The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Looking for a "Who made what" list of Asian guitars

+2
gittarasaurus
psafloyd
6 posters

Go down

Looking for a "Who made what" list of Asian guitars Empty Looking for a "Who made what" list of Asian guitars

Post by psafloyd Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:58 am

Hello, people. I used to have a link to a page that listed all the brands (or most of them) associated with different manufacturers for Japan and I think some Korean, too. 

Is anyone aware of this, and if so, can you share the link with me, please? 

Many thanks.
psafloyd
psafloyd
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2016-06-07

Back to top Go down

Looking for a "Who made what" list of Asian guitars Empty Re: Looking for a "Who made what" list of Asian guitars

Post by gittarasaurus Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:52 pm

i didn't save the link to where i got this from, but i did copy the info (in October 2011), so here ya go:

Allan
While searching for some information I came across a post by Uli on a German website detailing the brands produced by top Japanese manufacturers of the late 60's - early 70's.

Since the original post is in German I'm not sure it pops up in English language searches so I'm reproducing it here so I can find it next time I need to see who may have produced an obscure brand. Looks like Uli has done good work and the list appears fairly accurate. As I get more information I'll update/correct this list. Please post your corrections/additions and I'll add your suggestions to the list.

Fujigen Gakki:

Contract Manufacturing for: Antoria, Epiphone, Greco, Ibanez, Jason, Mann, Odessa, Orville by Gibson, Penco, Univox, Yamaha, Kent, Hohner

Sales Brands: Oakland, Beck Bridge, Goldentone Grant Isonez, P. visitors, Pearl, Polaris, Sakai, Ventura

Guyatone:

Exclusive: Capri, Crown, GUYATONE, Guya, Fandel, Imperial, Saturn

Contract Manufacturing for: Apollo, Audition, Decca, Domino, Futurama, Hondo, Kent, Kingston, Ibanez, Orpheum, Silvertone, Suzuki

Sales Brands: Barclay, Beltone, Broadway, Capri, Crestwood, Elko, Feather, G. Rossi, Howard, Hi-Lo, Ideal, Johnny Guitar, Kimberly, Lafayette, Lindell, Maier, Marco Polo, Marquis, Maximus, Melodies, Montclair, Omega, Orpheus, Prestige, Recco, Royalist, St George, Silhouette, Sorrento, Toledo, Vernon, Victoria, Zen-On, Zenta

Kasuga:

Exclusive: Kasuga, Tokai, Goban

Contract Manufacturing for: Burny, Conrad, Fernandes, Hondo

Sales Brands: Heerby, Ganson, Emperador, Madeira, Asco, Orville

Kawai/Teisco:

Exclusive: Del Rey, Kawai, Teisco, Teisco Del Rey

Contract Manufacturing for: Arbiter, Audition, Apollo, CBS, Decca, Imperial, Kay, Kent, Kingston, Ibanez (60's), Noble, Silvertone, Tele Star

Sales Brands: Arirang, Band Master, Barth, Daimaru, Devoc, Diasonic, Dispender, Duke, Heit Deluxe, Hi-Lo, Holiday, Jedson, Kimberly, Keefy, Lindell, Melody, MCM, Noble, Prestige, Philharmonic, Randall, Regina, Rexina, Sakai, Satellite, St Georges, Schaffer, Shadow, Sorrento, Sterling, Swinger, Tonemaster, Top Twenty, Winston, Zeus

Matsumoku:

Exclusive: Arai, Aria, Aria Diamond, Electra, Stewart, Tempo, Ventura, Westbury

Contract Manufacturing for: Columbus, Conrad, Domino, Epiphone, Greco, GUYATONE, Ibanez, Washburn (Wing-and Stage-series), Westone, Yamaha

Sales Brands: Arita, Barclay, Cimar, Custom, El Maya, Fell, Gallan, Gigan, Hi.Lo, Howard, Lindberg, Lyle, Luxor, Maxitone, Maya, Mayfair, Montclair, Pan, P. visitors, Raven, Sekova, Skylark, Univox , Vision, Volhox

Tombo:

Exclusive: Morris

Contract Manufacturing for: Norma

Marks Distribution: Angelica, Asama, Columbus, Condor, Duke, Horugel, Kinor, Montaya, Queen, Regina, Schaffer, Yamato

Terada

:
Contract Manufacturing for: Grapham, Gretch, Joo Dee, Morris, Orville, Vesta and Fender Japan

Other brands that need classifying:

Ayar, Astrotone, Beeton, Bradford, Bruno, Conqueror, Calif., Canora, Cipher, Coronado, Cutler, Demian, Eros, Fresher, Holiday, Intersport Mark Lero, Mako, Marlin, Master, Matador, Mellowtone , Memphis, Montaya, Orlando, Pleasant, Regent, Sigma, Solola, Tamaki, Trump, MegaTones, Westminster ...

Last edited by gittarasaurus on Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:00 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
gittarasaurus
gittarasaurus
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 1500
Registration date : 2011-05-25

Barry likes this post

Back to top Go down

Looking for a "Who made what" list of Asian guitars Empty Re: Looking for a "Who made what" list of Asian guitars

Post by corsair Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:09 pm

Interesting… no mention there of Vantage, which was at various stages manufactured by Matsumoku and Chushin-Gakki…

… and the Washburn Wing series, which were surmised to be Matsumoku but were probably someone else, Terada, perhaps?
corsair

Number of posts : 6321
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by gittarasaurus Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:53 pm

yes, it is strange that there is no mention of Vantage. many of us on this forum have Vantage guitars.
this list originated on some website from Germany, and i found it in 2011 on some guitar forum (which i can't recall now). i would guess there probably aren't many Vantage guitars in Germany

and no mention of Chushin-Gakki as a producer either

Washburn's "Wing" and "Stage" series are listed under Matsumoku

Last edited by gittarasaurus on Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:01 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
gittarasaurus
gittarasaurus
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 1500
Registration date : 2011-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:46 pm

So they are!! Daion is another that’s missing…. one of the blokes in here ages ago had a couple and rated them highly; it was thought that they were Matsumoku builds, but it was thought more likely they were Terada, or someone else.
corsair

Number of posts : 6321
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:26 pm

gittarasaurus wrote:...it is strange that there is no mention of Vantage. many of us on this forum have Vantage guitars.
I missed that too on a quick read. Embarassed 

I love my Vantages, great players all!

MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: https://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)
Barry
Barry
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 8701
Registration date : 2009-05-01

https://legend.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by The Chad Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:31 am

Kasuga also made a model for Electra, the Outlaw.
The Chad
The Chad
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 2772
Registration date : 2011-02-01

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilH Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:29 pm

If such a comprehensive list did exist or come to exist count me in. I have a few that have conflicting MFR data and a few that seem to not exist on paper (little or no info is readily available) - "SS", Shelter Space Craft; and Ishibashi Blackbeam. Even my Super FS has questionable parentage given that it has a Fernandes neck.

Neil
NeilH
NeilH
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2019-05-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down