The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mid/Shape tone control for Genesis II...

3 posters

Go down

Mid/Shape tone control for Genesis II... Empty Mid/Shape tone control for Genesis II...

Post by mrscary3721 Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:31 pm

I am looking for a Mid/Shape control pot' and/or a Master tone pot' for my 1987 Westone Genesis II guitar. Both pots have coils on the sides. I also need a cross reference for the #TK233J cap shown connected to the master tone pot as I have had no luck finding one or any related info.
Here's the wiring schematic link... http://www.westone.info/wiring/genesis2/index.html
Thanks for your time...

mrscary3721

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2010-12-12

Back to top Go down

Mid/Shape tone control for Genesis II... Empty Re: Mid/Shape tone control for Genesis II...

Post by Steve777 Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:22 pm

Hi and Welcome,

Actually, its my wiring diagram you're looking at. There are a few of us with G2's so advice maybe forthcoming from else where. Firstly, have you inherited a guitar with the wiring removed or are these pots just faulty? Secondly, for all the effort made to keep my G2 original, I'm not convinced that the pots with inductors add any real value.

If they do, I cant hear it. I not sure where you will find the original pots as they were peculiar to only a few Westones. If I were in your position, I would use a standard wiring schematic and play around with cap values, Are the Pups original? Any pics available for us to gawp at?
Steve777
Steve777

Number of posts : 356
Registration date : 2008-10-14

Back to top Go down

Mid/Shape tone control for Genesis II... Empty Re: Mid/Shape tone control for Genesis II...

Post by mrscary3721 Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:52 pm

I got the G2 guitar and bass from someone who owed me money around 1990. I'm actually a drummer but all the guitarists in my different bands loved to play that Genesis. One gtr player used to do a lot of tech work on the side and asked if he could do a few mods. Long story short, different electronics and pickups. And since its now 2011, 21 years of wear & tear too. I decided to strip it to re-paint which came out nice. Very close to the original Burgundy pearl (I'll post pics...). But yes, you knew exactly how I was thinking. Leaning toward selling them when back together but was worried about missing the mid/shift pot, etc. lowering the value. The other half of me didn't think it would make a lot of difference. Being that I've already downloaded a few different wiring configurations I'm gonna follow your advice and toy with a couple of different setups. And add some shielding, too. Thank you very much Steve777 for your time and expertise. Being that the waiting is no longer necessary, Im gonna get on it right now. I'll take some pics along the way and post at least a few within the next couple of hours. Thanx again Steve777.
mrscary3721

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2010-12-12

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:59 am

Yep; I'm with Steve - those weird wee coils offer dubious benefits and if I was to re-wire it, I'd go for a standard wiring scheme and standard hardware. It will affect value to a collector but possibly not to a player when you decide to sell it on.

Lovely gtr to play, though!!
corsair

Number of posts : 6322
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve777 Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:25 am

To be honest, in its standard clothes, the G2 is a lovely guitar to play and hold. But for me, its all about the oiled neck and body shape, and not about the pups and wiring. Whilst good as it is, I'm sure with the right pups and wiring, it could e improved upon no end. That oiled neck is something else.

Actually, my G2 came to me in bits and without the original HB so I put something a bit hotter in there. Knowing what I do know about G2's, if you change the wiring and pups for something decent, it wouldn't stop me buying it if the opportunity arose.

Is the trem and string lock complete and OK?

As most G2's went to States, I'm assuming you are there.

All the best, Steve
Steve777
Steve777

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve777 Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:27 am

One other thing Mrscary, I would replace the standard volume with a pull/push type and coil tap the the HB. Just a thought whilst you are at this point.

All the best
Steve777
Steve777

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down