The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NGD, or, Dammit I did it again!! Off on another tangerine.

+2
gittarasaurus
Barry
6 posters

Go down

NGD, or, Dammit I did it again!! Off on another tangerine. Empty NGD, or, Dammit I did it again!! Off on another tangerine.

Post by Barry Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:44 am

Well, well, well. I guess I just have a death wish or summit. Sad  

As I got off the phone, having listened to a voice mail left earlier in the day, "She who must be obeyed" was heard to bark magnificently, "Did you buy another guitar?!"

Um, yes.  Neutral

See, it wasn't really like I was gassing after anything in particular, ya know? Just doing my usual perusing of local ads to see what was available. The last time I did this I spotted an interesting ad and ended up with a spectacular Mats-made Vantage for very little money. Couldn't help it. It had to be done.

This time, it was also a strangely/incorrectly worded title that eventually caught my eye. In amidst the ads to sell, was this one that started off, "Wanted: ..." Well, normally I just skip over those. This is a classified list of things for sale, not a list of stuff that people are looking for. I personally think people who post those ads are just lazy buggers. Type in what you're looking for and if there are any they'll show up! I'm not doing your work for you.

So I, like many others, simply skipped over this "ad". But a day or two later I happened to actually read it. The way it was positioned made it appear as if he was "looking" for these items when in fact he was selling them! So what was he selling you might axe?

This:
NGD, or, Dammit I did it again!! Off on another tangerine. Danelectro%20DC59%20%20Nifty%20Fifty%20Amp_zps3pfzdz2n_1
[Seller's picture]

To them who don't know what they be lookin' at, this is a circa 1998 Korean made reissue of the Danelectro DC59, complete with a Nifty Fifty 15W SS amp. Oh, and a Danecho pedal, and Danomatic (tuner) pedal. What a Face

Maybe it ain't your cup o' tea but I really love the Dano's and their "vintage" vibe. In fact, I still have my '65 DM25 tube amp, which, yes, I bought new. Hell, I'm vintage fer cryin' out loud!  tongue

I already had another Korean made '56 U2 reissue which is a great guitar to sit down and have fun with, nice jangly 50's-60's garage band/surfer sound. This will make a nice companion. And the colours of course are like nothing else you'll find on a guitar. This one's called Blue Suede, my '56 is Cool Copper. Fun stuff.

There's another back story about picking it up which was done by my brother who happens to live close to the seller. But I'll save it for when I actually get the stuff in my grubby little hands. Geoff still has it at his place about a hour's drive away. I'll be meeting him for lunch probably next week sometime.

So, why did I buy? 2, maybe 3 reasons.

The DC59's a very popular model and has had a few releases to date, each slightly different or "improved". But the first release circa '98 and Made in Korea is generally considered truer to the spirit and sound of the original guitar from the 50's. Later releases are made in China and although good, are somehow not the same. Too many differences to list here. So, the '98's are the ones that are most collectable.

The little Nifty Fifty amp (15W) is one of two models that were also released in '98. The other being the Dirty Thirty (10W). Even though they're SS people swear that there's a tube or two stuck in there somewhere, they're that good. Lots of examples on YouTube. They also carry that cool vintage look which at first glance looks like a legitimate 50's amp. These too are very sought after items.

Finally? Well, get this. This whole package has not been played, gigged, out of the house, or...out of the closet in almost 20 years! Except for one broken string caused by his kid, it's all original! And the amp was never used at all!

Current asking prices on eBay for a '98 Dano DC59 range between USD$350-500 and around $80 for a battered and bruised amp. All, of course, plus shipping, exchange, import taxes, etc. YMMV

My cost? CAD$300 the works!  So Happy

Last edited by Barry on Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: https://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)
Barry
Barry
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 8700
Registration date : 2009-05-01

https://legend.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

NGD, or, Dammit I did it again!! Off on another tangerine. Empty Re: NGD, or, Dammit I did it again!! Off on another tangerine.

Post by gittarasaurus Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:06 pm

Delicious
what a score! that is a sweet package right there

i sure do love the sound of those lipstick pups!

and it looks like a Dan-Echo pedal too! i have one of those that i use all the time, does a great slap-back kinda sound.
nice sounding pedal, if a little noisey. and a battery hog too, you will want a power supply.

surf's up!
Yay! Yay! Yay!
gittarasaurus
gittarasaurus
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 1499
Registration date : 2011-05-25

Back to top Go down

NGD, or, Dammit I did it again!! Off on another tangerine. Empty Re: NGD, or, Dammit I did it again!! Off on another tangerine.

Post by Meadows Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:07 pm

That looks like a very smart little "Ready to go" set-up, great find, nice one Barry Smile
Meadows
Meadows
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2013-01-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:30 pm

Very nice indeedy Barry.

Correct headstock, knobs and bridge.
Those early Koreans are very good copies. Correct!!

Great score... Smile
NGD, or, Dammit I did it again!! Off on another tangerine. SANY2287_zpshm3waf4w
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 5917
Registration date : 2008-12-28

http://www.chruler.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by mortarman120gang11c Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:04 pm

Very nice and worth the price of being in the dog house for awhile.  You need to bribe the delivery persons better so they deliver while only you are there lol. Congrats on a nice one.
mortarman120gang11c
mortarman120gang11c
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 740
Registration date : 2011-04-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:22 pm

Thanks fellers. Nice to know I'm not completely alone in my love for these weird guitars! Razz

Barry
Barry

Back to top Go down

Post by The Chad Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:30 pm

cheers   Nice score on some crazy gear!  Love it!  And the purple stand goes so well with it.
The Chad
The Chad
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 2772
Registration date : 2011-02-01

Back to top Go down

NGD, or, Dammit I did it again!! Off on another tangerine. Empty Some pix

Post by Barry Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:16 pm

It is sunny and a lovely winter's day today, so I thought I'd nip outside to grab a couple of pix before it all goes sideways again tomorrow (back into the deep freeze!)

Bright sunshine on snow ain't the best lighting to capture subtleties, especially the headstock logo which is actually pale yellow on blue. I dumped most of the pix because of glare, reflection, and shadows. But here are a few which made the cut:
NGD, or, Dammit I did it again!! Off on another tangerine. HPIM2269_zpsx3wk4l5s
NGD, or, Dammit I did it again!! Off on another tangerine. HPIM2273_zpsja1frpdy
NGD, or, Dammit I did it again!! Off on another tangerine. HPIM2276_zps5ig0cfgd
NGD, or, Dammit I did it again!! Off on another tangerine. HPIM2279_zpsb7lgnqyc
NGD, or, Dammit I did it again!! Off on another tangerine. HPIM2280_zps82ezy5rr

The colour is "Blue Suede", very cool. I strung her with Ernie Ball pure nickel 10's and she plays like a dream. Real chimy if you want, or bluesy if you want. Sounds really good through the little Nifty Fifty amp which came with it, BUT...it sounds outstanding through my old '65 Danelectro DM25 tube amp which I had just coincidentally re-furbished last week! What a Face

Move over Pharell Williams...I'm happy! So Happy

Barry
Barry

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down