The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Facing Groin Hernia Surgery Soon. No heavy amps/guitars for a while:-(

+5
corsair
IanO
Iceman
norfolkngood
Sollophonic
9 posters

Go down

Facing Groin Hernia Surgery Soon. No heavy amps/guitars for a while:-( Empty Facing Groin Hernia Surgery Soon. No heavy amps/guitars for a while:-(

Post by Sollophonic Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:56 pm

Had a groin hernia for a while which has recently got worse, saw a surgeon last week who gave me a date in late June for putting me to sleep, opening me up, pushing it all back in, putting in a mesh and sewing me back up.

Anyone else had this recently?

I know recovery will be a month or so, doing me as a day case. Had worse surgery in the past, but doesnt stop me being a little nervous about it though.

Cant live with it like it is though,

Sollophonic
Sollophonic

Number of posts : 199
Registration date : 2010-10-04

Back to top Go down

Facing Groin Hernia Surgery Soon. No heavy amps/guitars for a while:-( Empty Re: Facing Groin Hernia Surgery Soon. No heavy amps/guitars for a while:-(

Post by norfolkngood Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:46 pm

Don't envy you having that done, but guess its gotta be sorted?

Someone I work with had same op, felt better and went back to usual activities soon after (runner +action-prat). Had to go back in for it to be re-done. Listen to the medics, lay up as long as it takes and don't feel guilty. Plenty of time to shift amps later!
norfolkngood

Number of posts : 421
Registration date : 2008-12-08

Back to top Go down

Facing Groin Hernia Surgery Soon. No heavy amps/guitars for a while:-( Empty Re: Facing Groin Hernia Surgery Soon. No heavy amps/guitars for a while:-(

Post by Iceman Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:49 pm

Not personally but have had uncles, a brother-in-law and good friend who has. No surgery should ever be called routine but this one was pretty straightforward in those 4 cases.

Listen to the docs when followup routines and directions are prescribed and follow then to the letter!!

Good luck Sollo. Prayers and good thoughts are winging their way across the pond now. Very Happy
Iceman
Iceman
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 2894
Registration date : 2011-02-22

http://www.glowingtubes.com/p/Kahler_Instructions.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by IanO Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:03 pm

My Dad had it done some years ago and he had no problems, wishing you all the best.
IanO
IanO

Number of posts : 259
Registration date : 2011-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:47 am

You'll be sweet, mate; just listen to the blokes with the stethoscopes when they tell you what to do when recovering... and do it!! Cool Laughing
corsair

Number of posts : 6321
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by The Chad Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:51 pm

A guy at work had this done. Mesh and all. His mesh had to be redone, because the scar tissue grew funny into it causing it to pull and cause pain. Other than that, he was off for weeks and then came back with very light duty. That was over a year ago and he's still fine!
The Chad
The Chad
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 2772
Registration date : 2011-02-01

Back to top Go down

Post by grogg Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:33 pm

I had a double hernia but that was a long time ago, no problems since.
As ops go this is routine, theres no point in worrying/stressing as that does not help!
Look to the positive.
grogg
grogg
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 1094
Registration date : 2008-11-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:37 pm

Yeah, all the best man. Life will be lots more fun after it's all over.

MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: https://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)
Barry
Barry

Number of posts : 8701
Registration date : 2009-05-01

https://legend.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by hendrik Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:06 am

Hej,

all the best. It's nothing to worry about, just follow the doctors orders.
You will be back soon and better rocking as before. Cool

H.
hendrik
hendrik

Number of posts : 195
Registration date : 2008-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Sollophonic Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:11 pm

Thanks for the words of encouragement chaps, I appreciate it, right now this is the most positive forum as regards this, with the exception of a skiing one I sometimes post on, where they were all saying that if it was winter, I'd be out on the slopes in 10 days Shocked

Trouble is with me I have a short memory. a dozen years ago I had major abdominal surgery done, where I stayed in hospital for two weeks at a time. So compared to that this one should be a breeze, as they usually send you home the same day.

But the memory of that pain fades, plus I was hooked up on painkiller drips for over a week. This time they send you home with 5 days supply of tablets.

Right now though I am living for it getting fixed, fed up of wearing stuff to hold it all in place so I can work and get on with life. Plus holding it all in is uncomfortable in other ways.

Sold a heavy amp yesterday, so thats one less thing to lift.

Lets hope its nice weather, then I can recover sitting in the garden drinking beer and being waited on. Plus I have sorted out light guitars to play while Im doing so.

This;-Facing Groin Hernia Surgery Soon. No heavy amps/guitars for a while:-( Danelectrowithflowers

Little Korean Dano U2, nothing to it light as a feather.

And for acoustic duties
Facing Groin Hernia Surgery Soon. No heavy amps/guitars for a while:-( Tworesosoutside-1

The little reso on the left, (the metal bodied one is a no no for a good few weeks!!)

