The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Spectrum FX for sale

+6
Barry
Sgt. Vimes
The Don
Catalyst
Westbone
brimy
10 posters

Go down

For Sale Spectrum FX for sale

Post by brimy Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:08 pm

A real beauty. Extremely well looked after. Kicks like a mule or warm as toast. Does it all. Beautiful example of this '86 model.
May be willing to take Thunder 1A or spectrum ST guitar as part payment.
£375
Hertforshire UK.
brimy
brimy
Registered Member

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2014-04-02

Back to top Go down

For Sale Re: Spectrum FX for sale

Post by Westbone Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:22 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong but weren't you looking for an FX just the other day?

I've an ST going.

Any photos of the FX? Seems a bit pricey though. Never seen one go for anything like that... Evil or Very Mad
Does it have a trem arm?
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 5917
Registration date : 2008-12-28

http://www.chruler.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by brimy Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:34 pm

Hi yes  still looking for a ST. Black one. 
I bow to your experience on price but ive seen them going for near 1000 dollors in the USA. 
Thats if you can find one. I know i couldnt find any super strat shape guitar for anything like 375
that would be within a 1000 miles of how good the FX is. proper wood, proper craftsmanship and finishing, prop pickups.  so thats the rub. 
Anyway thats what it will take to let it go as i really want a Thunder 1A. The st is to replace 
the FX for a guitar with the sameish feel and i like the pickups. 
re picture, i did post one??? but it did'nt show. do you have email or a way i can post them on here?
brimy
brimy
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by brimy Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:38 pm

its a replacement trem arm that was recommended from this site.  you can keep your westone one if that bothers you as this black one i have is perfect.
brimy
brimy
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:53 pm

How much you wanna pay for a black ST?
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:58 pm

http://forum.westoneguitars.net/t5021-spectrum-fx-wanted
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by brimy Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:06 pm

yeah read that. whats your point?
brimy
brimy
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Catalyst Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:07 pm

scratch
Catalyst
Catalyst
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 319
Registration date : 2013-02-24

Back to top Go down

Post by brimy Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:13 pm

guys, theres no conspiracy here. i will always be on the look out for another fx  same as most people on here. Im a confirmed westone fan. Had my GT bass from new and still use it. it started there.

Thats my response to your thread. 

OK well im on here because i love Westones and im selling a nice one that someone may want. A really nice one. Thats it. 
brimy
brimy
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:56 pm

Stick it on E bay. There's also a load of ST's on there.

That's way to rich a price for the likes of me for an FX.

Can't understand why your selling such a nice one as you describe and still want another.

Anyway good luck and a photo or two wouldn't go amiss.
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by brimy Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:53 am

With respect my reasons for selling a guitar and wanting another are mine. I find your comments slightly rude. Forgive me but I believe these type of forums exist to be a friendly place to discuss related topics. Not to receive slightly tainted comments based on some sort of conspiracy as your thread intimates. I consider that a tad rude. And I think I'm right in saying that one of the conditions of posting is " don't be rude" it is no wonder I have never joined a forum before. Trawling a site to monitor every post and making sarcastic comments does not serve this community well.
Banter is cool. But there is a line I think. Questioning my reasons for buying and selling a guitar on a public forum crosses that line and will I think deter people from joining.
You owe me an apology. I hope the administrator of this site views this thread. I love Westones. I hope to own many, use them, enjoy them and pass them on to try others models and versions. Hang on to the odd one. After all People do sell guitars that are really good or we would all be playing rubbish. Kind of obvious isn't it.
brimy
brimy
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:59 am

My, a trifle touchy eh! Not pc enough for ya!... Laughing 

Like I mentioned. Way too rich for me good luck.

Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by The Don Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:10 am

For the record, I recently bought a Spectrum FX in good but slightly worn condition for £120 (and it could have been a bit less if I hadn't unwittingly got into a bidding war with another forum member) and have since invested a little time, effort and spare parts from the rest of the Spectrum fleet turning it into my regular gigging guitar.  I've also bought two Spectrum GTs in the last year for a little more (the Blueburst one) and significantly less (the Silverstone one) than £120 so you might want to consider that model if you want FX tones (though with a less good tremolo - not a problem for me I don't use, or know how to use, a tremolo).

