The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tremolo spring question

4 posters

Go down

Tremolo spring question Empty Tremolo spring question

Post by moze229 Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:52 pm

I have the Corsair XA1440.  I've never seen a guitar have only two tremolo springs, but mine does, and always did.  What get's even weirder is this.

Tremolo spring question IMG_0803

They got sloppy and very generous with the solder on this ground wire.  LOL  I can't even connect a spring on the center hook because there's too much solder in the way.  The currently installed springs are on the outside hooks, angling slightly in and connecting to the bridge.  I also notice that when my strings are installed and the guitar is tuned properly, the bridge is leaning forward.  This is likely because there isn't enough tension on the bridge to level it out.  Works just fine as is, but I'd rather have it right.  Did they design these this way?  I was going to just buy another set of springs, as they seem to be a commonly sold size.  They are definitely cheap enough.  Should I just move the ground wire a bit?  I can get rid of about 2 oz of that flux and still have enough to solder an entire electric set left over.  Should I just try and remove some of it?  What's the best way to go about this?
moze229
moze229
Registered Member

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2015-02-20

Back to top Go down

Tremolo spring question Empty Re: Tremolo spring question

Post by The Chad Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:03 pm

Melt some of the solder away, for sure.  Add a third spring.  The way it is now with two springs, looks like you cannot adjust the screws in far enough to level out your floyd plate.  So remove a little solder, add a center spring, and screw the screws out some to make it level out.  Let us know how it goes!
The Chad
The Chad
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 2772
Registration date : 2011-02-01

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:13 pm

Gee, that's pretty ordinary, eh?! Yeah, de-solder and re-attach somewhere out of the way.

I use 4 springs on most of my trem guitars simply cause I find it adds to the tuning stability...
corsair

Number of posts : 6321
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by The Chad Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:25 pm

If you have a hard time resoldering to a new spot, just use the same spot and reduce the blob.
The Chad
The Chad
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 2772
Registration date : 2011-02-01

Back to top Go down

Post by moze229 Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:55 pm

I'll be pulling out the soldering iron as soon as my new springs get here. I ordered five, so ill be able to figure out how I like it to be setup. 

I'm not sure what the deal was with this one. Maybe mine got built on Friday around 5 o'clock. Smile
moze229
moze229
Registered Member

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2015-02-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:12 pm

Really messy soldering, but, yes, do what Chad said. Suck up the excess over the the hook. Or, just ignore the centre hook altogether and use the 4 outside ones

MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: https://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)
Barry
Barry
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 8689
Registration date : 2009-05-01

https://legend.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down