The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Storing your Westone

+4
colt933
corsair
Barry
hobster
8 posters

Go down

Storing your Westone Empty Storing your Westone

Post by hobster Sun May 01, 2011 9:05 pm

So i decided to leave one of my guitars at my parents house on the other side of the country, thus there is always one to play when i visit. Besides, its alot cheaper to mail one then send it on a plane these days! I've heard several opinions on this, but how would you guys store it? With strings tightened to regular tuning, or loosen them a little, or loosen them alot. It's an acoustic, but i'm also curious about electrics. Thanks!
hobster
hobster

Number of posts : 691
Registration date : 2009-08-16

Back to top Go down

Storing your Westone Empty Re: Storing your Westone

Post by Barry Sun May 01, 2011 9:41 pm

I suppose there are different schools of thought on the subject, but speaking for myself, I don't think I have ever loosened the tension on any of my guitars while "stored" i.e., not being played.

Assuming you're keeping it in a good quality case for protection I don't see a problem unless the area it's being stored in is subject to wild swings in humidity. That might give me cause for concern for an acoustic.

I think the reasoning is simply that the string tension offsets the truss rod setting (or vice versa) and if you slack off the strings without compensating the neck you're "axing" for trouble.

MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: https://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)
Barry
Barry
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 8702
Registration date : 2009-05-01

https://legend.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Mon May 02, 2011 3:28 am

If you've got a flight case for it then either way of shipping the thing should be safe; if not, then get one!! Even then there's no guarantee that the instrument will get to it's destination undamaged; there are all sorts of horror stories out there about damage being caused to instruments in transit...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YGc4zOqozo

I'm a believer in leaving the string tension at about concert pitch; as Barry says it counteracts the pressure of the truss rod, and after all, they're built to be at tension 100% of the time anyway!! Given the caveat about swings in humidity, I'd leave mine at tension... in fact, that's exactly what I have done with all of the instruments I left behind in NZ!! Very Happy
corsair

Number of posts : 6322
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by colt933 Mon May 02, 2011 10:45 am

I think various flat top and arch top acoustic guitars benefit from being stored with zero string tension. But I don't think the same applies for solid body electrics.
colt933
colt933

Number of posts : 583

Back to top Go down

Post by fish Mon May 02, 2011 11:14 am

Engineering logic says, keep them in tune when stored :idea:......

With the law of equal & opposite forces, if your were to loose off the strings you'd need to loose off the truss rod too,
that would be as daft as only slackening the string Twisted Evil

Number of posts : 277
Registration date : 2010-12-16

http://www.fisherrestoration.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Mon May 02, 2011 12:23 pm

colt933 wrote:I think various flat top and arch top acoustic guitars benefit from being stored with zero string tension

Because...??? Tension of the strings on the glued on bridge? And/or on the wooden soundboard?
corsair

Number of posts : 6322

Back to top Go down

Post by colt933 Mon May 02, 2011 12:56 pm

corsair wrote:
colt933 wrote:I think various flat top and arch top acoustic guitars benefit from being stored with zero string tension

Because...??? Tension of the strings on the glued on bridge? And/or on the wooden soundboard?

I think it's because of the internal bracing.
colt933
colt933

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone Mon May 02, 2011 2:05 pm

On acoustics I've always slackened the strings off a notch or 2, not completely and left them in S.A. for over 30 odd years. Been back and forth over that time and never had a problem.
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 5917
Registration date : 2008-12-28

http://www.chruler.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by hobster Mon May 02, 2011 3:03 pm

Thanks for the opinions guys, i've always felt electrics should be kept in tune for truss rod tension also. However, i've always loosened the acoustics a bit like Colt said, i've had a few belly up behind the bridge and it seems like the right way to go.
hobster
hobster

Number of posts : 691
Registration date : 2009-08-16

Back to top Go down

Post by The Chad Tue May 03, 2011 8:40 am

My Dynasty was stored since 1984 in a closet at tension, and it's absolutely fine today all these years later.
The Chad
The Chad
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 2772
Registration date : 2011-02-01

Back to top Go down

Storing your Westone Empty Phew!

Post by chaypup Wed May 04, 2011 3:33 pm

I was readiung this thread and thinking "yeah that makes sense, store it strung for the tension" When I remembered the Thunder I upstairs in a case.......with no strings on it for the last 3 weeks!

Cue one run up the stairs to string it (dunno why I thought running would make a difference! Very Happy )!

All better now... Cool
chaypup
chaypup

Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2010-10-20

Back to top Go down

Post by colt933 Wed May 04, 2011 4:30 pm

chaypup wrote:
Cue one run up the stairs to string it (dunno why I thought running would make a difference! Very Happy )!

Run, Forrest!
colt933
colt933

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down