The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fender Mustang

+9
Happyrocker
boutjp97
Barry
bowenjaybee
Administrator
Warrn
kebabage
corsair
steven1024
13 posters

Go down

Fender Mustang Empty Fender Mustang

Post by steven1024 Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:51 pm

Anyone else particularly like this type of guitar??? ive played one and it surpasses my love of any westone Razz (sorry)

Anyone else like any fenders?? Or any other type of guitar....like if your westone broke and you were gigging....and you only had one bag to fit one westone and another to fit something that isnt a westone....what would it be?
steven1024
steven1024
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2010-06-17

Back to top Go down

Fender Mustang Empty Re: Fender Mustang

Post by corsair Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:42 am

A Vantage. Probably an AV310 - simple is better!! Fender Mustang Icon_lol

Sorry man, my indifference for Fender is only surpassed by my disdain for Gibson; I've only played a Jazzmaster, Stratocaster, Telecaster, Coronado and Jagstang and I can say that while I admire the original ethos and design that Leo gave us, time has marched on and bestowed upon us guitars that are better to play and that sound better. Hardly objective, eh, but I also don't want to sound like every other bugger out there!! Fender Mustang Icon_biggrin
corsair

Number of posts : 6321
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by kebabage Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:59 am

I'm currently on the look out for a '65 reissue oly Mustang,
however! My number one guitar is the Jazzmaster! Its got grunt and style
kebabage
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2009-05-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrn Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:32 am

I quite like the short scale Mustang bass, but I wouldn't pick it over anything in my collection. Wouldn't mind having one in rotation though. Fender Mustang Icon_biggrin
Warrn
Warrn

Number of posts : 1133
Registration date : 2008-08-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Administrator Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:25 am

I have a vintage '66 Mustang, it's my favourite guitar.

Fender Mustang Fender-mustang
Administrator

Number of posts : 142

Back to top Go down

Post by bowenjaybee Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:59 am

I do love Mustangs and Jaguars me been an old "indie" kid of the late 80's early 90's.... they definitely looked the part along with a scruffy cardigan and hair in the eyes, but if you really wanna emulate Kurt Cobain go in search of a UNIVOX HI-FLIER, Kurt used one in the early Nirvana days and due to that the prices have gone through the roof.. i believe they were made by Matsumoku the same company who made Westone so you can’t go wrong..........but you probably know all that anyway!

Last edited by bowenjaybee on Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:45 am; edited 1 time in total
bowenjaybee

Number of posts : 560
Registration date : 2010-02-22

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:27 am

Sorry gang - don't get the love for Cobain; talented songwriter for sure but he did smash up over 300 guitars as a wanky stage move in his rather foreshortened career, and I cannot fathom that behaviour at all!! And yes, I do tend to regard Townshend in the same light..

I heard this once which sort of sums him up...

"Anyone who thought he could treat stomach pains with heroin was at some stage going to mistake his head for a flock of geese!!"
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by steven1024 Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:48 am

corsair wrote:Sorry gang - don't get the love for Cobain; talented songwriter for sure but he did smash up over 300 guitars as a wanky stage move in his rather foreshortened career, and I cannot fathom that behaviour at all!! And yes, I do tend to regard Townshend in the same light..

I heard this once which sort of sums him up...

"Anyone who thought he could treat stomach pains with heroin was at some stage going to mistake his head for a flock of geese!!"

Heh, i believe he was an excellent songwriter, he showed the world you dont need flashy guitar playing to make decent songs Razz
steven1024
steven1024
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:12 am

Never owned a Fender, never really wanted to. Evil or Very Mad

But that's not to say that I don't appreciate the unique place of Strat's and Tele's in the evolution of the electric guitar. In their best iterations (and we can argue all day about which years/configurations) and in the hands of a player who understands them, they are remarkable instruments.

