The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rabin Spectrum 12 string replica

+15
westcoaster
gittarasaurus
mortarman120gang11c
Sgt. Vimes
jim
TVill25
J.a.c.aranda87
grogg
The Chad
Warrn
midhilis
colt933
Westbone
Barry
corsair
19 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

spectrum - Rabin Spectrum 12 string replica  Empty Rabin Spectrum 12 string replica

Post by Guest Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:35 am

As always, my projects are going to be slow, but I got the body and a neck to mess with. I have a mix of projects and they will all be

slow, but this will be the Rabin replica project thread. Good luck to me
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

spectrum - Rabin Spectrum 12 string replica  Empty Re: Rabin Spectrum 12 string replica

Post by Guest Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:44 am

I got the body, and the neck - let's see if I can make it work
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

spectrum - Rabin Spectrum 12 string replica  Empty Re: Rabin Spectrum 12 string replica

Post by Guest Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:51 am

spectrum - Rabin Spectrum 12 string replica  Start10
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:58 am

So I got the body and the neck for 60 USD

I don't think I can cut the headstock of the neck and make it work as my original idea. I do think that can work, but this neck is more thin at the zero line than my pantera.

So new neck will be built from scratch.

Input jack on the front will be be move to a more practical spot.

Trem cav will be filled

lots more I'm sure,but my goal is to make this like Rabin's 12

If I could only get a good look at the original
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:48 am

Have you asked Arlene to intercede for you? I would... Like a shot!
corsair

Number of posts : 6321
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:56 am

corsair wrote:Have you asked Arlene to intercede for you? I would... Like a shot!
I asked - real humble like...can I borrow the guitar for a year or so? Smile
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:59 am

I do find it interesting that the someone on ebay had been seeling these bodies for like 70-90 bucks each for a year now, and I guess someone is buying them. he started with about 15 of them. I offerred a much lower amount and couldn't get one. then i find this one for 30 bucks (very cool ebay seller). Patience eh, i guess
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:04 pm

That is, indeed, the key!

Back to the headstock, do you know anyone who's really good with imaging software? Given that you have a Spectrum and you have that picture of the neck and headstock, would it not be possible to extrapolate the information and make a very close blueprint?
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:34 am

no one that I am aware of - but sounds like a good idea
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:16 am

corsair wrote:...do you know anyone who's really good with imaging software? Given that you have a Spectrum and you have that picture of the neck and headstock, would it not be possible to extrapolate the information and make a very close blueprint?
That speaks to the cosmetics but I would think the primary concern is gonna be withstanding the string tension of 12 strings on such a slender design.
Here's an example from D'Addario as to what yer up against. Something like 252 pounds of tension (probably an acoustic so more extreme. Still...)

spectrum - Rabin Spectrum 12 string replica  12stringguitartensionDaddario

The truss design's 'nuther thing. Would a 6 string design handle the extra pull?

MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: https://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)
Barry
Barry
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 8700
Registration date : 2009-05-01

https://legend.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:37 am

The idea is to get the neck angle to body/bridge right or somewhere thereabouts. Hence kicking a load of force into the neck pocket.

Even so there's plenty of strain on the neck itself.
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 5917
Registration date : 2008-12-28

http://www.chruler.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by colt933 Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:20 pm

Warmoth makes 12 string necks. You might ask them if their trussrod design or neck profile are different from a standard 6 string neck.
colt933
colt933

Number of posts : 583

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:29 pm

12 string necks are a little beefier than normal for obvious reasons.
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:51 pm

So far the original 6 string neck on the Pantera has held up fine, but for the spectrum I think I'm going to make a neck so that it is wider at the nut to make it a little easier to play. I have seend dual truss rod necks before, so that may be something to look into
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:23 pm

It is a laminate on the Pantera, good news.
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:49 pm

Not sure if there's a market for maple toothpicks Sarc!

Barry
Barry

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:19 pm

This is getting interesting, folks; like it! The neck on the electric 12 I've played that is Matt built has been thin, very like the 6 string version. Eyebulger owns these Vantages; perhaps we could ask him to measure nut width and headstock angle, and to compare VA912 to VA900??

Don......???

