The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can you help me identify my Westone ?

+5
corsair
Rio Thunder IA
challpa
Westbone
Pewee136177
9 posters

Go down

Can you help me identify my Westone ? Empty Can you help me identify my Westone ?

Post by Pewee136177 Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:41 pm

Hello all, first time post.

I have this guitar since a very long time, my father gave it to me actually. He buyed it to a friend back in the 80's.

However, I cannot find any perfect resemblance with any of the models listed on the site. So since there are experts here, I hoped you could help me to have the complete identification of this beautiful one.

Thanks in advance !

Can you help me identify my Westone ? Img_2016
Can you help me identify my Westone ? Img_2015
Can you help me identify my Westone ? Img_2014Can you help me identify my Westone ? Img_2017
Can you help me identify my Westone ? Img_2018Can you help me identify my Westone ? Img_2012
Can you help me identify my Westone ? Img_2013
Pewee136177
Pewee136177

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2020-04-23

Back to top Go down

Can you help me identify my Westone ? Empty Re: Can you help me identify my Westone ?

Post by Westbone Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:57 pm

1984, April, Thunder I, looks in good nick... Smile.

Have a look around here,,,,Westone link
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 5917
Registration date : 2008-12-28

http://www.chruler.com/

Back to top Go down

Can you help me identify my Westone ? Empty Re: Can you help me identify my Westone ?

Post by challpa Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:43 pm

Yep nice Thunder
try this link and scroll to bottom of page
Thunder 1
challpa
challpa
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 220
Registration date : 2008-05-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Rio Thunder IA Wed May 06, 2020 10:15 pm

Oh yes, a Thunder IA. The Trusrodcover ist missing.
Rio Thunder IA
Rio Thunder IA

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2019-05-03

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Wed May 06, 2020 10:23 pm

I may have a TRC here for that...

Last edited by corsair on Thu May 07, 2020 4:56 am; edited 1 time in total
corsair

Number of posts : 6321
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian D Thu May 07, 2020 4:40 am

Hi Pewee Westbone is correct, not Rio Thunder 1A - the guitar you have is definitely a Thunder 1
The Thunder 1A has three switches below the control knobs, the Thunder 1 only one
The Truss Rod Cover will also have Thunder 1 written on it
Ian D
Ian D
Registered Member

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2020-03-18

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Thu May 07, 2020 4:57 am

The TRCs I have here are blank...
corsair

Number of posts : 6321
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by WestoneDX'Leftie'Owner Wed May 13, 2020 12:23 am

What you have is an early 1980s Westone 'clone' of the original late 1970s Ibanez guitar (the original 'threat' to the Gibson SG , next to the 'hard to find' B.C. Rich guitar that Rik Derringer use to play). The neck is a two piece 'construct' (with an 'insert' on the underside of the neck were the Truss Rod was added). The original Ibanez was done in 'dark' wood stain , and your is done in 'light' wood stain. The pick-ups are said to be 'clean' (but emotional lacking). It is still a 'clone' guitar. Hope that helps.
WestoneDX'Leftie'Owner
WestoneDX'Leftie'Owner
Registered Member

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2020-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian D Wed May 13, 2020 3:49 am

Not sure that is correct at all - the serial number says it is a regular production Thunder 1 from April 1984
Maybe the more knowledgeable members will throw some more light on that
Looks like a regular 3 piece bolt on neck, just like mine, which is from July 1984
Ian D
Ian D
Registered Member

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2020-03-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Wed May 13, 2020 9:20 am

Sorry Leftie, you are way off in your assessment.

As Ian says this is a regular production Thunder model which was available from 1980 with several prototype versions before that. It is not a clone.

The neck is a solid 3 piece Maple neck with thin walnut accent strips. There is no "insert" or "skunk stripe" there.

The truss rod is installed from the player side as is typical of most guitars and the Rosewood fret board covers it. Wink

MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: https://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)
Barry
Barry
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 8701
Registration date : 2009-05-01

https://legend.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jorg Wed May 13, 2020 5:29 pm

I could be wrong but I think what Leftie was trying to say is that the Thunder body was based on an Ibanez (ST100?) from the 70s. 
Possibly, but the stuff about the Ibanez being a threat to the SG or BC Rich and especially the neck construction theory? 
No.
Clearly, the Thunder and Ibanez use traditional construction methods where the truss rod is inserted under the fretboard.
And, I really don't think Ibanez or BC Rich was ever a considerable threat to Gibson.
jorg
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 75
Registration date : 2010-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Wed May 13, 2020 8:55 pm

I think it is pure speculation to to say that one guitar was a clone of another. Hoshino Gakki (Ibanez) was certainly around a very long time before Matsumoku and was likely an influence on them and as well as many others.

But during this time there were many excellent instrument makers and they all seemed to have been making variations on the same sort of construction approach: multi-woods / natural or trans finishes / brass hardware / split coil / phase shift / boost circuits, etc.

Ultimately, Matsumoku under the Westone label, was more noted for innovation than imitation.

MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: https://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)
Barry
Barry
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 8701
Registration date : 2009-05-01

https://legend.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by WestoneDX'Leftie'Owner Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:36 am

The 'original' Ibanez used 'oversized' (later called Medium Wide) Frets , that is what made it a 'threat' to the Gibson SG. Both B.C. Rich's Premium Series and Westone quickly adapted to this concept , making Gibson the 'Odd Man Out' , at least for a while. That is what I meant here. My 1986 DX Spectrum has these 'oversized' Medium Wide Frets , that is what makes this guitar so hard to master (the play action is just beyond my capability).

Last edited by WestoneDX'Leftie'Owner on Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:01 am; edited 2 times in total
WestoneDX'Leftie'Owner
WestoneDX'Leftie'Owner
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by WestoneDX'Leftie'Owner Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:54 am

Your guitar is as close as the could come to as a 'clone' of the original Ibanez , without being confused for an Ibanez. Funny thing is , Ibanez didn't have their guitars Copy Righted back then.
WestoneDX'Leftie'Owner
WestoneDX'Leftie'Owner
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:50 am

WestoneDX'Leftie'Owner wrote:Your guitar is as close as the could come to as a 'clone' of the original Ibanez , without being confused for an Ibanez. Funny thing is , Ibanez didn't have their guitars Copy Righted back then.
Absolutely nothing to do with Ibanez.

Which model Ibanez are you confusing it with???
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 5917
Registration date : 2008-12-28

http://www.chruler.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down