The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Truss rod adjustment

3 posters

Go down

Truss rod adjustment Empty Truss rod adjustment

Post by jimmydime Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:52 pm

Was wondering if anyone knows what size allen wrench is needed to adjust the truss rod on a Spectrum DX?
My guess is 5mm , but I thought I would find out for sure before cutting one down to fit into the little pocket.
Any help is appreciated.
Very Happy Shocked
jimmydime
jimmydime
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2013-10-25

Back to top Go down

Truss rod adjustment Empty Re: Truss rod adjustment

Post by jim Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:09 pm

I figure you'll have to dig in real deep in your pockets to get a set.
That said I don't own a DX. How about a short visit to your local repairman for some advice?
jim
jim

Number of posts : 359
Registration date : 2008-04-25

Back to top Go down

Post by jimmydime Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:11 pm

Got it figured on my own and will pass this along for any other DX owners who are wondering.
The Allen key size for the truss rod is 5mm. I was able to do the adjustment with a 5mm ball end, but didn't like it because the ball end hex keys have a habit of stripping stuff.
Picked up a set of metric Allen keys at the dollar store and cut the 5mm down to 3/4 of an inch and it fits perfect.
Mission accomplished, truss rod adjusted.
jimmydime
jimmydime
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by colt933 Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:20 pm

jimmydime wrote:I was able to do the adjustment with a 5mm ball end, but didn't like it because the ball end hex keys have a habit of stripping stuff.
If you're putting so much torque on that truss rod nut that you're worried about stripping the head - STOP NOW!
colt933
colt933

Number of posts : 583
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by jimmydime Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:12 pm

Thanks for the concern, but no worries. The 5mm ball end does not fit that snug because the truss rod adjustment for the Specturm DX is at the bottom of the neck. There is a little pocket to allow a short hex key to fit for adjustment. I have found it easy to strip hex nuts with the ball end hex keys on lots of things, not just guitars.
Only took slight pressure to break the truss rod free, and now can be adjusted very easily. Who knows when the last time and adjustment was made on this 28 year old git.
The Truss rod was cranked very tight and the neck was perfectly straight. Then the bridge and the saddles where adjusted high in order to keep the strings from buzzing.
I wanted a lower action, so I added a little relief to the neck which allowed me to lower the bridge and the saddles and get a lower action.
Again, thanks for the concern, but no worries.
Very Happy Laughing
jimmydime
jimmydime
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down