The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Yet another bendmaster question...

3 posters

Go down

Yet another bendmaster question... Empty Yet another bendmaster question...

Post by jtripp83 Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:16 pm

I've recentley picked up a genesis 1 ann. and the previous owner had put a left handed mighty mite II neck on... Real stupid i know... i've replaced the nut to make my stings fit... my action, ever since i got it, has been real high... my question is about the bridge spacers, were the bendo screws screw into. are those adjustable or do you have to take them out and re put them back in??... my neck is almost straight by the way...
Thanx for ant help or ideas...
jtripp83
Registered Member

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2009-04-26

Back to top Go down

Yet another bendmaster question... Empty Re: Yet another bendmaster question...

Post by Steve777 Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:50 pm

Hi there and welcome,

I think I remember seeing this guitar advertised on ebay and wondering why it had a replacement neck. Hey ho, one of those things. Corsair(John) and I both have Genesis II's so I guess we can help with any specific model questions although most guitars function along the same principles.

You have a Bendmaster de luxe trem that pivots on two posts. The posts are screwed into steel inserts and are designed to be adjusted up and down without their removal. By doing this, you should be able to set the action to your liking. As far as intonation is concerned, I'm not familiar with Mighty Mite necks so I cant advise.

Post some pictures so we can have a look.
Steve777
Steve777

Number of posts : 356
Registration date : 2008-10-14

Back to top Go down

Post by jtripp83 Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:29 pm

Hey thanx for the quick reply... I don't want to seem rude or un-educated but were you saying i could move the inserts up and down or just the bridge screws. my inserts are the problem they are (just to give you an idea) about 1/2 inch out of the guitar... from wood to top of insert... if the inserts can move without removal how does one go about doing so... i've allways been kind of a fixed bridger guy...
Thanx again for your insight.
jtripp83
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve777 Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:39 am

Hi there,

Your inserts are, for want of a better word, fluted. That is, they have lots of grooves running down their length and are designed to be a interference fit in the wood. Overtime, with the pull of the trem and I suppose general trem use, they can work themselves loose, the hole becoming slightly oval, and "ride" up as yours have done.

As you state, the trem posts (or bridge Screws as you refer) screw in and out inside the inserts. What you need to do is re-secure the inserts in their respective holes. Remove the trem and posts / inserts, use a hardwood dowel, glue in the hole and re-drill the hole. This the hard way and you need to be very accurate.

Or ... remove the trem / post and inserts, cut some fine slivers of softwood the length of the hole (probably half the thickness of a match stick dependent on the amount of play in the hole), glue to the back or front of the hole and then put the inserts back. I would screw the posts back onto the insert and with small hammer tap the post / insert back into the hole so that the insert is flush with the guitar body. Once the insert starts to go down, protect the trem post head with a piece of wood.

I had the same problem on the Genesis II but fortunately the paint sprayers got enough paint down the holes to make the inserts tight again.

Hope this helps, Steve
Steve777
Steve777

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:30 am

Yep, Steve's right on the button; I concur about the problem and the cures - neither are particularly hard cures, just time consuming! I would opt for a full fix personally but to each his own! (It's just that I've found the hard way that you do a job once, do it right and the problems gone for good!!) Very Happy
The BD post on one of my Clippers was pulling up under tension and as a quick fix I put a narrow doubled up piece of fine sandpaper in the hole and that sorted that for a while!!
They're a very good trem bridge; certainly as good as a FR but if you want to lock it down I'll post a pic of what was done to one of mine - it's a very elegant fix...
corsair

Number of posts : 6319
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by jtripp83 Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:34 am

Thanx guys!! yeah a pic would be nice. I'll try to get 1 up today. Do you have specific specs on the bit size for the wholes?
jtripp83
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve777 Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:46 am

Sorry, cant help with bit size but the hole needs to be slightly smaller for the grooves on the insert to bite into the wood. Incidently, why did the previous owner change the neck? Has the MM neck been fitted with the original string lock plate and Westone tuners? Just curious! Maybe he still has the original neck ....

John, any idea on bit size as you have done this before? I'm a bit stumped on this as I really dont want to take my "Geetar" apart.
Steve777
Steve777

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:57 pm

Rightio, here we go then... the unfluted part of the post measures 7.45mm, and the fluted part 7.95mm, so that's that sorted.

The trem on a Clipper I bought was blocked by this piece of work...

Yet another bendmaster question... Block

Yet another bendmaster question... Block1

..which is a headless 1200mm engineers bolt welded to the trem claw with a corresponding hole in the trem block. It's a lot more elegant then the traditional block o'wood, eh!!