Hey, is TRs Spectrum a h/s/h guitar? If so, how cool is that?!
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by midhilis Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:25 pm

sarcaster wrote:So far the original 6 string neck on the Pantera has held up fine, but for the spectrum I think I'm going to make a neck so that it is wider at the nut to make it a little easier to play. I have seend dual truss rod necks before, so that may be something to look into

Depending on what style of music you play, it might pay to make the string spacing at the nut wider - on my Burns Double Six the string pairs are spaced wider so it's easy to play individual strings, normal or octave. If you want a look closer to the Rabin one I have a spare neck off a Clipper Six, same shape as the Thunders.

can't say I've noticed beefier necks on twelve strings, the neck on my Vintage Synergy 12 string and Vintage Giltrap signature model 12 string are what I'd expect for a 6 string, the Burns is no different to a six string model - but the 70s Hokada 12 string acoustic is like a tree trunk.
midhilis
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 97
Registration date : 2012-05-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:43 pm

corsair wrote:This is getting interesting, folks; like it! The neck on the electric 12 I've played that is Matt built has been thin, very like the 6 string version. Eyebulger owns these Vantages...
Yup, interesting 4 sure. But ain't the Vantge necks 3 piece laminates? T'would make a big difference.

Barry
Barry

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:32 am

Yeah, 5 piece actually if you count the stringers between the actual lumps of wood. But the point being that if you're going to make a neck from scratch, then that's what I'd do!!
corsair

Back to top Go down

spectrum - Rabin Spectrum 12 string replica  Empty Sanding it down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:12 pm

spectrum - Rabin Spectrum 12 string replica  Sp210spectrum - Rabin Spectrum 12 string replica  Sp110
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:13 pm

Done with most of the sanding. Left the inner horns for last as they are the big pain.

Next will be moving the jack to the bottom of the guitar and routing the lip around the trem cavity so I can fill it.

Anyone have any scrap maple pieces laying around?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:36 pm

Seek and yee shall find - if anyone needs small maple pieces for odd jobs like I'm doing - it's free - just shipping.

http://www.barclaywoods.com/Wood_Blocks_Free_Scrap.htm
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:39 pm

Ok so it turmed out to be 26 bucks USD for 20lbs. I don;t need that much - but who knows what I may get myself into eh
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:00 pm

sarcaster wrote:Ok so it turmed out to be 26 bucks USD for 20lbs. I don;t need that much - but who knows what I may get myself into eh

Ahahahaha... funny!! Maybe the other lads might need some later on, eh?!

So... what're you gonna do about the neck?! Have you got onto TR or Arlene?? Keep harping at them, man!!
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:05 pm

I think I will take demensions from the neck pocket, and make my own neck - maybe a 3 piece laminate and do my best to copy the headstock. But that is down the road after I get the body done - still lots to do there.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:08 pm

spectrum - Rabin Spectrum 12 string replica  Wood10

So I got my box of hard maple scraps today. This will be awesome for filling the trem cavity on the spectrum. Seems like pretty good quality.

If any one ever needs some small maple pieces, let me know, I will have a ton of it left over
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrn Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:59 am

I still need to fill the trem cavity on the Monstrosity from last year's Electrafest, so I'd be interested in a suitable piece (or two, or however many you think I'd need). Smile
Warrn
Warrn

Number of posts : 1133
Registration date : 2008-08-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:03 am

I think 1 piece for the top and mabye 2 for the spring cavity.

Send me some pics and We'll see what ya need
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by The Chad Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:45 am

You should contact Trevor on this, tell him what you're up to. He may blow you off, but he may also be interested and at least respond, or even help you a little. You never know if you don't try. Some "celebs" are very personable, even the super busy ones. Since it's something unique like this he may respond.
The Chad
The Chad
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 2772
Registration date : 2011-02-01

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:44 pm

The Chad wrote:You should contact Trevor on this, tell him what you're up to. He may blow you off, but he may also be interested and at least respond, or even help you a little. You never know if you don't try. Some "celebs" are very personable, even the super busy ones. Since it's something unique like this he may respond.

This.
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrn Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:08 pm

Hey, you're in/near Orlando, right? I'll be down that way this weekend, no time to jam or have a beer or anything, but if you aren't too far out of the way I might be able to stop in and pick up the maple bits in person? Smile

As for pictures, well, can't say I've got a good camera at the moment. Would have to borrow one.
Warrn
Warrn

Number of posts : 1133
Registration date : 2008-08-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:45 am

Warrn wrote:Hey, you're in/near Orlando, right? I'll be down that way this weekend, no time to jam or have a beer or anything, but if you aren't too far out of the way I might be able to stop in and pick up the maple bits in person? Smile

As for pictures, well, can't say I've got a good camera at the moment. Would have to borrow one.

