The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Paduak I / II

+4
Catalyst
Sgt. Vimes
Westbone
fraze
8 posters

Go down

paduak - Paduak I  /  II Empty Paduak I / II

Post by fraze Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:45 am

Hi All,

I'm new to this so bear with me, but here goes.....

I've recently acquired a Westone Paduak and its a bit of an oddity, it has twin pickups, but the same control set up as a Paduak I  i.e volume and tone plus two mini switches, one I believe for coil tapping, and the other for switching in the preamp, plus obviously a pickup selector switch in the normal location.  Its a bit of a doer upper, as the bridge has the original MKM45 and the neck is a Seymour Duncan.

Nothing's wired up but it does have the boost preamp PCB, and its the same as one illustrated elsewhere on this forum so its not just a random tiny PCB that's been stuck in there....

Some help with a couple of issues would be gratefully received, firstly the connections for the PCB and some sort of schematic would be really good,  also how common are these Hybrid two pickup Paduaks with Paduak I controls?.

I half wondered whether someone had just added a second pickup to a Paduak I, but having looked at it the pickup cavity routing and also that for the pickup selector switch (in the usual position) both are obviously factory carried out CNC routing, so that's clearly how it left Matsumoku.

I'd be really grateful for any help...........

Ta,

Fraze
fraze
fraze
Registered Member

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2015-03-06

Back to top Go down

paduak - Paduak I  /  II Empty Re: Paduak I / II

Post by Westbone Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:07 am

http://www.westoneguitars.net/fixme/wiring-diagrams/paduak-i/

Remove the white wire, take it to one side on the selector switch. The other pickup to the other side and the middle to where the white was. If you have coil tapped p/ups just follow the red to switch. Put the other p/up on the opposite lug.
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 5917
Registration date : 2008-12-28

http://www.chruler.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by fraze Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:44 pm

That's Great, Thanks so much for your help, have you any notions of the two pickup paduak I conundrum??......
fraze
fraze
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:08 pm

Maybe a model that didn't go into production???
Seems a decent set up though. Like a two p/up Paduak I
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by fraze Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:33 pm

Yes perhaps, I've seen a couple of images of similar setups on google, but there doesn't seem to be many, Thanks again for your help!.
fraze
fraze
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:59 pm

It would be interesting to see this guitar.

Send me a PM with your email I'll reply in return and put some photos up if you like?
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by fraze Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:27 am

Hi,

I've just tried, but apparently I can't forward an email until I've been a member for 7 days....  I'll try again in due course.
fraze
fraze
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt. Vimes Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:20 pm

Westbone I think you can see the pictures on ebay right now,  brace yourself though....... Not for the feint hearted!
Sgt. Vimes
Sgt. Vimes
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 3322
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:34 am

'king 'ell!!! affraid   having a tin bath... Evil or Very Mad
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt. Vimes Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:36 am

I think the correct term is "taking the f@#king piss"  
#greedy
Sgt. Vimes
Sgt. Vimes
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Catalyst Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:33 am

I think 'optimistic' would be a better way of putting it.
What he basically has is your v1 Paddy I Sarge with an extra 45 in it.....or a Paddy II without the extra control versatility.
Not quite sure how a Paddy II wannabe with less controls is worth 4 times more than a bona fide Paddy II, but it is certainly unique and I am sure will appeal to really, really serious Paddy collectors - of which I am sure there are many.... 

A Prestige 250 went for less than that recently - just sayin'

Last edited by Catalyst on Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:34 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : can't spell for sh1t...)
Catalyst
Catalyst
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 319
Registration date : 2013-02-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt. Vimes Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:50 am

Of course it will appeal, I bet the price won't! 

I'm sorry if  you disagree with this,  but it's sellers like this who are artificially raising prices whilst thinking they can make megabucks on "ultra rare blah blah"  
Other ebay sellers see this and think " oh poop, didn't realise my Japanese xxx guitar was worth so much,  I might as well cash in,  add a zero...."   privates to it all,  and privates to these sellers.
Sgt. Vimes
Sgt. Vimes
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Catalyst Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:27 am

If the price doesn't appeal he won't sell it.
We both know the £900 asking price is ludicrous but eventually someone will pay for it what they think it is worth so I'm pretty neutral on the pricing situation, just because you ask for something doesn't mean that someone will pay it.......I was just trying to let him down slowly by explaining that rareness doesn't always equate to extra£££    Cool

I am guessing that he doesn't know a great deal about Uncle Mat and his 'subject to change' policy so what he sees as rare, we just see as simply different.