Last edited by corsair on Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:59 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : pic...)
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by jtripp83 Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:17 pm

yeah the mighty mights are a "fender lic" replacement neck... it's alright i guess... you know havn't had the action low enough to play the thig... it still has the westone tuners though... wish it was the westone neck though... anywho's once i had the trem off, the inserts were still kinda tight... no play for even a thinner toothpick... so i tried pushing one in as far as i could to see what was up and i got it like half way in so i figured that i could use some wood glue and tapp them in the rest of they way to get them real snugg... i guess we'll see how this fares... if not i can always do the dowell fix... thanx so much for the input guys. I figured i better ask before i tried something... didn't want to jack the whole guitar up...
That's quite the design on the fixed bridge you got there...
jtripp83
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:36 pm

Yeah, it is, eh... and it works beautifully!! We have yet to see this thing of yours; you are gonna show it to us, right?! Very Happy Does the headstock have the behind-the-nut stringlock that the Genesis' came with?

You'll probably be OK with the glue in the hole but PVA, or white glue, won't quite have the muscle to hang onto the steel inserts I wouldn't think. If you're not gonna bother replacing the bridge at any time then use something like Loctite 454, but be aware that these bridges are getting on a bit and those saddles are peculiar to the Bendmaster Deluxe bridge; if anything actually breaks and your posts are permanently secured in their holes then repair will be an exercise in frustration!

Please do give us a look at it...
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve777 Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:46 am

Yup, I concur with John. Like minds and all that. It may well be that the inserts have ridden up naturally over time and just need tapping down. However, as they have ridden up, the chances are that there is some play, no matter how small, and will probably happen again.

As John says, no real problem and quite fixable.

As for the original neck, I'm not sure, apart from Genesis's, which other models they were fitted to. Pantera, Corsair, and Genesis look likely candidates. I would glue myself to ebay and wait till one comes up, no matter what the condition. I have seen shops and distributors dispose of Westone necks on ebay USA before. Not many granted, but they do come up. Maybe a few phone calls to local music shops who may have stocked Westone in the past would find one or even elusive spares. Another member posted last week that he had just bought a Thunder 2a for an incredible £10, about $13 !!!!!!!. It have been left for repair 15 years ago and the owner never turned up.

Good hunting
Steve777
Steve777

Back to top Go down

Post by jtripp83 Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:08 am

Yet another bendmaster question... G1_xa-14
jtripp83
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by jtripp83 Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:10 am

Yet another bendmaster question... G1_xa-15
jtripp83
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by jtripp83 Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:11 am

Yet another bendmaster question... G1_xa-16
jtripp83
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by jtripp83 Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:20 am

there she is fellas... i've got a crappy camera so please excuse the no close ups... i just tuned her up and set the action.. i've got a minor truss rod adjustment to do but it seemsto be playing pritty good... those are the original tuners, the previous owner didn't have the locking but system, tht's ok though i usualy take them off... its a solid maple fretboard so i'll see if i like it... i'm not usually a big fan but i'm game for trying new things...
Also on the bridge, you set the intunation with those little allen screws? i see that there are two sets of wholes for that or are the other wholes for something else? umm ill see if i can get you a pic of what i'm talking about... sometimes it's just better when you can see it...
jtripp83
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by jtripp83 Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:26 am

Yet another bendmaster question... Pix_7010

This is such a bad pic... but i hope you get the idea...
jtripp83
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:46 pm

jtripp83 wrote:there she is fellas... i've got a crappy camera so please excuse the no close ups... i just tuned her up and set the action.. i've got a minor truss rod adjustment to do but it seemsto be playing pritty good... those are the original tuners, the previous owner didn't have the locking but system, tht's ok though i usualy take them off... its a solid maple fretboard so i'll see if i like it... i'm not usually a big fan but i'm game for trying new things...
Also on the bridge, you set the intunation with those little allen screws? i see that there are two sets of wholes for that or are the other wholes for something else? umm ill see if i can get you a pic of what i'm talking about... sometimes it's just better when you can see it...

Gee, that's a lovely finish - is it high gloss? The intonation is indeed set with the little Allen bolts under the strings! It's fiddly and time consuming, but not overly onerous. AFAIK, both holes are for intonating as they're both threaded and I can't see what else you could use the front hole for when the saddle is bolted down in the rear one, eh!! Oh, be aware that the saddles follow the fretboard radius in that they are set at different heights, so I do hope you marked 'em if you removed 'em!! Smile
As for the stringlocks, I found that without them, heavy trem use did tend to throw the guitar out of tune quite quickly which shouldn't be a worry for you if you're not a trem user: just something else to be aware of.... Very Happy You gotta wonder at the guy who put the MM neck on; using the tuners but neglecting to put on the stringlock?! Shocked

The OEM neck on these things is a revelation (like all Westones!!); really flat - probably about 11 inch - and oiled so it's as fast as; if you can get one, do so as I think you'd like it. The Corsair Anniversary models, Clipper CL 2012, 3012 and 4112 all had the same sort of bolt-on neck, there are reverse headstocked ones too so be careful, eh...
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down