But for my money (cheap bugger!) my Concord will deliver any Strat-type sound I need and then some, and my Vintage 'Tele' gives me all the twangy and bluesy sounds I need. Hell, even my Danelectro will overlap a lot of Fender sounds. I do own a '64 Gibson, but I bought it back when they knew how to build them right! But these days I think both Gibson and Fender are a shadow of their former selves and grossly overpriced.

As to the Mustang, never played one; seen a few but never got my grubby fingers around one. They do have an appeal for me though, probably the short scale, similar to my Parker Hornet which is about the same size. Sound wise it would be hard to say what a corresponding Mats might be but I might lean more towards the CONCORD I. Wink

MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: https://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)
Barry
Barry
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 8700
Registration date : 2009-05-01

https://legend.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by steven1024 Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:02 am

Razz heh, so am i the only person who would swap a Westone for a fender?
steven1024
steven1024
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by steven1024 Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:02 am

Admin wrote:I have a vintage '66 Mustang, it's my favourite guitar.

Fender Mustang Fender-mustang

also that guitar is very purty O,o
steven1024
steven1024
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:23 am

steven1024 wrote:Razz heh, so am i the only person who would swap a Westone for a fender?
Um, yer in a Westone site. Rolling Eyes

MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: https://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)
Barry
Barry

Number of posts : 8700
Registration date : 2009-05-01

https://legend.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrn Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:50 am

Barry's right, you might want to find a Concord I, those had the same pickup configuration as the Mustangs. And Fender is definitely a shadow of its former self (Gibson may as well not exist anymore).
Warrn
Warrn

Number of posts : 1133
Registration date : 2008-08-03

Back to top Go down

Post by bowenjaybee Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:52 am

corsair wrote:Sorry gang - don't get the love for Cobain

I'm defo with you on that I can't be doing with all the dead rock star worship s**t and lets face it if he hadn't blown his brains out would I even be discussing it now????? Kurt who? but I gotta admit the Nevermind album is one fantastic sounding album.

Last edited by bowenjaybee on Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
bowenjaybee

Number of posts : 560
Registration date : 2010-02-22

Back to top Go down

Post by boutjp97 Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:56 pm

My favorite non-westone guitar is my Washburn N4 Vintage...mainly because it is the closest thing to a Westone guitar made today in my opinion. I am also pretty fond of my Washburn N61 as it plays like a Concord for sure.
boutjp97
boutjp97

Number of posts : 306
Registration date : 2008-05-16

https://www.facebook.com/jason.bouton

Back to top Go down

Post by Happyrocker Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:34 pm

I had a Strat in the early 1960s and I thought it was brilliant. I then changed to playing bass and bought a 1966 Precision which I still have and play. But as some of you have said they were ‘proper’ Fenders back then.

Laughing
Happyrocker
Registered Member

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2011-02-13

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:45 pm

I was playing a 70's P-bass in my band when I had the chance to use my offsiders Spectrum ST bass whereupon I ditched the P-bass and used the ST from then on because it was so much more comfortable to play!! Laughing

I had a Strat in the early 1960s and I thought it was brilliant. I then changed to playing bass and bought a 1966 Precision which I still have and play. But as some of you have said they were ‘proper’ Fenders back then.

Nothing after CBS was a "proper" Fender!! Laughing Laughing

Last edited by corsair on Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:28 pm; edited 2 times in total
corsair