Plus my little Gibby Melody Maker is a light un too

Facing Groin Hernia Surgery Soon. No heavy amps/guitars for a while:-( MelodyMakerOutside1

Plus maybe some of this

Facing Groin Hernia Surgery Soon. No heavy amps/guitars for a while:-( Russianbeer

I,m in good company, with a few premiership footballers having the same surgery done recently. I hope my surgeon takes as good care of me as he would a £60M soccer player
Smile
Sollophonic
Sollophonic

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:53 pm

Nice lineup of guitars (can't comment on the beer).
The Korean Dano reissue is a fun guitar to play.
I love mine and frequently grab it to play outside on the deck...with a beer at my side of course. Wink

Barry
Barry

Back to top Go down

Post by Sollophonic Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:17 pm

Oh, my Dano seems to get daily play at the present,due to its weight and nearby-ness

Love its shorter scale too

I'm a Tele spanker at heart, but recently things like the Dano, the Gibby, my Squier 51s and my Westones havebeen getting a lot more play time.

Ive even been using my little modded Valve Junior more.

Nothing like a hernia for making you reassess your tone Cool Laughing Wink
Sollophonic
Sollophonic

Back to top Go down

Post by hendrik Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:59 pm

The beer, Russian or Ukrainain ?

Na sdrovije --> in literal translation --> for the health cheers

oder auf Deutsch: "Prost".

H.
hendrik
hendrik

Number of posts : 195
Registration date : 2008-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Sollophonic Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:11 pm

Something cheered methe other day.

Friend of my wifes is a farmer. He had his done at the same hospital. Went in late on a Thursday. Sent home later that evening. Recovered over the weekend. By the Monday after he was driving a tractor and herding cattle Shocked

Yorkshire Dales folk eh?

Hope I'm like him,then I can enjoy most of my sick leave Very Happy

Right now I have two gigs to do before I go in.

My gig rig consists of a Melody Maker/Danelectro U2 througha Vox DA5 lined out into the PA.

Post op,I fancy one of those ZT Lunchboxes.

Might get one as a reward
Sollophonic
Sollophonic

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:14 pm

... as you should!!! Very Happy
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by Iceman Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:32 pm

Dusted off my '63 MM today and thought about you right off. No prize or award in getting back to speed sooner rather than later Sollo.....

Be the tortoise... the tortoise is your friend Smile
Iceman
Iceman

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:34 pm

Sollophonic wrote:...My gig rig consists of a Melody Maker/Danelectro U2 througha Vox DA5 lined out into the PA...
Aren't those DA5's just the most versatile little amps? I've actually used mine live "as is", but I've only messed about in my music room patching it into my Roland cube 100. It was damned impressive as a preamp/signal processor!

Barry
Barry

Back to top Go down

Post by Sollophonic Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:09 am

Barry wrote:
Sollophonic wrote:...My gig rig consists of a Melody Maker/Danelectro U2 througha Vox DA5 lined out into the PA...
Aren't those DA5's just the most versatile little amps? I've actually used mine live "as is", but I've only messed about in my music room patching it into my Roland cube 100. It was damned impressive as a preamp/signal processor!

Oh yes, its a great little amp.

I travelled light to a rehearsal last night. Melody Maker/Westone Concord + Vox DA5.

I play in a 9 piece band with 4 horns. Trombone player questioned whether this little amp was loud enough, but then was amazed that it cut through and sounded good. Plus I could add a bit of delay on some songs and a bit more crunch for Gimme Some Lovin' Smile

I plan to gig with it Friday, it might not even need lining out. My days of using big heavy amps are OVER!!!

Back to the topic, I went for my per-op yesterday, and it reassured me somewhat. Not only did I have a longish chat with the Ward Sister, but also the surgeon gave me a brief chat too.

I said it was a shame they couldnt do me keyhole, and he said that with the modern op, the cuts they make in the open op, are now not that much bigger than the combined cuts they make for the keyhole job. Plus the keyhole op, goes fully through muscle, whereas the open op only goes through the top layer. Plus the keyhole op has other risks of organ damage, plus a risk that they sometimes have to abandon the keyhole op and do it open anyway.

The Sister assured me that they would give me 5 days supply of strong painkillers, and she bet me that I would use only half of them.

I hope shes right Shocked

Mind you the operation ward is up a flight of stairs and a loooooong walk from the car park, might need those pain med for the journey back home. Hope theres an elevator, and a way to get the car nearer when my wife picks me up. And I have to walk from day 1. 10 minutes every waking hour initially, then more.

Also how things have changed as far as anaesthetics are concerned. In the past I had to starve for 24 hours, and not drink anything for 12 hours before. Now I am in a 12 noon, I can eat big meals till midnight before, allowed a small breakfast at 7.30am (and they suggest I eat this) and black coffee, tea or clear fluids (beer doesnt qualify) till 11 am.

In the past it was starvation and bed-rest. Now its eat drink and mobilise!!!

Sollophonic
Sollophonic

Back to top Go down

Post by Sollophonic Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:51 am

Where has that time gone???

I'm in in just over a day.

Soon know whether it will be "OOOOOWWWWWWWWWWW" or "Was that it?"

Wish me luck guys

Sollophonic
Sollophonic

Back to top Go down

Post by Iceman Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:14 pm

Good luck, Sollo! Don't forget to pack that MM. Very Happy
Iceman
Iceman

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:39 pm

You'll be right, mate.... Very Happy
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down