The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Westone Thunder ll Left Handed Bass

4 posters

Go down

Westone Thunder ll Left Handed Bass Empty Westone Thunder ll Left Handed Bass

Post by mattcadders Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:01 pm

Hi all,

I hope I can tap in to your collective knowledge and experience to help me out.

I own a Savannah Yellow Thunder ll, Left Handed Bass. I'm a beginner really, started out 15 years ago and the bass has been gathering dust since my little ones arrived, some 9 years ago.

I'm looking to get back into playing. Here's the conundrum, do I keep the Westone?, is it worth selling to put towards a new one? Is that false economy? Is the Westone the guitar I should stick to?

What is a left handed Westone worth? I'd like the best guitar for my money, but don't want to replace the guitar if it already a great guitar.

Or am I missing the point entirely and should just pick it up and play.

Would appreciate your thoughts!

Regards, Matt
mattcadders
mattcadders
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2008-07-28

Back to top Go down

Westone Thunder ll Left Handed Bass Empty Re: Westone Thunder ll Left Handed Bass

Post by Guest Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:58 pm

Hello Matt and Welcome! Smile

Questions, questions! But that's what we are all here for, to help each other out!
Smile

One answer to all of your questions in a nutshell - Pick the damn thing up and play it!

Perhaps this is a bit of a biased opinion here Matt, but for what it is worth, don't sell your guitar to pay for another one, you don't find many quality instruments like Westones any more. I will say the same to you as I always say, in monetary terms at least, your guitar is only worth what someone else is willing to pay. How much do you value your guitar, not in monetary terms but as a sturdy and reliable instrument?

Yes, you may well get a good price for it if you sell it but what would you get in return as far as quality and craftsmanship is concerned?
The fact that they have withstood the test of time is proof enough as to how good they are.

My advice to you is to dust off those cobwebs, give her a little bit of TLC and I'm sure she will reward you with her sweet music!

Oh, and of course, you must put some mandatory photos up too!
Wink

Pauline
:flower: :queen:
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Westone Thunder ll Left Handed Bass Empty Re: Westone Thunder ll Left Handed Bass

Post by corsair Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:35 pm

Yep; just play it, man - you can start looking about for 'better' kit along the road a bit but I'm picking your Thunder will see you out! They seem to be very highly regarded by those who use 'em; I use a Spectrum GT bass and love it to bits!

Value is always a subjective thing; to get a left hook bass of comparable quality to your Thunder I'm guessing would cost lots; better to keep, and play, what you've got.

Lastly, please post some pix - we love to live vicariously in here... Very Happy
corsair

Number of posts : 6321
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by hummel Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:03 am

Hi,

The buildqualitiy of a Thunder II or III series is equal to Ibanez Musician basses from the same era... and these are anything but cheap. So I agree, pick it up and start playing. Anything new you could buy for let's say 300-400 euro's won't come close to your Westone. You would have to look at highend Ibanez or Spector(europe/korean), maybe Warwick basses. These will set you back 700 to 1000 euro's...

So false economy indeed I would say...
hummel
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2008-06-14

Back to top Go down

Post by mattcadders Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:24 pm

Cheers guys, that helps put things into perspective.

Just need to get it 'serviced' so to speak, it's been a while!

I'm missing the small brass battery housing plate. Where can I get one from? Any ideas?
mattcadders
mattcadders
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:56 pm

mattcadders wrote:I'm missing the small brass battery housing plate. Where can I get one from?

link in the Wanted forum... Very Happy
corsair

Number of posts : 6321

Back to top Go down

Post by mattcadders Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:58 pm

Click me

Here it is, assuming I can get my head round posting the right link.

It should take you to flickr.com who host my photographs, hopefully you'll go straight to the correct page containing 4 photos.

Let me know if it doesn't work.

Cheers
mattcadders
mattcadders
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by colt933 Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:42 pm

That's a 1981 Thunder II, which is really like a later model Thunder III. That is a spectacular bass. You will be hard pressed to find a newer bass of higher quality for under $1000.

Look at where the Aria super basses are selling now ($750-1050). Your Westone is more rare and thus more collectable and I would put it in the $1000+ range.

Last edited by colt933 on Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:10 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Thunder II)
colt933
colt933

Number of posts : 583

Back to top Go down

Post by mattcadders Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:58 pm

Take a look at the pics again, definately says Thunder ll.
mattcadders
mattcadders
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by colt933 Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:09 pm

mattcadders wrote:Take a look at the pics again, definately says Thunder ll.

Yeah, I meant to say Thunder II. My point is that it's a neck-thru like the later Thunder III bass.
colt933
colt933

Number of posts : 583

Back to top Go down

Post by mattcadders Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:48 pm

It's quite difficult when you're clueless as I am to actually know a good bass from a bad one.

I've only ever known the bass I play, so what I play, is what I get, if you get my meaning? It would be interesting to play an off the shelf £80 bass and see how it differs.

Maybe then i'd get a feel for what i've got.

Incidentally, took myself off into the garage today, broke her out of the case and gave the mountain bike a solo performance.

Felt good to be playing again.... rusty?.....made my car look like it was out of the showroom, lol! Soon started coming back, fingers need to go on the rack though!!
mattcadders
mattcadders
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down