The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Westone Thunder £130 UK Ebay

+5
Steve777
bowenjaybee
corsair
umpdv5000
Annoying Twit
9 posters

Go down

Westone Thunder £130 UK Ebay Empty Westone Thunder £130 UK Ebay

Post by Annoying Twit Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:16 am

This is the seller's final price drop and relist, we are told.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WESTONE-THUNDER-1-ELECTRIC-GUITAR-/200505443228?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV

I'm interested just to see if it finishes with 0 bids.
Annoying Twit

Number of posts : 267
Registration date : 2010-03-06

Back to top Go down

Westone Thunder £130 UK Ebay Empty Re: Westone Thunder £130 UK Ebay

Post by umpdv5000 Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:10 am

I do think that giving consideration of how well these guitars are made and what you could end up with for £130 if you bought a run of the mill guitar at that price, this is a really good and fair price. In fact, I think its more than fair for the quality on offer.

Martin.

PS, I do not know the seller Westone Thunder £130 UK Ebay Fresse
umpdv5000
umpdv5000

Number of posts : 240
Registration date : 2010-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:32 am

Bloody hell; for £130... if I hadn't blown all of my GAS tokens on the MX I'd have that!! Westone Thunder £130 UK Ebay Icon_biggrin
corsair

Number of posts : 6329
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by bowenjaybee Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:56 am

It's now down to £125, a bargain it looks really nice... no postage though

I can't understand why people can't be bothered to post guitars, I know from experience you can post a guitar in the UK for around £12 with parcel force even cheaper with DHL.... so if you charge say £17 - £20 you have a few quid to spend on loads of bubble wrap and I think everyone must have has some old cardboard around the house they could use.
bowenjaybee

Number of posts : 560
Registration date : 2010-02-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve777 Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:32 pm

I agree although it does narrow the bidding field down to those who live locally to that item . £12-£15 is reasonable but £20-£30 I tend to avoid. Saying that, I've also noticed that high postage costs tend to attract a smaller number of bidders in general and the end price lower. Not all the time but most.

I would like to think that most punters are well seasoned as to ebay bidding but sadly I often see auction fever take over. Put "projects" into the guitar section and people will bidding happily away on a broken or faulty guitar without thinking of how much it would cost to buy new V's the hassle of repairing it. Aria clear out damaged guitars with broken necks etc etc on ebay but quite often with a bit of searching your can find the same item new and cheaper on the internet or a good second hand one , bought on a whim, listed on ebay.

Amps and Effects pedals described as broken or faulty make me laugh. Most modern electronics or multieffects pedal use integrated circuits with surface mounted components. Trying repair one of these or even tracing the fault ( mainly due to using the wrong power supply) is a nightmare. Two years ago I bought a Boss V wah ( to repair) believing that with a bit of logic I could get it up and running. Ho Ho. ... all surfacr mounted components. It cost £25 to buy , I could buy a new one for £90 and Roland wanted to charge me £80 for a new board . Do the maths !

I now use a Morley Bad Horsie with all discrete components ... easy peasy if it goes down ... and cheap. IMHO, much better than Boss. Silent (optical) and only works when you step on the pedal. Take your foot off and it stops. Brilliant and simple. I also use Beta Aivin effects that go under the GLX, Boston or Harley Benton brand. All Boss clones and strong metal casings. I recently picked their Boss DD6 equivalent for £20 and its faultless with up to 2000ms of delay. Would of liked analogue but hey ... . You should check out GLX and its cousins .

I digress so apologies to all.
Steve777
Steve777

Number of posts : 356
Registration date : 2008-10-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Annoying Twit Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:51 pm

Postage leaves people open to ebay scams. Scammer A buys a dreadful instrument, say a Thunder with utterly shagged frets, non-working electronics, etc. Then, they go and buy an excellent Thunder on ebay. They then raise a "significantly not as described" dispute, and return the dreadful run, keeping the new one. And paypal/ebay refunds them. Not such a risk if sold locally.
Annoying Twit

Back to top Go down

Post by Annoying Twit Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:54 pm

bowenjaybee wrote:It's now down to £125, a bargain it looks really nice... no postage though

The seller is still saying that this is the final price drop and the final listing. Again, we'll see what happens. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WESTONE-THUNDER-1-ELECTRIC-GUITAR-/200507949390?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV
Annoying Twit

Back to top Go down

Post by grogg Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:58 pm

At this price I would buy it if I didnt already have one or am I missing summat?
grogg
grogg
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 1094
Registration date : 2008-11-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Annoying Twit Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:09 pm

I think it's just that there's a good supply. This lefty just went for £72 quid!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Westone-Thunder-1A-/260644434644?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV
Annoying Twit

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:24 am

A. Twit, Buy the bloody thing (Thunder) I'll collect it for you, and post it so at least you'll have a Westone. Might cost ya though. F$%^ sake.

Last edited by Westbone on Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 5918
Registration date : 2008-12-28

http://www.chruler.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:44 pm

I've edited one post and deleted another in here because I think they're getting a little pointed! If it was tongue-in-cheek, I apologise to the poster but they certainly didn't read that way...

