The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thunder in a Spectrum case?

2 posters

Go down

thunder - Thunder in a Spectrum case? Empty Thunder in a Spectrum case?

Post by 1point5 Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:40 pm

Just wondering if the case that normally houses Spectrums would fit a Thunder as well? They don't look too different but just wanted to be sure. 

I'm talking about the black ones with the Eagle logo on there in gold, they're fitted somewhat to the shape of the guitar... Hopefully you know what I'm talking about. 

Cheers guys.
1point5
1point5
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2022-11-14

Back to top Go down

thunder - Thunder in a Spectrum case? Empty Re: Thunder in a Spectrum case?

Post by Barry Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:30 pm

I am fortunate enough to have one of each in my collection and I can say with confidence that my Thunder IA fits beautifully in the Spectrum case!
So Happy

However. . .
A couple of comments:
The Thunder case is deeper than the Spectrum by about 1/2" (12.5mm) and has double the padding thickness. The Thunder case is also a sturdier build than the Spectrum. This makes sense because the Thunder is a generally a much heavier guitar.

Although the Thunder fits a Spectrum case I would not recommend doing it unless the guitar is mainly going to be stored at home or see light handling. I would not trust it to protect the guitar under constant travelling or heavy gig use, the latches are not as sturdy, neither is the case overall.

Oddly the reverse is not so. The Spectrum could probably be "encouraged" to fit the Thunder case but it's not a glove fit. And there are two issues.

The upper bout (horn) fouls the 1" (25mm) thick padding by about a 1/4" (6mm) and would not go down without crushing the foam which I obviously did to want to do. You would have to perform a bit of local surgery to open it up and make room for it to slide in.

The second thing to note is that the bottom of the Spectrum is flat (straight across) and the Thunder is actually more rounded. That means that there is a considerable space at the bottom of the Thunder case. Also strangely, the strap pin does not line up with the space in the padding to accommodate it.

But if you get it to fit there is not doubt the case will give it very good protection.

MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: https://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)
Barry
Barry
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 8695
Registration date : 2009-05-01

https://legend.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by 1point5 Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:33 pm

Gotcha. Cheers, Baz.

Unfortunately the Thunder case(s) are nowhere to be found, but a friend in Melbourne came across a left handed Spectrum case and asked if I wanted it. Of course I did. I have a 1983 thunder 1A on the way and figured it was the universe giving me a thumbs up so its on its way over.

I do have other (better) cases if actual protection is needed but I find a case helps resale value immensely, especially if it's matching should it come to that.
1point5
1point5
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2022-11-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down