Of course you're entitled to ask for as much as you want for your guitar but £375 would be too rich for my blood. I suppose that if it is in absolute pristine condition then it could go for that but my guitars live a hard life and unfortunately a case queen would soon lose her cherry in my hands Very Happy.

I've seen exactly one FX up for $1000 in the U.S. but IIRC the advert was based on a photo pinched from a forum member and it didn't end up selling. If you are serious about selling then eBay or maybe PRELOVED is probably the way to go. If you take the best pictures you can and are scrupulously honest about the condition of the guitar then this will enhance your chances for a sale at the desired price. If you've got the original case and/or bill of sale (I have both for my 1984 Yamaha SF1200 owned from new) then so much the better.
The Don
The Don

Number of posts : 284
Registration date : 2013-03-09

Back to top Go down

Post by brimy Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:36 am

Thanks for the reply. Appreciated. I have owned many many guitars over the years and recorded hundreds. My experience is that price is rarely a factor. 5k special edition models have sounded terrible yet I work with a number of top sessions guys that use as first choice from their armoury what might be considered a £150 plank. Some just seem to glow whatever the price. This FX is one of those. Im not really a wangy guy either and for my unorthodox type style the left hand is compromised somewhat with the trem. And i only use it for recording. its a great recording guitar with balanced tones. That is down to wood, grain, pick up winding, luck, its defo not a monday morning guitar. Same with J200's. There are very few good recording ones, even less great recording ones.
The price is negotiable obviously. 
i recently did the rounds of dean street. tried everything. stupid price vintage stuff.  the best guitar i held all day was a Thunder 1. Miles and Miles above anything. You could see it before you picked it up. Just happened to be a westone. but it was extremely obvious. That is the type of guitar i look for. Not an ibanez £1000 quider for a bargain £300 off ebay. it might be an Avon sg{doubtful } or something.
A great guitar is rare. Price rarely comes into it. so i think an ST and a Thunder 1A will suit my needs better, if i can find good ones.
brimy
brimy
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt. Vimes Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:29 am

I've got a really nice thunder 1 in natural light ash finish that I would be happy to trade for a mint fx
Also a white st, same trade conditions
Sgt. Vimes
Sgt. Vimes
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 3322
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by brimy Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:45 am

Hi, is it a 1A ?
i would want both for a trade.
brimy
brimy
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt. Vimes Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:02 am

BOTH!!! You're a funny guy.
It's a T1,
why both?
Sgt. Vimes
Sgt. Vimes
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by brimy Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:24 am

why both, well i wouldnt swap an fx for an ST would I. That is funny. Or a T1.
ST going for 75-125  T1 going for 125-150  easy equation seeing as i want 375 for my fx.
I dont mind compromising on my price for easy trade  but seriously an FX for an ST.
brimy
brimy
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:45 am

This FX, what does it look like, which colour?

It's not the crappy looking ones with the black stripe down the middle?
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt. Vimes Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:25 pm

brimy wrote:why both, well i wouldnt swap an fx for an ST would I. That is funny. Or a T1.
ST going for 75-125  T1 going for 125-150  easy equation seeing as i want 375 for my fx.
I dont mind compromising on my price for easy trade  but seriously an FX for an ST.
Oh right, so money IS a factor?  thought so.
T1 going for £125 - 150 yes, FX going for 375?....no......£125 - 150?  yep.

good luck
Sgt. Vimes
Sgt. Vimes
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt. Vimes Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:28 pm

Westbone wrote:This FX, what does it look like, which colour?

It's not the crappy looking ones with the black stripe down the middle?

Who can tell? the picture is terrible, couldnt sell a £10 note for £1 with a pic like that.

please allow me to use your (presumed) link brimy

CLICK ME
Sgt. Vimes
Sgt. Vimes
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by brimy Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:35 pm

wow, what a odd bunch of people on here. Think i will leave it too you gents.
brimy
brimy
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:03 pm

Sorry you're felling set upon brimy.
Reading the thread again, the point of friction appears to be a disagreement as to what your FX is worth. As we say on the front page of our web site, ultimately your guitar will be whatever someone is willing to pay for it.

We don't profess to be guitar merchants here, but we are devoted collectors and players, with a sprinkling of technicians, builders and luthiers. Collectively there is much experience and wisdom here, should you choose to partake of it. Up until now your visit here has been a positive interaction and it would be nice to have you as a regular.

