The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need one lock nut saddle

4 posters

Go down

Need one lock nut saddle Empty Need one lock nut saddle

Post by Westonefan71 Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:14 am

Hey everybody,

changed strings on my Pantera X275 and lost a lock-nut saddle or how you call it. It's a square sort of little bolt by wich you screw the lock nut tight against the strings.

Can I just replace it with any lock nut bolt or do I need a real Westone one?

Greetz,

Bas
Westonefan71
Registered Member

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2010-04-02

Back to top Go down

Need one lock nut saddle Empty Re: Need one lock nut saddle

Post by Steve777 Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:42 am

Do you mean the string lock behind the nut on the head stock? If so, are you describing the centre locking plate for the middle two strings?

If so, they are easy to make from 3mm steel and then drill hole for the bolt.
Steve777
Steve777

Number of posts : 356
Registration date : 2008-10-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Westonefan71 Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:54 pm

I mean the lock at the head stock indeed.. I'm not that technical with drilling pieces if iron. Isn't possible to buy one at ye olde guitar shoppe?
Westonefan71
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve777 Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:35 pm

Where abouts are you?

If I get a chance, and I'm not promising, I'll see if I have time make one as favour. I had to make these plates when I've bought Westones with these plates missing. Do you still have the bolt?

As for the "olde guitar spare Shoppe", sadly it no longer exists.
Steve777
Steve777

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve777 Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:42 pm

Just read your other posts. So you have an FT bendmaster. Was the string lock plate that you have lost either perfectly square or did it have two long sides and two short sides?
Steve777
Steve777

Back to top Go down

Post by Westonefan71 Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:16 am

Need one lock nut saddle Locknu10

A picture says more than a thousand words.. so it's the middle one missing. I've got the screw though..
Westonefan71
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve777 Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:19 am

Hi, Sorry, but I dont recognise this as a Westone part. It certainly doesnt look like my original string locks and I have both the FT and deluxe to compare against. Is this a Kahler? Can any one help here with ID?

Secondly, what does the bolt do that sticks out horizontal to the head stock? A bit puzzled by this.
Steve777
Steve777

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:03 am

I don't recognize it from that angle either, but I'm no expert. Sure doesn't look like a standard Westone installation...the TRC has been carefully cutout to accommodate the mounting plate screws. So... scratch

edit:
I just checked the info site: LINK
Maybe it is original after all? And that "extra" screw sticking out is actually the third bolt just sitting on top of the strings, yes? Confusing there for awhile!

MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: https://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)
Barry
Barry
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 8700
Registration date : 2009-05-01

https://legend.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve777 Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:46 pm

Ok, I can see what the bolt is now.

However, original Westone string locks for the FT and deluxe bendmaster have string guide grooves on both the nut side and machine head side of the string lock. The clamping plate sits in between. This one doesnt seem to have them, only a straight forward clamp. Bit stumped by this.
Steve777
Steve777

Back to top Go down

Post by Westonefan71 Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:44 pm

If it isn't original that makes two pieces of hardware.. The bridge is a Bendmaster FT instead of the 'other' BM. Maybe its now easier to replace the lock-nut thingie because it's some 'standard' locknut..

Need one lock nut saddle Img_1810
Westonefan71
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve777 Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:18 pm

Hi Westonefan,

That is not a Westone lock nut. From the way it looks, it would seem that the lock plate is "pulled up" to clamp the strings as opposed to the Westone method of clamping the plate down. Therefore, the plate you want needs to have a threaded hole and unfortunately I cant help you there.

I'm sure if you went around to a small engineering shop they would make you one up. It wouldnt be difficult. What will be difficult is finding a Westone locknut in working order. Rocking horse droppings come to mind. I have heard that a Kahler might fit but I have no experience with Kahlers on Westones. Kahler components are usually expensive.

Actually, you may find that it is cheaper in the long run to get the plate made up.

Good luck
Steve777
Steve777

Back to top Go down

Post by DuoFuzz Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:30 pm

I doubt this is going to help with the original problem repairing Westonefan71's Pantera, but it might clear up what it could be?

This locknut looked familiar to me so I looked around and found THIS from an old Ibanez catalogue scan. look for the "Top Lok & Top Lok II" section, it's not exactly the same shape as fitted to the Westone but it a very similar set-up.

The Ibanez Top Lok has a curved base to fit into the radiused section of a Fender style (not back angled) headstock and the centre clamp is offset to improve clearance to the trussrod. The strings pass through the main body of the clamp and it acts like a string tree, holding the strings down. The bolts pull the clamp plates up tight against the underside of the strings so it doesn't pull the strings sharp when they are locked.

The locking nut on the Westone isn't an Ibanez item, it's got a flat base and different mounting screw placement so it fits the back angled headstock. The trussrod cover has been cut to fit the locknut and it doesn't look like it's ever been fitted with a Bendmaster locknut, the TRC seems to long?

I'd say it has to be factory fitted, possibly an SLM designed or sourced item? Just a guess!

DAN.
DuoFuzz
DuoFuzz

Number of posts : 640
Registration date : 2009-05-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down