The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New guy with question on Bendmaster Deluxe collar and knobs

5 posters

Go down

Bendmaster - New guy with question on Bendmaster Deluxe collar and knobs Empty New guy with question on Bendmaster Deluxe collar and knobs

Post by Gloveberg Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:26 pm

Hello everyone!!  I recently picked up an '87 XA1330 in White Burgundy Burst.  I don't have any pictures yet because it's apart for cleaning and polishing but I promise I'll post when it's ready  Very Happy

Question #1:

I've read through the "Fix-me" for replacement the missing collar on the trem but i'm confused.  On the web page for the fix it shows using a die to cut 9mm threads on a stock FR collar and then screwing that into the sustain block.  Well the Bendmaster Deluxe I have doesn't have a sustain block that extends that far so there's nothing to actually screw into.

Bendmaster - New guy with question on Bendmaster Deluxe collar and knobs NhsJRVT

Bendmaster - New guy with question on Bendmaster Deluxe collar and knobs ZoqvTFS

Could I just cut threads onto the blank lower part of the FR collar and use a nut from the bottom to hold it?

Question #2:

The rollers that the strings go over on the Bendmaster Deluxe trem should be free right?  I have the trem off and will try to free them as I clean it up.

Question #3:

For whatever reason someone at some point put Strat knobs on it (blasphemy I know).  I'm not sure what knobs came originally on the guitar and if those aren't still available then what would be a close resemblance now?

Thanks in advance!!

Jimmy
Gloveberg
Gloveberg
Registered Member

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2019-11-22

Back to top Go down

Bendmaster - New guy with question on Bendmaster Deluxe collar and knobs Empty Re: New guy with question on Bendmaster Deluxe collar and knobs

Post by Westbone Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:55 pm

Use these they're the same as the original gear.

They come in chrome.
Trem collar

The 'rollers' in the bridge are fixed.

Someone is making replica knobs on the forum somewhere.
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 5917
Registration date : 2008-12-28

http://www.chruler.com/

Back to top Go down

Bendmaster - New guy with question on Bendmaster Deluxe collar and knobs Empty Re: New guy with question on Bendmaster Deluxe collar and knobs

Post by Gloveberg Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:07 pm

Westbone wrote:Use these they're the same as the original gear.

They come in chrome.
Trem collar

Thanks so much, the collar I had ordered was the one on the "Fix-me" page.
Gloveberg
Gloveberg
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:54 pm

Gloveberg wrote:
Westbone wrote:Use these they're the same as the original gear.

They come in chrome.
Trem collar

Thanks so much, the collar I had ordered was the one on the "Fix-me" page.
The one on the fix me page is for a Bendmaster and Bendmaster FT trem not the Bendmaster Deluxe.

Should work. No need to cut a thread.

Just not the correct one for your Bendmaster Deluxe trem.

Clearly states that on the fix me page. Even has photos... Cool
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Gloveberg Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:51 pm

Westbone wrote:The one on the fix me page is for a Bendmaster and Bendmaster FT trem not the Bendmaster Deluxe.

Should work. No need to cut a thread.

Just not the correct one for your Bendmaster Deluxe trem.

Clearly states that on the fix me page. Even has photos... Cool

I will accept my ridicule and floggings now for missing that  Crying or Very sad
Gloveberg
Gloveberg
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:18 pm

The ridicule has only just started, pal..... :-)

Yeah... those rollers bugged the crap out of me and I set to a few years back and made one with rotating rollers by driling an ever so slightly bigger hole through the roller - which is hardened, by the way; ask me how I know!! - so that it could actually roll around the split pin. Really, for the amount of movement the string has across the roller, hardly worth perservering with. Which is a long winded way of saying that no; they don't move.