But hey, you need to listen to folks when they talk about the value of these models. They're seldom off. If you have a firm idea of what you want for your property, fair enough. The sad truth is, despite recent increasing awareness and interest in the Westone brand most of their models do not command pricing on the same level as the major brands, no matter how hard you might stamp your feet in protest. The Spectrums fall into that category.

That said, if you're serious about selling a Westone, especially here, and especially at your asking price, potential buyers deserve to see decent pictures of the item eh? Sorry, but that one tiny picture of your FX does not make the grade.

MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: https://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)
Barry
Barry
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 8703
Registration date : 2009-05-01

https://legend.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:30 pm

brimy wrote:wow, what a odd bunch of people on here. Think i will leave it too you gents.

Of course your right and everyone else is wrong... Laughing 
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by hoax Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:33 pm

Brimy can ask what he likes for his guitar. It is only his business and that of a genuine prospective buyer.

I really do not think that negotiations should take place within the public forum. If the PM system had been used here then this matter would not have escalated.

This is another example of friction being caused by people commenting on someone's for sale item and it could be perceived as a bit of grandstanding.

If you don't like the item or the price, don't buy it or alternatively contact the seller privately.

Hoax Very Happy
hoax
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 1104
Registration date : 2009-09-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:05 pm

Well the PM messaging wasn't used was it.

Commenting on a guitar and/ or it's price is fair game mate.
That's what forums are about, aren't they... Smile 
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:03 pm

If you post a "For Sale" item in the public forum and add the For Sale icon, then you need to be prepared for reactions from the public (us).

At minimum, detailed pictures are mandatory. To not show why you're asking so much is to invite scorn and disbelief.

Barry
Barry

Back to top Go down

Post by hoax Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:37 pm

I am sorry Barry, but I just cannot agree with what you say. If I post something for sale, whether it be Ebay, Gumtree or any other internet platform, then I am looking to sell it, nothing else.

The clue should be the title of the sub forum i.e. "For Sale" not "Have a Good Old Laugh and Criticise my Item"

Hoax
hoax
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:00 pm

But that happens regularly here Graham. Lots of comments on the eBay, et al, postings, particularly the perceived value of the item.

Just look at that deranged bugger on eBay who insists on "improving" the Westies by inserting a lipstick pickup into every nook and cranny.
And I'd still stand by the comment about proper pictorial representation of the item.

Barry
Barry

Back to top Go down

Post by gittarasaurus Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:47 pm

Snackin 
playing whatsoncraigslisttoday, we find...

spectrum FX on Scranton PA craigslist 

they are asking for $265, or about £159 
pictures too...
gittarasaurus
gittarasaurus
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 1501
Registration date : 2011-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:47 pm

I think it's unfortunate that the new bloke got savaged as he did; there seemed little call for that when a simple "Thats too expensive" would have sufficed.

I agree that one small pic isn't ideal when the asking price is so high, but also that the setting of a sale price is between buyer and seller, regardless of asking price.
corsair

Number of posts : 6322
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by hoax Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:22 pm

OK

The "deranged bugger on Ebay" (MD Philips) is a good case in point. He has never posted on here, to my knowledge. He chooses to get a bit "creative" with his own guitars, and he gets flamed and ridiculed for it. 

He then has the audacity to alter a beat up Westone headless, in his own way, and some members work themselves into a frenzy of indignation. It was a mangled 30 year old budget guitar, owned by himself that he chose to cast his magic upon. As far as I know he neither killed anyone nor fiddled with kiddies, so lets just grow up a bit and be a bit more dignified. There are more important things to get worked up about.

If anyone is interested in a guitar posted on these boards and they don't like the pictures then all they have to do is privately request more.

If I attempt to sell something, then it is not up to me to justify the price to all and sundry within an internet forum. That is something that may take place during private negotiations. 

I will repeat that if I don't like something or if I think that it is too expensive, I won't buy it. I certainly won't bitch about here or anywhere else.

This is still a great forum but some people should maybe get out a little bit more.

Hoax Smile
hoax
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:51 am

Well your certainly Bitchin' now... lol! 

You forget a guitar forum is where you discuss guitars be them good or in some folks opinion bad. People talk/discuss. That's how it is!

If no-one posted an opinion on here it would be empty.

