The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

String lock question

Go down

String lock question Empty String lock question

Post by Guest Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:16 am

I have a Pantera 300 with the BD system. The string lock is not complete though.
I see the SPARES site is back up, but I'm not sure what the part I need is called.

The part I need is the angled piece that I actuall screw down to tighten the 1st and 2nd strings. I have the angled piece that locks the 5th and 6th, and the square center piece, but can't lock down the 2 highest strings Sad
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

String lock question Empty Re: String lock question

Post by corsair Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:43 am

You need another little triangular piece.. FTT I think it is on the Spares site.

Bear in mind you also need the little 1mm thick metal shim that sits underneath the string; if you don't have this you'll break strings like billy-o!! They're easy to make... I made mine by getting some of the metal strapping that wool firms use for binding up triple dump wool bales, drilling the holes in the strapping bits - have a good sharp drill bit 'cause that stuff is HARD - , and then cutting the shape with tin snips roughly to the shape, and then setting to with a sharp mill file.
You trace around the lock washer to get the shape of the shim...

I recommend that you get a full set, with bolts, as they do get lost quite easily; I have 3 spare sets just in case, which are unfortunately 12000 miles away!! String lock question Icon_rolleyes

Another innovation - courtesy of Steve777 - is to get a slightly longer - 1 - 1.5mm - bolt for the low E/A string lock as there is not much thread on the OEM bolt gripping the base threads and because the lockbase is either alloy or crapmetal, the steel bolts if overtightened will strip the lockbase holes very quickly indeed, which is a whole other world of hurt!! String lock question Icon_biggrin
corsair

Number of posts : 6330
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:52 am

I was actually also thinking of removing it completely since I don't use the trem much. Thanks for the info
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down