The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Westone Spectrum IA years. :?:

4 posters

Go down

spectrum - Westone Spectrum IA years.  :?: Empty Westone Spectrum IA years. :?:

Post by mr mikey Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:45 am

Hi, I've read up on the westones alot on that .info website, and I'm confused. It shows the Spectrum IA as being a 1 year guitar and being made just in Korea, but the 2 models my uncle has are 88 and 89 according to serial and he says are both Matsumoko created. I believe him because almost all his guitars he's owned since new; just wondering if anyone knows if that site is 100% correct, or if the info is not complete. Also, does anyone know the value range of the crackle finish spectrum IA between high-avg and low-exc condition? I'll need to know for insurance company.

Thank You, I appreciate all the knowledge on here.

Ps. I did do a search before posting and when I searched "spectrum IA" and "spectrum 1A", it didn't come up with any matches for that particular sub-model.
mr mikey
Registered Member

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2010-11-22

Back to top Go down

spectrum - Westone Spectrum IA years.  :?: Empty Re: Westone Spectrum IA years. :?:

Post by Westbone Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:22 am

http://www.westone.info/spectrum1a.html
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 5917
Registration date : 2008-12-28

http://www.chruler.com/

Back to top Go down

spectrum - Westone Spectrum IA years.  :?: Empty Re: Westone Spectrum IA years. :?:

Post by corsair Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:24 am

Anything made with the Westone name made in 88 and 89 is Korean built as Matsumoku closed the factory gates in 1987. The info at the .info site is, to the best of my knowledge, 100% accurate and as for value, well, it's creeping up but I'd be loathe to put a figure on it, eh as somethings only worth what someone else is prepared to pay for it!! You could check the expired listings at eBay and perhaps Craigslist to get a baseline number??
corsair

Number of posts : 6321
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrn Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:27 am

Well, an 88 and 89 wouldn't be Matsumoku guitars since the factory closed in 1987, but it is possible that they were built using leftover parts from Matsumoku. As for the model being available for one year or two, I'm not sure, but the westone.info page is generally correct. I'm not sure if it's perfect, but Thorn has worked hard to make it as accurate as possible. As for value, that varies, I would check recent eBay listings and see if any have been sold recently and what they went for.
Warrn
Warrn

Number of posts : 1133
Registration date : 2008-08-03

Back to top Go down

Post by mr mikey Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:55 pm

Thank you guys for your responses. I wasn't trying to make Thorn's website out to be false info, I figured it was the public that had provided the info, kindof like the wikipedia. I'm heading up to Indiana for thanksgiving and will get them from him then, and if Thorn wants, I can forward the serial of the '88-model to him so he can adjust the model years listed accordingly. He's only got 1989 listed, but I just noticed the years tab says (Approximate) underneath it.

Thorn, if you need, I can forward serials with make/model/sub-model of other Westones I see locally to my uncle's area. The westone guitars are still rather easy to find around there, I think 3 of the pawn shops even have one in stock.
mr mikey
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:05 pm

mr mikey wrote: The westone guitars are still rather easy to find around there, I think 3 of the pawn shops even have one in stock.

What a Face If you have the time and inclination, yes, please - have a look about for us!! Whereabouts are you??
corsair

Number of posts : 6321
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by mr mikey Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:49 pm

I am personally in the Central Mississippi area, but my uncle is in the southern indiana area. The towns within an hour from him are: Grandview, Rockport, Dale, Tell City, Evansville, Owensboro(KY), etc. The town that I have a feeling will prolly have the biggest selection will be New Harmony, IN....it's one of those old colonial-styled towns, so there are antique/nick-nack stores galore!!!

The only thing relative to these guitars I found on ebay, was a 1990 Spectrum that sold for $120.50. It's also in very awesome shape, which makes me feel screwed about buying these 2 from my uncle. Though I've already told him I'd get them, so I won't go back on that. I just hope the values increase enough before I die that I can eventually feel like I got a good deal scratch

I'd hate to leave them in a burning vehicle to collect insurance....jkjk lol!
mr mikey
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrn Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:05 pm

The fancy finishes like the crackle or snakeskin tend to go for more, the snakeskin ones especially.
Warrn
Warrn

Back to top Go down

Post by mr mikey Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:02 am

I've yet to even SEE a snakeskin model....now I got something specific to look for. Are there any specific models I should look for? I can take pics on fone and edit price into name to keep me from getting confused lol. Model/serial numbers may be best....if I had a range of serial numbers also, that would prolly be best.
mr mikey
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrn Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:10 am

We'd be happy to see ANY Westone! Just document the ones you see, if something is amiss then someone will notice.

As for the snakeskin: http://www.westone.info/python.html
Warrn
Warrn

Back to top Go down

Post by mr mikey Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:19 pm

Oh, that name fits well....fits better than the "crackle" aka "i accidentally painted it white, so i'ma throw a quick layer of blue on then superheat it so the paint shrinks too fast then throw some gloss on it and....oh hey, it SELLS!!!" Laughing

QUESTION: Is there a clean(censored) way of explaining the feeling you get when you look at that crackle red/blue finish of that guitar on that page? Hmmm, I needa shirt that says "will trade girlfriend for red/blue crackle finished GT". Razz

That is really an amazing looking guitar........just wow What a Face
mr mikey
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down