The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Identifying a Westone guitar

3 posters

Go down

Identifying a Westone guitar Empty Identifying a Westone guitar

Post by roee_r Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:36 am

About 15 years ago I had a very short (and unsuccessfull) try at playing an electric guitar. My parents got me a used guitar, which i played very little. Now I want to sell it, but first i have to find what kind of guitar it is. With Google's assistance I discovered it's a Westone guitar, but that's as far as I got. On the guitar there's the model's name, "Thunder I-A", But the guitar looks different from every photo of that model I've managed to find on the Internet. Actually, the guitar resembles the "Thunder I-T" model more, but still - there are some differences. I therefore uploaded some pictures of my guitar to this picasa album. can someone help me identify the specific model, and possibly tell estimate it's worth (in US dollars, Euros or UK pounds)?
thanks a lot,
Roee
roee_r@yahoo.com
roee_r
Registered Member

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2009-07-31

Back to top Go down

Identifying a Westone guitar Empty Re: Identifying a Westone guitar

Post by Warrn Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:10 am

If you look on Westone.info at the different versions of the Thunder I-A, it appears to be the final version but in white instead of natural or black. So it is a Thunder I-A, just a very late version.
Warrn
Warrn

Number of posts : 1133
Registration date : 2008-08-03

Back to top Go down

Post by roee_r Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:18 am

Thabks, Warrn.
Are you sure about this? not only the color is different. The Thunder I-As I saw on the web had more knobs and switches than my guitar. That was the main reason i wasn't sure about the whole thing. The colors were just a secondary thing.
roee_r
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrn Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:00 pm

The Westone.info page shows two guitars with slightly different finishes that are otherwise identical to yours. They are at the very bottom of the Thunder I-A guitar page. If you look closely, you will see that they have the same number and placement of knobs and switches, as well as the little Phoenix W logo on the pickups. The only difference seems to be the logo on the headstock. Everything else looks to match, although your knobs may not be original. I am no authority on the Thunder guitars, but I would suggest selling it as a late model Thunder I-A, as evidenced by the serial number, which appears to begin with a 5 or 6. It looks closer to a 5, but either way that is very late for a Thunder model. We usually see the earlier 81-83 ones.

In short, I would say I am sure that it is a Thunder I-A (version 5).
Warrn
Warrn

Number of posts : 1133
Registration date : 2008-08-03

Back to top Go down

Post by roee_r Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:38 pm

Thanks. Very Happy
roee_r
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:13 pm

Um, roee, you are going to post some more pix in a better light, aren't you?! That's a stunner; I know the guys will hate me for this but I really like the Thunders in white rather than the woodgrain, and that seems to be a primo example!! Very Happy
corsair

Number of posts : 6321
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by roee_r Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:18 am

Corsair,
I posted some new photos in the same picasa album, you can check it out. Can you estimate the guitar's value (I understand that it would be a rough estimate since you can't hear its sound, but still).
Roee.
roee_r
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:56 pm

yeah; they're a stunner in white!! As to value, I haven't been following the Thunders so am no help; just go through the expired listings on eBay for a pointer..
corsair

Number of posts : 6321
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down