Knicelyr in here is in the process of casting all manner of goodies from aluminium; Bendmaster Deluxe and FT stringlock bases.... and Switchmaster knobs, which as you've no doubt realised by now, were peculiar to Westone and are, of course, no longer available; PM him - he's a good egg!
corsair

Number of posts : 6321
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Gloveberg Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:01 am

Does anyone know off hand what the fretboard radius of the XA1330 is by chance?
Gloveberg
Gloveberg
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:05 am

LINK
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by nasticanasta Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:48 am

The bend master is absolute junk, If I were you if route that neck pocket and put in a real locking bridge. I did this with a Pantera.
nasticanasta
nasticanasta

Number of posts : 187
Registration date : 2010-02-18

Back to top Go down

Post by nasticanasta Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:43 am

To just drop in a FR, you’d have to route the pocket to move the neck closer... believe me, not much but you’ll need it
nasticanasta
nasticanasta

Back to top Go down

Post by nasticanasta Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:28 pm

The saddles don’t sit in the same place on a bendmaster a they do on a Floyd Rose, that’s why the neck pocket needs to be routed to move the neck closer, it’s easier than plugging the trem holes and redoing all you suggested, and trying to fix this bend master is a total waste of time. Not only do the strings not lock causing the ends to get caught, but those stupid little things that hold the string down on the saddles catch on the wound strings causing the whole thing to go out of tune, the absolute worst piece of junk I ever came across...this guy is going to restore this crap and wind up with junk he will hate, I know I did.
nasticanasta
nasticanasta

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:01 pm

g
nasticanasta wrote:The saddles don’t sit in the same place on a bendmaster a they do on a Floyd Rose, that’s why the neck pocket needs to be routed to move the neck closer, it’s easier than plugging the trem holes and redoing all you suggested, and trying to fix this bend master is a total waste of time. Not only do the strings not lock causing the ends to get caught, but those stupid little things that hold the string down on the saddles catch on the wound strings causing the whole thing to go out of tune, the absolute worst piece of junk I ever came across...this guy is going to restore this crap and wind up with junk he will hate, I know I did.
Wow! I'd say nice to see you back, mate, but ... really?! Unsolicited vitriol? Your experience may have been less than positive, but mine has been the exact opposite so, horses for courses, eh? 

I've NEVER had a wound string - or any other for that matter, catch on the little hold down bar over the saddles; you must be exerting some fairly fierce upwards pressure to do that - realise that most who use a bar will only use it for gentle wobbles, and then mainly downwards wobbles! If you feel the need to swing on the bar like billy-o, then by all means, do what you've gotta do but do remember, your opinion is exactly like: an opinion.

The single locking thing is a non-issue; I really don't have a problem with that?! I've used Floyds, Gotohs and Kahlers as well as the Bendmaster, and while I freely admit that you have to be a bit more careful with a Bendmaster, the others really don't perform so much better that I'd have to think about changing the bridge out!

You are right about having to re-rout the hole, though, and re-position the saddles to the correct spot.

You know, reading through your previous posts, I can discern only negativity and a combative personality unsuited to a very small, brand specific forum: I repeat what I said in 2010 - perhaps you'd be happier somewhere else?? Which would be a shame as you have knowledge which you aren't afraid of sharing, but vitriolic, subjective opinions have no place here.
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:07 pm

To whoever was commenting as a "Guest": if you want to express an opinion, that's fine - just have the courage to do it up front - this is the internet, FFS; we can't see you!!
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by Gloveberg Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:21 pm

Okay just to clarify if I don't care for the trem I'll do what I do to most trem's and just block them...lol.  I'm not messing with the neck pocket.  That's far beyond my level plus i don't want to mess up a really nice guitar.

I will say this the stock pickups in the XA1330 are LOUD and pretty great sounding.
Gloveberg
Gloveberg
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:14 am

Gloveberg wrote:Okay just to clarify if I don't care for the trem I'll do what I do to most trem's and just block them..
ba dum bum

MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: https://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)
Barry
Barry
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 8689
Registration date : 2009-05-01

https://legend.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down