The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

trying to identify this westone

5 posters

Go down

trying to identify this westone Empty trying to identify this westone

Post by defzeppard Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:03 pm

We've got a newbie here,

Alright been wanting to indentify this westone for quite some time. My mom bought it for me when I started taking guitar lessons 10 years ago. I've taken good care of it since then and for its age, its in pretty good shape.

I think it might be either a spectrum or a corsair as both look similer

I've nicknamed it "The Prowler" due to its color being close to that of the plymouth prowler cars.

Here's a pic from the front

trying to identify this westone Westone

And heres a shot of the neck plate with the serial number

trying to identify this westone Westone2
defzeppard
defzeppard
Registered Member

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2008-10-30

Back to top Go down

trying to identify this westone Empty Re: trying to identify this westone

Post by corsair Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:13 am

Hiya, bro - IMHO that's a Corsair 1430 made in 1987, which means it's sort of like my Clippers and may have been assembled in Korea from Matsumoku parts... or it may have been built in Japan!!
That's a nice looking guitar, though; I fancy the 1440 in Shocking pink!! Actually, you're not that far from the truth with the paint observation as my impression of the later model Westones and Electras was that they did use automotive colours, and that to me looks like Burgundy pearl.

So, do you gig it, and what are your impressions of it? Have you compared it to any other guitars etc.... Very Happy

http://www.westone.info/xa1430.html

Last edited by corsair on Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:14 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : addition)
corsair

Number of posts : 6321
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by defzeppard Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:31 pm

I absolutly love this guitar. Its in the shop right now, discovered 2 weeks ago that the washers for the locking nut were missing. To my knowledge they were never on the guitar from when I bought it. How the strings never broke when I locked them down, up until 2 weeks ago is beyond me.

My current guitar teacher keeps telling me to sell it along with all my other guitars (except for my Jackson) and get a Fender. Don't worry I'm never gonna part with it. Nothing wrong with Fenders, great guitars, quality etc.... but to me they're too heavy. Not a big fan of Gibson's either for that same reason. The Westone was my very first guitar so it holds quite a bit of sentimental value.

Along with my Westone I have:

'98 Jackson PC3 Phil Collen signature (My baby)
'90 Charvel Fusion
'88 Kramer Focus

And my newest addition: my brand new Ovation Celebrity
defzeppard
defzeppard
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrn Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:27 pm

defzeppard wrote:My current guitar teacher keeps telling me to sell it along with all my other guitars (except for my Jackson) and get a Fender.
Never do this. Fenders are no nicer than anything you've got and are incredibly overpriced, right along with Gibsons. Fenders are also boring, I don't see what's so wrong with playing something different. I realize you've already said you won't do it, but I felt the need to chime in.
Warrn
Warrn

Number of posts : 1133
Registration date : 2008-08-03

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:15 pm

Hell, no! Guitarists are SO conservative and anything that doesn't have the American names on it is automatically discounted. However, you only have to look at the market values of Matsumoku, Ibanez, et al to realise that the world is catching on! And I can recall trying a GLP in 1981 and being shocked by a) the price tag, and b) the shonky build quality, which was an order of magnitude beneath my Vantage VA900, so hang onto it, brother - you won't regret it, and set up properly, you can get strat sounds out of it anyway, should you desire to sound like everyone else!! Laughing

..oh, and there are spares available, too...

http://www.westone.info/spares/index.html

Last edited by corsair on Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:17 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : addition)
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by logicaljohn Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:16 am

Hi Def

Too heavy ?

Try picking up a Westone Thunder !

And get that teacher reported to , um, .. the Dodgy Guitar Advice Regulator !!
logicaljohn
logicaljohn
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2008-06-30

http://www.myspace.com/cosmiclobster

Back to top Go down

trying to identify this westone Empty japonese guitars

Post by jazzia Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:34 am

I´m sorry if I heart any felling but Japonese guitars can be as good as american guitars and much cheaper...
Japonese manufacters really did a very good job in the "epoca dorada" and made really good guitars
They are really good workers and we all know this is a fact..
when i broght my westone thunder I, I brouht it to a spanish luthier here in Madrid, he really got surprised about the guitar
he never heard about this brand, and when he asked me about the price i paid for it, he really got more surprised...
he told me that the guitar frets where placed as if he did it by himself step by step... he told me that was a really good job...
Anyway his bill wasn´t so cheap, but i really got very happy about the result...
I´ve changed the humbuckers, because when i bought it didn´t work really good and luthier placed seymour duncan...
And about the original sound of my westone thunder II can´t complain at all....
So.... I had a jackson Randy Rhoads, Charvel, parker fly artis... Very expensive guitars but I didn´t feel like i found my "sound"
later I knew westone.... and everything changed to me... this is my story.
Un saludo
jazzia
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2008-11-01

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:53 pm

logicaljohn wrote: .. the Dodgy Guitar Advice Regulator !!

...and that, my friend, is a damn good idea! maybe a separate thread for advice given that is beyond idiocy!! Laughing Let's face it, anyone who gigs anything but Fender or Gibson is told at some stage to "get a Fender/Gibson/PRS" - wallies!!

Good stuff, Jazzia - you found your sound!Shame about the p'ups not being OEM but SD's are pretty good, too!! Very Happy

Last edited by Pollyanna on Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:33 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Changed a rude word! (Sorry John, but my grandkids sometimes read this!))
corsair

Back to top Go down

trying to identify this westone Empty Westone back from the shop

Post by defzeppard Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:17 pm

Finally got my guitar back from the shop. The guy custom made a set of shims for the locking nut, so its all good to go now. Like I said before, I wouldn't trade this guitar for anything. The sentimental value of this guitar is more than the $300 purchase price 10 years ago.

My guitar teacher can be quite the jokester from time to time. He knows what I think of Fenders and Gibsons and he respects my opinion. But he'll still tell me to trade all my guitars, except for my Jackson for a Fender, just cuz he knows it ticks me off. lol

Colleen
defzeppard
defzeppard
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down