You’ve been a great help with your wiring knowledge, hope to get this thing setup correctly and make y’all proud!!

And I’m currently set back a bit cause of massive paint fail.. Completely self imposed and feel like an idiot, but I think I can still pull off something and make it look sweet! Wish me the best and thanks again for all your help!!
Stoney-Old-Andy
Old_Stone_Andy
Old_Stone_Andy
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:22 pm

Old_Stone_Andy wrote:Barry: I’ll be using your link about your LX redo for reference, excellent info in there!!
Thanks, but do be aware that it was butchered up pretty good by the previous owner. Most of the effort was in discovering what he had done, and then trying to undo it, and then making it correct!

It was right PITA but in the end it's a fantastic guitar with more options than I'd ever use.  Good luck with yours!

Barry
Barry

Back to top Go down

Post by Old_Stone_Andy Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:33 pm

Hey all! I've finally gotten back around to working on my old stone!!! 

switch - Spectrum LX - Original Wiring/Switch setup Img-2210

Finally somewhat happy with the paint, so I've been going after the wiring.. never knew how the original wiring actually worked until hooking up some gator clips per the diagram.. I didn't know the "push" setting on the volume pot had both neck & bridge humbuckers split coil and the "pull" gave full humbuckers... Had that backwards in my head!! So I've decided to change my wiring setup a bit.. I'd like the full humbuckers with the "push" setting and "pull" to get the split coil of both.. (Unless I'm totally doing something wrong.. which may be the case, it's my first attempt at doing this stuff..)

I'm going to try and have the following setup. 

-Volume 1 will control the neck and bridge humbuckers volume, the push will be full humbuckers, the pull will be split coils of neck and bridge.

-Tone 1 will become volume 2, for only the middle single sized HB, the push will be full humbucker, the pull will split the coil.

-Tone 2 will become master tone, the push will be bridge normal phase, the pull will be bridge reverse phase.

I tried to modify the old dynasty diagram with my ideas, but I'm not sure I'm even on the right track.. I can't get my head right with how to hook-up the middle bucker.. I've been staring and connecting and reconnecting for way too long tonight and I've completely driven myself nuts!!! Here's my modified dynasty diagram...

switch - Spectrum LX - Original Wiring/Switch setup Weston11

I believe I have the pickup wiring conversion correct, and I haven't fried the pots yet!!! If anyone has any suggestions I would really appreciate them!

And Barry: Your idea of filling a worn out screw hole with a piece of solder worked great!! I had to use 1 toothpick and some small dia solder bits to get my trem claw screw to hold correctly... Worked great on a neck screw as well... Great Idea!!!

Looking forward to your insight!!
Andy
Old_Stone_Andy
Old_Stone_Andy
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:15 am

Barry: Your idea of filling a worn out screw hole with a piece of solder worked great!!
Glad to hear it helped!

Love the paint job!

Barry
Barry

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down