I'll be in and out all weekend, so shoot me and IM and let me know when you'll be around - I'm about 30-40 min from Orlando (depending on where in Orlando you're coming from)
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:19 pm

spectrum - Rabin Spectrum 12 string replica  R210

spectrum - Rabin Spectrum 12 string replica  R110

Finally got around to sanding down around the horns - not as bad as I thought it would be. So finally all of that ugly red is gone. Also got out a few pieces of the scrap hard maple and glued a few together so I can cut them to shape for the trem cavity

Warrn - I'll get you a few piece off in the mail soon, they should work out pretty good.

I need to route out a bit from the top part of the trem cavity, then cut and shape these to fit once the glue is good and dry.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:08 pm

spectrum - Rabin Spectrum 12 string replica  R310spectrum - Rabin Spectrum 12 string replica  R410spectrum - Rabin Spectrum 12 string replica  R510

That's the before and after for the lip that had to be routed out. The mini router works very well for doing the job. A little sanding to smooth out and let the maple pieces dry overnight and I can start filling in the cavity.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:40 pm

Ok, glue is dried and made some rough cuts to get it to a workable shape.

And also have some wood filler over some dings the body had.

spectrum - Rabin Spectrum 12 string replica  R610
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:41 pm

The belt sander is my friend.

spectrum - Rabin Spectrum 12 string replica  R710
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:45 pm

Made it a little big so I can make small adjustments until it fits perfect.

spectrum - Rabin Spectrum 12 string replica  R811
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:47 pm

And there it is...The spring cavity is ready for glue. spectrum - Rabin Spectrum 12 string replica  R910
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by grogg Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:13 pm

Way to go, love your projects. How do you find using a dremel as a router?
grogg
grogg
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 1094
Registration date : 2008-11-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:18 pm

I have the Dremmel Trio - and that works really good for small routes - the smaller bits make some jobs a lot easier. I wouldn't use it for pickup cavities or anything that needs a bigger bit though.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by J.a.c.aranda87 Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:01 am

Nice to see the progress on this! I was just thinking about this project when I logged in and I was hoping it was coming along nicely. This Rabinite is utterly fascinated. haha
J.a.c.aranda87
J.a.c.aranda87
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 89
Registration date : 2012-05-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:13 am

little by little its getting there. I won't be able to do any more this weekend as I will be traveling, but hopefully the next weekend I will get the rest of the cavity filled.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:34 pm

spectrum - Rabin Spectrum 12 string replica  510spectrum - Rabin Spectrum 12 string replica  610

Ok, all the cavity is filled. The dark line is just glue even though it looks like it dips in. I just sprayed some primer on it and am letting it dry so I can do a quick fine sand over those areas to make sure it comes out really flat.

I also drilled out the new jack location and ordered my bridge. Once I have the bridge posts marked and drilled, then it is time to paint this one.

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:10 pm

spectrum - Rabin Spectrum 12 string replica  1110

Bridge measured, drilled and mounted (temporarily). Final sanding and I can start to paint this one.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:50 pm

Looking for good paint for this one. I can't tell from the Mag pics if this should be white, or a metallic white. I need to do a bit more sanding and then ready for color - I think metallic white is the way to go.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:41 pm

spectrum - Rabin Spectrum 12 string replica  1314892585
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:19 pm

Interesting - got a PM from Mr. Presley and he mentioned there were a couple of the Spectrum 12's built, one of which David Gilmour got via Trevor. I'd love to hear if Gilmour ever used it live or on record.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by TVill25 Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:25 pm

Your wood blocks made me and my filler blocks look like woodworking hacks. Oh wait, I am a woodworking hack. Excellent progress

Being a welder, wood is not my usual medium of creation. Smile
TVill25
TVill25

Number of posts : 294
Registration date : 2011-01-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:19 am

TVill25 wrote:Your wood blocks made me and my filler blocks look like woodworking hacks. Oh wait, I am a woodworking hack. Excellent progress

Being a welder, wood is not my usual medium of creation. Smile

It takes time to get just the right fit, but at the end of the day, it's going to be painted so as long as it is nice and smooth where the new stuff meets the old, then it should all look fine.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next