The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Spectrum SX conundrum!

2 posters

Go down

Spectrum SX conundrum! Empty Spectrum SX conundrum!

Post by north-west-one Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:57 pm

Just taken delivery of a Spectrum SX from Ebay UK. You may have checked it out. The photo really did not show too clearly the condition but I took the gamble and it seams to have payed off. One or two questions though that I hope that some of the forum sages might be able to answer.
The guitar has no locking nut although according to the catalogue photos it should have. There is no evidence of holes where screws may have held it down. I am correct in assuming that they were glued on. I see in another posting that a Kahler "behind the nut" locknuts would be a suitable replacement. I have sourced one from All Parts. Will this do the job ok?
Another slight anomaly is that there is only one string guide fitted to hold the B and E strings. Catalogue photos show no string guides! Should I fit a second one?
The last anomaly is that the jack socket is on the side of the body but the catalogue shows it to be on the front of the body. My Spectrum LX is the same-jack on the side, catalogue photo shows it on the front..........Strange or what.
There was no trem arm with the guitar bit my spectrum MX trem fits perfectly. The SX trem is a bendmaster FT while the MX trem is the bendmaster. Am I to assume that both trem systems are the same. "Spares" has trems for the Bendmaster FT. I assume that they will fit both MX and SX models.

Fraser.
north-west-one
north-west-one
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2009-05-18

Back to top Go down

Spectrum SX conundrum! Empty Re: Spectrum SX conundrum!

Post by corsair Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:59 pm

Right-o, first up show us what you've got, Fraser, and life becomes a whole hell of a lot easier!! Very Happy The Bendmaster FT and Deluxe are quite different trems and the parts are not interchangeable and the stringlock is a 'behind the nut" type, not a locking nut as such.
It's very odd that there are no signs of the lockbase; if it's fitted with an FT, then it must have had a lock; simple as that! Mind you, the screws that hold my Deluxe lockbases on are very fine; maybe the FT ones are as well and were filled when the lock base stripped out some time in the past?!
I believe the Kahler will do the trick; Colt is better at this stuff than I am, maybe he could weigh in here...
As for the output jack, well, have a look at this...

http://www.westone.info/spectrumfx.html

...the position of the jack seems to have varied within a model range so that just seems to be the old "Matsumoku specifications may change at any time with no warning" type of thing. Maybe.... Laughing
corsair

Number of posts : 6322
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by north-west-one Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:45 pm

I have eventually got round to fitting the Kahler behind the nut locking mechanism. Works a treat. Thought you may like to see it.........[img][/img]

Spectrum SX conundrum! Dscf0010

Spectrum SX conundrum! Dscf0011
north-west-one
north-west-one
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2009-05-18

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:58 pm

Well done, you! So, it's a player now? Odd to see a red SX without the red fingerboard, eh!! Spectrum SX conundrum! Icon_smile
corsair

Number of posts : 6322
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down