I knew it was a bad idea to post anything today after last nights dismal result...Derbys inability to score goals and obvious ability in letting in goals is messing with my mellons man..... geek
Catalyst
Catalyst
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 319
Registration date : 2013-02-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt. Vimes Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:35 am

"privates"  should read "bollox" 

And I had no intention of letting him down slowly,  full frontal in-yer-face is my preferred method ☺
Sgt. Vimes
Sgt. Vimes
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt. Vimes Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:43 am

Saying all that, it  is a nice guitar and fraze can charge what he likes and I guess it's not for me to say whether it's a right or wrong price,  but I am allowed my opinion, so there it is.
Sgt. Vimes
Sgt. Vimes
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by fraze Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:56 pm

Well now, this is a can of worms isn't it? since the conversation and language appear to have receded to a level approaching civilised, I'll put my forpen'orth in.

Firstly, PROPORTION!!!!!  I'm not Black Marketing Penicillin, I'm not a Slum Landlord, I'm just a bloke with his own business buying, restoring and selling guitars trying to get the best price for his stock, its a guitar not a Kalashnikov! 

Secondly, value, if you cannot concede that an instrument, examples of which are few and far between is worth more than one that is common, then you have no head for business, but don't worry most people don't.... On this particular curve of economics then matters of utility, i.e how many knobs it has have little to do with it.

Thirdly: You People Don't know me! but you assume to know my motivations, you will doubtless be uninterested in these facts, (but I'm going to tell you anyway), its my job because its my business, and yes I pay Tax and NI and a wage to someone, work a minimum of 60 hours a week and drive 20 plus thousand miles a year in pursuit of my business. I'm well into my 50's and have been doing this for a long time, and my ebay feedback (which you are also happy to ignore) means that I treat people right especially customers, obviously.

Fourthly, You accuse me of distorting the market?? PLEASE!!!! if I were capable of doing that I'd have retired to the Cornish Cliff Top Cottage years ago... Essentially the market finds its own level,  If I have to end up selling the Paduak for £400, then that's what I'll sell it for, but I'm buggered if I'm not going to have a crack at selling it for more. Its just business,  WHY DO YOU FIND IT SO MORALLY REPUGNANT?? (you all also appear to have conveniently ignored the fact that I'm happy to accept offers).  

Don't get me wrong I'm no ebay apologist (they don't call it scumbay for nothing), there are some deeply unpleasant characters operating on there (most of whom I've managed to avoid in my fifteen years of selling) but you really do yourself and myself no credit whatsoever by jumping to conclusions about me and my business. 

Finally (whilst I'm in full rant!!) I might as well disavow various preconceptions about dealers in general (Classic Cars, Antiques, Fine Art, Guitars, anything...) stock does not comes from the local car boot for nothing, I have to work bloody hard to acquire it, and equally hard to restore it and hopefully sell it, if you don't have the humanity to at least concede that, then I'm glad that I'm me and not you.......
fraze
fraze
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:08 pm

Huzzah, fraze; well reasoned and beautifully phrased rebuttal.

Also absolutely correct!

We tend to have a very narrow focus in here and tend to forget that the big, bad world doesn't necessarily see things from the purists POV. So please don't take anything we say too seriously, and besides, no-one has commented on what really matters about the Paduak range in that they are seriously ugly guitars!

Cornish clifftops?! Really?! Not Barbados or the Costa del crime, then?!Laughing
corsair

Number of posts : 6321
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by fraze Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:14 pm

Doh!!, its a fair cop, they're no great lookers..... Regarding retirement, its Blighty or Nowhere!!

p.s., Thanks for your support...
fraze
fraze
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Adey Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:16 am

Ugly?.... I think they look "unusual". But then I like " unusual".

I would really like one in my collection but will have to keep trying to find one I can afford.
Adey
Adey
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 424
Registration date : 2014-01-25

Back to top Go down

Post by BriGuy1968 Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:49 pm

Adey wrote:Ugly?.... I think they look "unusual". But then I like " unusual".

I would really like one in my collection but will have to keep trying to find one I can afford.

I agree wholeheartedly, Adey!
BriGuy1968
BriGuy1968
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2015-01-12

http://www.reverbnation.com/brianwgeorge

Back to top Go down

Post by thunduak-1 Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:48 am

corsair wrote:besides, no-one has commented on what really matters about the Paduak range in that they are seriously ugly guitars!

Not that I'm biased, but expect a visit from the Paddy heavies.....Mwaahahahahaha!!!! Twisted Evil
thunduak-1
thunduak-1
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2008-04-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down