The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wanted: Westone Bass Pickup

2 posters

Go down

Wanted: Westone Bass Pickup Empty Wanted: Westone Bass Pickup

Post by Elwabbo Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:13 am

Hi All,
I have a 86 Spectrum ST bass with a dud split coil style pickup. This is a humbucker sized split coil (pole pieces 'Z' orientated like a precision pickup). I managed to repair one coil easily enough but the other coil has had it. So I am looking for a suitable replacement pickup. I think they are called Magnabass pickups. I would be interested in a split coil or humbucker type pickup. Any condition considered, preferably working but I would even consider a non working pickup in the hope that I might be able to build one working pup from the two of them.
Or does anyone have a recommendation for where I can have this rewound for cheap in the UK?
I love these pups BTW. They sound excellent IMHO!
Cheers
Elwabbo
Elwabbo
Registered Member

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2019-03-09

Back to top Go down

Wanted: Westone Bass Pickup Empty Re: Wanted: Westone Bass Pickup

Post by Westbone Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:21 pm

Here's the answer. Oil City Pickups. Can recommend Ash highly. Give him a call, amicable chap.

LINK
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 5917
Registration date : 2008-12-28

http://www.chruler.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Elwabbo Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:38 am

Hi Westbone, 
Thanks for the reply. Ill contact Ash for a quote. 
Just out of interest, I dont suppose you know where i can get a set of pole pieces for this pup? I am thinking of converting it to a full humbucker. The pole pieces measure up as 6.1D x 25mm. I presume they were originally 6.0 diameter. Ive found 6x25 N35 neodymium on aliexpress for cheap, so I might give them a go, but I am concerned that they will be too strong (although IIRC N35 is weaker than N52 at least). If I use them Ill probably have to change all of the pole pieces, so I can adjust the pup height correctly, so Alnico or ceramic might be a better option if I can find them.
You've probably been asked a dozen times before but what is the bike in your avatar?
Cheers
Elwabbo
Elwabbo
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:58 pm

They are a full humbucker in standard form. Same as a P bass pup in a different cover.

The pole pieces are just that, not induvial magnets. There is a bar magnet in them. 

Experiment away, why not, but without a coil that works it's pointless.

Have a look here......LINK
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Elwabbo Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:37 am

Hi Westbone,
Ive got someone lined up to rewind the bust coil now (Bulldog Pickups...your guy hasnt responded yet, but thanks for the link....it will come on handy at some point no doubt). Ill post back with details and how I got on.

Thanks for the info on the polepieces (Bulldog confirmed this was the likely construction). I wrongly assumed the polepieces were magnets just based on how strong the magnetic pull is. It will certainly be easier to find 6mm steel rod than 6mm alnico slugs;-)

Yeah I am aware all split coil pups are humbucking. It was one of Leo's best inventions IMHO. I always wondered why this design wasn't used for guitars....then I found out it had been and it makes for a really ugly and complicated looking guitar pup, but no doubt it will sound great.   G&L USA Fullerton Deluxe Comanche

Thanks for the link. That's exactly what I had in mind for the modification to a 'dual full single coil' humbucker.

However Ive changed my mind about moding it. I really like how these pups sound (when working;-) so I think I'll keep it original for now at least. 

Thanks for your help and info. Its appreciated.

BTW I might still be in the market for buying a working or non-working bass pickup if anyone has one they want rid of. 

Cheers
Elwabbo
Elwabbo
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:23 am

Leo fender didn't invent the humbucker pickup, was a fella by the name of Ray Butts.

Just out of interest. Early 60's Ibanez
Wanted: Westone Bass Pickup Dscf0311
Wanted: Westone Bass Pickup Dscf6610
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Elwabbo Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:24 am

Ahh...I beg to differ. Humbuckers were invented about 20 years before either Butts or Lover lodged their patents. The concept of dual coil humbucker pickups for guitars were even in the public domain long before the Butts and Lover (ahem) patents were filed. I havent actually looked at all the patents and prior art but there is a fair chance that those patents wouldnt even be granted nowadays (on the grounds of 'lack of inventive step'). It used to be that you could pretty much get a patent by being the first to patent something but nowadays (and probably for about the last 30 or 40 years) you actually have to prove an 'inventive step' over existing prior art. 
I might be wrong but I am pretty sure Fender patented the split coil humbucker in the late 50's (thats not to say someone else didnt invent it first tho'). For Ibanez to be using it in the early 60's, they were either infringing on the patent, licensing it or Fender only took out a US patent (more likely as I am pretty sure all of the patents mentioned were US only) or I am entirely wrong and Fender never took out a patent;-)

Those Ibanez pups look nicer than the G&L pups but they are all still too busy looking for me tho'. However I think Split coils look great on a bass tho'.
Cheers
Elwabbo
Elwabbo
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:23 pm

Yep just like a Jazz bass pickups act as a humbucker.

Good luck with your pickup, all the best.
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down