Back to top Go down

Fender Mustang Empty re: fender mustang

Post by IanO Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:22 pm

I find this really interesting, I for one LOVE my thunder 1, it was my 1st electric that my father bought for me over a pointy headstocked something back in '85/86. Once I could afford it, I bought an Ibanez rg570 in a blueburst over flame maple. This could not have been more different to the westone and although the Wizard neck provided 24 frets and it had a wammy bar (greatly abused) I STILL found that the westie was like coming home. I then bought my strat, my playing had found more of 'a style' that a strat seemed to fit so an american standard deluxe with TBX was mine (although I part x'd my Marshall JCM head n cab - much regrets a great amp) To this day I still find my strat hard work, rewarding, but bloody hard work. however I pick up the Thunder and everything seems to get a whole lot easier! this has led me to wish for a Les Paul (sorry everyone) as I have deduced that maybe the shorter scale length is why my westone is so easy to play. I will probably never get a LP for 3 reaons !, I haven't got the money (and can't sell all the kids-illegal apparently!) 2, Don't mess with the dream (often disappointing) and 3 if I did have £1300-2000ish to spend i'm sure the incredible workmanship of other models would lure me from the LP. I was in a music shop some 6months back and tried a Lag Roxanne Master series "£2200 ticket price, I'll do it for £1500 now if you want" it was only the thought of wht my wife would have done and my kids going hungry that stopped me - beautiful guitar. And even at that moment, which guitar did I compare this magnificent high end Lag to.........my good ol' £80 westie. God could not have built it better....although despite my Dad loving it, I've never truly liked the oak finish.

Would be interested to here any other comparisons

Keep rockin'!

Ian
IanO
IanO

Number of posts : 259
Registration date : 2011-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Iceman Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:10 pm

My wife has told me many, many, many happy warm fuzzy stories of the Mustang she used to play and how wonderful it was. It was an early 60's model and she regrets not still having it. Yesterday she spent maybe 10 minutes with my Concorde I that arrived from sunny San Diego and guess what...!!!???

Yup. Grimey, ill maintained, crud strings, sticky beer-stained pickguard and using a pick I fashioned earlier that day at my shop from titanium and let me just say -- she could not stop smiling and shaking her head. First words out of her mouth??... "That is one sweet neck".

She has played in her life... Teles, Strats, Jags, Stangs, Starfires, 335's, LPC's, Melody Makers, Warlocks, SC-2's & 3's, Duojets, my V2, Standards, Studios, Epis, PRS, Mockingbirds and I don't know what else.

'Nuf said.
Iceman
Iceman

Number of posts : 2894
Registration date : 2011-02-22

http://www.glowingtubes.com/p/Kahler_Instructions.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by DuoFuzz Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:24 pm

I know this isn't technically a Mustang, but it's not far off pirat

Fender Mustang FenderCycloneII-1

It's a Mexican made Fender Cyclone II, only made from 2002 to 2006. They fitted them with three Jaguar pickups (middle one reverse wound & polarity) and Jag style control plate with separate on-off switches for each pickup. I think it sounds great with the switching options and has the added bonus of not being another straight Strat/Tele/LP clone. Don't seem to see them very often these days so it's worth giving one a try if you find one Cool

DAN.
DuoFuzz
DuoFuzz

Number of posts : 640
Registration date : 2009-05-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Happyrocker Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:30 pm

Iceman wrote:My wife has told me many, many, many happy warm fuzzy stories of the Mustang 'Nuf said.

So has mine but nothing to do with guitars!!!! Laughing Very Happy Shocked - Ooops sorry
Happyrocker
Registered Member

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2011-02-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Iceman Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:15 pm

Happyrocker wrote:
Iceman wrote:My wife has told me many, many, many happy warm fuzzy stories of the Mustang 'Nuf said.

So has mine but nothing to do with guitars!!!! Laughing Very Happy Shocked - Ooops sorry

.........WOW...
Iceman
Iceman

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:47 am

Seeing as Mustang/Jaguar's and the like.
check this Blonde out. Limited edition, gold hardware.
Fender Mustang P3101565

Fender Mustang P3101567

Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 5917
Registration date : 2008-12-28

http://www.chruler.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Iceman Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:49 am

That is pretty sweet! Any refurbish or reconditioning going on there??
Iceman
Iceman

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:51 am

Nope, Just as it was born. affraid

It's a reissue, from the 90's. LExxxx serial no. 1994.
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 5917
Registration date : 2008-12-28

http://www.chruler.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down