However you like to conduct your own business is your endevour but fortunately not everyone is the same.
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by The Don Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:49 am

If I was selling that (on that tiny, tiny, picture nice looking) FX I'd make every effort to describe the guitar fully for both the non-Westone and Westone buyer. For the non-Westone owner I'd give an overview of the guitar and highlight how flexible it is with all the pickup combinations and how powerful it sounds. For Westone owners I'd stress that the original knobs are present and correct and all parts of the bridge and string lock work well (if this is the case).

For all potential buyers I'd describe the guitar's condition as accurately as I could and if there are any exceptional points (either damage or lack of damage to easily damaged parts) I'd describe and photograph them. I wouldn't do this to satisfy the curiosity of a bunch of people on a web forum, I'd do it to maximise the chances of actually selling the guitar for close to what I want for it.

Hoax is of course right, a potential buyer can ask for more pictures or even see the guitar in person, but IMO that Gumtree advert isn't the kind of advert that's going to tempt someone into that.
The Don
The Don

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:20 pm

hoax wrote:... some people should maybe get out a little bit more.
I do get out.
But I often cannot find my way home again.  Crying or Very sad

Barry
Barry

Back to top Go down

Post by The Don Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:00 am

Not wishing to flog a dead horse but the FX appears to still be for sale on Gumtree for every-decreasing amounts:

http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/westone-spectrum-fx-matsumoku-1986-or-trade-for-7-string/1058036642

The latest advert. doesn't even have a photo at all and lacks any kind of a description. If I was advertising a guitar for the neck end of £300 as a minimum I'd tell people what colour and shape it is and what kind of condition it's in. It's an almost willfully bad advert. The full text of the advert. is:

Matsumoku top of the rage spectrum FX 10/10 reviews. Amazing instrument. 
Plays and sounds superb.

Thinking

edited to add......

At least the eBay ad has a couple of (tiny) pictures

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/westone-1986-spectrum-FX-/251511377597?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item3a8f3f0ebd
The Don
The Don

Back to top Go down

Post by punkyjam67 Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:17 am

The Don wrote:At least the eBay ad has a couple of (tiny) pictures

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/westone-1986-spectrum-FX-/251511377597?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item3a8f3f0ebd
Does anyone know if this is a private sale or from a shop? All the photos are definitely taken in a shop (it looks very similar to the layout in our local Cash Converters, if I'm honest, with amps on rack shelving around the walls & guitars on floor stands...). If it IS a shop, that might explain the 'generous' pricing...  Thinking 
punkyjam67
punkyjam67
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 325
Registration date : 2012-10-26

Back to top Go down

Post by The Don Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:45 am

It's confusing. The eBay photographs seem to indicate that it is in a shop of some kind and yet the address indicated in the Gumtree ad is in a residential area. I suppose that there are a number of possible explanations:

- The seller works in the shop but for convenience is selling from home
- There are 2 Spectrum FXs for sale in Hemel Hempstead
- The guitar is for sale in a shop for x, the ads are from private seller who wants to sell for more than x but won't buy until they are sure of a sale

I *feel* that there is something fishy here, otherwise why the crappy ads and vague descriptions.

Meanwhile there's another FX for sale in Llangollen with a buy it now price of £150 and a few decent pictures

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Westone-Spectrum-FX-1980s-Made-in-Japan/310926548484?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222003%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140122125356%26meid%3D6406824351718558317%26pid%3D100005%26prg%3D20140122125356%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D251511377597&rt=nc
The Don
The Don

Back to top Go down

Post by punkyjam67 Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:47 am

I personally think there was something a bit 'off' right from the get-go, when you have an individual selling an FX because they can't get on with it (to quote: "I'm not really a wangy guy either and for my unorthodox type style the left hand is compromised somewhat with the trem"), but at the same time advertising for another FX because they love them so much...

The strange adverts & photos do nothing to reassure me, either...
punkyjam67
punkyjam67
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 325
Registration date : 2012-10-26

Back to top Go down

Post by The Don Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:12 am

My current feeling is that the seller is not the current owner of the Spectrum FX but thinks that they can get hold of it and sell it at a profit.
The Don
The Don

Back to top Go down

Post by The Don Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:04 am

I realise I'm getting a little obsessive about this but I want to see how all this plays out....

Now the Gumtree advert has 4 (small) pictures, a slightly lower albeit IMO still very optimistic price and some factual inaccuracies.

http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/westone-spectrum-fx-matsumoku-1986/1058036642
The Don
The Don

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down