I think we're all agreed that AT should get a Thunder forthwith... Westone Thunder £130 UK Ebay Icon_lol
corsair

Number of posts : 6329
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:50 pm

The nanny state of affairs,is it. It's meant to be pointed. That's what discussions are about
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Annoying Twit Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:58 pm

Haha! Don't hold back on my account, I'm finding this hilarious. I've just had to fob my son off when he was asking why I was laughing at the computer.

Only problem is I expect it'll be next month not this month. If only I hadn't, last month, finally gotten around to putting one of my instruments in for a fret dress and setup, having wanted to see how much the instrument would improve. Result: not all that much really. I'd have another whole month's budget then, and would have a shorter long dark teatime of guitar buying as my budget goes negative and then recovers.
Annoying Twit

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:03 pm

To A. Twit, When selling a guitar always picture and record the serial number. That way, a scammer on ebay will not send you the bad one back.
You've obviously hatched a plan.
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:07 pm

Don't fob your son off on account of not owning a Mats guit. Think to the future glass hopper.
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Annoying Twit Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:58 pm

Westbone wrote:Don't fob your son off on account of not owning a Mats guit. Think to the future glass hopper.

He deserves a bit of suspense for drawing extra "dots" on my arpeggios quick reference when I wasn't looking. I don't know how he thought I'd be fooled into thinking that the diminished triad includes the fourth!
Annoying Twit

Back to top Go down

Post by umpdv5000 Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:51 pm

Annoying Twit wrote:He deserves a bit of suspense for drawing extra "dots" on my arpeggios quick reference when I wasn't looking. I don't know how he thought I'd be fooled into thinking that the diminished triad includes the fourth!

Well a diminished may not include a fourth but true diminished is not a triad and does include a fourth note..... Root, minor 3rd, fifth and sixth.
umpdv5000
umpdv5000

Back to top Go down

Post by hoax Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:09 pm

umpdv5000 wrote:
Annoying Twit wrote:He deserves a bit of suspense for drawing extra "dots" on my arpeggios quick reference when I wasn't looking. I don't know how he thought I'd be fooled into thinking that the diminished triad includes the fourth!

Well a diminished may not include a fourth but true diminished is not a triad and does include a fourth note..... Root, minor 3rd, fifth and sixth.

Who cares? All my chords include fingers, my ears and nothing else. You could call one a Mad Jake McPake diminished, inverted , augmented 9 , sus 4 , but it would still be a chord and pleasing to my ears, though not necessarily yours!! You could even call it Charlotte or Gladys.

If I had the technical ability to add a bonkers smiley with this post I would, so I guess you will just have to work out for yourself my demeanour.

Hoax
hoax
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 1104
Registration date : 2009-09-01

Back to top Go down

Post by bowenjaybee Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:36 pm

my favourite chord is e minor but with my little finger on the b string 3rd fret.... I don't have a clue what the chord is called but add bit of chorus or flanger and I'm a happy man, I could play this chord all night

Last edited by bowenjaybee on Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
bowenjaybee

Number of posts : 560
Registration date : 2010-02-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:01 pm

The 3rd fret on the B string is a D so that would make that an Em7
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by hoax Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Yeah

You have discovered "Bessy"

Hoax
hoax
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by umpdv5000 Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:19 pm

It is not essential to call notes or chords by their commonly known names, Bessie, Frank, Deirdre etc will do fine, that is if you are stranded by yourself on a desert island somewhere in the middle of the ocean. The need for standardisation of terminology is so that musicians can interact and communicate their musical ideas or commands in a manner which is understandable to all. That may sound a little techy to the uninitiated, but its all part of learning to play a musical instrument, that is if you want to play with other musicians at some point. Do you want to play with other musicians at some point Hoax, or are you just playing the jester? Westone Thunder £130 UK Ebay Icon_jokercolor

Martin.
umpdv5000
umpdv5000

Back to top Go down

Post by norfolkngood Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:30 pm

Some chords still stick in my memory by reference to the song I was trying to learn or the band who played it.

So I've got a "Beatles chord" and a "Police chord" in my repertoire.

Status Quo taught me 3 chords... so I've got their repertoire.

More seriously, there's no substitute for study when it comes to building up your chords library, even though music theory is a mystery to me.
norfolkngood

Number of posts : 421
Registration date : 2008-12-08

Back to top Go down

Post by hoax Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:09 am

umpdv5000 wrote:It is not essential to call notes or chords by their commonly known names, Bessie, Frank, Deirdre etc will do fine, that is if you are stranded by yourself on a desert island somewhere in the middle of the ocean. The need for standardisation of terminology is so that musicians can interact and communicate their musical ideas or commands in a manner which is understandable to all. That may sound a little techy to the uninitiated, but its all part of learning to play a musical instrument, that is if you want to play with other musicians at some point. Do you want to play with other musicians at some point Hoax, or are you just playing the jester? Westone Thunder £130 UK Ebay Icon_jokercolor

Martin.

I'm pretty much taking the wee but my real point is that I do not know many of the chords I play. I have a general idea from the root note but as I copy the original recording by ear, I can play along so not knowing the exact name of the chord is not a limiting factor. I do of course take your point Martin, but sometimes I cannot control my inherent mischieve.

Graham
hoax
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down