The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bayonnet joint?

2 posters

Go down

Bayonnet joint? Empty Bayonnet joint?

Post by enaich Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:22 pm

I was reading the Development History (USA)-part 1 and the 'bayonet' neck:

We tooled up the Bendmaster I and IISwitchmaster KnobsBayonet Heels for the Cutaways – I was really pissed because Aria actually ended up with a couple of models with the heel – I had applied for a US Patent in ’78 as a “Horizontal Dovetail” (never granted) and at that time I only had $1200 in my saving account so I couldn’t fight it.

I've done a bit of searching and can't really find much info on the design and wondered if anyone else had any more technical diagrams of the 
actual join. I haven't opened up either of my Thunder IIs to take a look - the best I have so far is a shot from Westbone that shows two screws underneath the neck pickup:
Bayonnet joint? PA311228_zps4bdb7d31

Anyway, just wondered if people had more to contribute - maybe a cross-sectional diagram? I was also wondering if the bolts went into nuts countersunk in the body, or just directly into the wood of the body.

Doing a quick internet search using 'bayonet join guitar' and variations, doesn't really reveal very much (I'm guessing future searches will direct here!). I'm also curious as to the 'Horizontal Dovetail' that Tom tried to patent.

All this to say, I'm liking the new Thunder II. It sounded slightly different to me, but I didn't test both guitars A/B so it could just be my imagination. And sustain. I think I can still hear it...
enaich
enaich
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2014-01-20

Back to top Go down

Bayonnet joint? Empty Re: Bayonnet joint?

Post by Westbone Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:28 am

Here's a x390 without screws(never had any), no inserts straight into the wood.
Bayonet joint, just goes straight in, glued+screwed.
Bayonnet joint? SANY0296_zps71ff3ca6
Bayonnet joint? SANY0294_zps2b6c719d
Bayonnet joint? SANY0291_zps8788aacf
Bayonnet joint? SANY0288_zps18daaa75
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 5917
Registration date : 2008-12-28

http://www.chruler.com/

Back to top Go down