The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Just got a westone spectrum dx

3 posters

Go down

spectrum - Just got a westone spectrum dx Empty Just got a westone spectrum dx

Post by Johnpedalorguitar Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:43 am

Never had a floyd rose type bridge or setup ever. Id always thought they were stupid and didnt ever care for em. I bought this spectrum dx cuz i heard the pickups are dope. I had bought a s s h combo pups off of reverb and thru them in a squire strat. They kicked ass. I wanted a guitar from where those pickups came from. I bought this. Noticed it had a floyd rose type setup. Cool time to learn maybe they arent stupid. Well from wat i learned the bridge should be parallel with the body and whenever i raise the action 
With the screws with the flathead it inevitably starts to angle. Iv tightens the two screws holding the claw as far as it can go still angle. I loosend it till it almost fell off still angle. I have confirmed my initial thought that floyd rose are stupid. I would rather be the stupid one than have wasted more money on bs. Im stumpd, again i dont know an effing thing other than wat i can find on youtube and theres a serious drought of anything related to these bridges everywhere on the net but here. I have a serious problem with nothing ever working when i touch anything . Everything seems to blow up whenevr i do anything to anything. So anyone know what to do? If i hear “learn how to setup floyd rose” im gunna explode.
Johnpedalorguitar
Johnpedalorguitar
Registered Member

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2022-06-09

Back to top Go down

spectrum - Just got a westone spectrum dx Empty Re: Just got a westone spectrum dx

Post by gittarasaurus Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:48 pm

Johnpedalorguitar wrote: So anyone know what to do?

what if you just take it to a guitar tech to get it set up correctly?

the tech might be able to tell you if there are any non-obvious issues that have caused the problems you are experiencing
gittarasaurus
gittarasaurus
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 1499
Registration date : 2011-05-25

Back to top Go down

spectrum - Just got a westone spectrum dx Empty Re: Just got a westone spectrum dx

Post by Johnpedalorguitar Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:33 pm

Becuz i dont have it like that with our president insisting on keep8ng us in the condition for a ripe takeover from any of our many effing enemies. I aint got no time for that man. Thats why im here and not over there. Hoping for maybe someone to maybe be like i bwen in that spot before heres what i did. But its not likely to happen. Thanks anyways
Johnpedalorguitar
Johnpedalorguitar
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Johnpedalorguitar Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:42 pm

Why doesnt everybody just get that answer when they ask a question under the technical category in this forum. Why would that be a good answer? Usually whwn i go to a tech they say here ya go andni ask a question they talk around it looking at me sayiing thats why i make tue big bucks woth their eyes and then i go home fewling stupid for even bothering to ask those blowhards anything. So can i get a realcanswer or is that reserved for everybody else on this forum?
Johnpedalorguitar
Johnpedalorguitar
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by gittarasaurus Sat Jun 11, 2022 2:09 pm

there are many helpful people here with lots of experience if you wish to engage respectfully with the community
but,
if you don't want to learn how to set up a floyd rose (post#1)...
and,
you don't want to have somebody else set it up for you(post#4)...
not sure what kind of help you looking for Don\'t Know

re post#3; this is not a place for political complaints. this is a guitar enthusiast's discussion forum, let's just stick to that ok?
gittarasaurus
gittarasaurus
Financial supporter

Barry likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Johnpedalorguitar Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:59 am

Sorry for being rude in the earlier posts, i was upset and i saw on so many other posts in these forums people being helpful. I guess i was just upset when u had told me to take it to a tech. The whole reason i posted here was to learn how to do it myself. I dont ever recall saying i didnt want to learn to do it myself. Maybe i had badly explained my intentions n my plight. So now that i have explained that i want to learn. I am asking are there any general things to do that would apply to most floyd rose type bridges to help achieve setting up the bridge parallel to the body? I had just received this spectrum dx and im pretty sure i have everything that is necessary to setup bendmaster deluxe i was following along with a youtube vid n thought i was doin everything he was tellin me to, yet not achieving the desired results. Couldnt understand why.
Johnpedalorguitar
Johnpedalorguitar
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by gittarasaurus Sun Jun 12, 2022 1:57 pm

it is a balancing act between the strings and the springs. heavier strings require more tension from the springs. most guitars do well with 3 springs.

you can block the tremolo to get it parallel to the body, then tune up your strings, then tighten the screws on the string claw until you can remove the block easily.

it might take a little back and forth to get the final adjustment just right.

there are lots of videos on you tube. pretty much all floating trems require the same steps to get it set up correctly. the bendmaster is no different. here are two different vids for starters

link

link

Last edited by gittarasaurus on Sun Jun 12, 2022 2:02 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
gittarasaurus
gittarasaurus
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Johnpedalorguitar Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:19 am

I had gotten to the part when i was blocking the tremelo and 8 was adjusting the action. As i was unscrewing the flathead on the guitarbody that the bridge was mounted in hb in the on it would raise but it would also would start to be less abd less parallel with the guitar body. I had tried tightening the claw screws all the way to the  body. And also tried loosening it a , like almost till they were falling to no avail. I coul not get it to be parallel with body
Johnpedalorguitar
Johnpedalorguitar
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by gittarasaurus Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:52 pm

some photos would help

you should adjust the height of the strings before you do all the rest of the setup. you do not need to have it tuned to pitch to adjust the string height. just tight enough so they are straight and not sagging. maybe even only have the high E and low E on the guitar for this part. you don't even need the springs in place for this adjustment, just hold the trem level to examine your string height, adjust posts as needed. turning the posts to adjust the string height while the strings are at full tension can damage the posts and/or the knife edges on the trem body. to avoid damage, i push the trem body away from the post and then adjust the height of the post.

once you get the string height where you like it, then you can proceed with the rest.

in the two videos i linked previously they each block the trem in different ways, one blocks in front and one blocks in back of the trem block.

you can decide which way you want to try it, they both work ok.

both of them start by installing a block to hold the trem level. you use either the string tension to hold the block in place (behind the trem block) or the spring tension to hold the block in place(in front of the trem block).

after you block the trem, then tune the guitar to pitch.

once you are in tune, then begin to balance the tension to release the pressure on the block

if your block is behind the trem (using string tension to hold it in place) you will need to gradually tighten the screws on the spring claw to pull the trem body away from the block. tighten the screws just until the pressure on the block releases. this should leave the body of the trem very close to level and the strings should be very close to proper tuning.

at this point you can tighten down the string locks and use the fine tuners to make final adjustments to tuning.

if your block is in front of the trem (using spring tension to hold it), after tuning to pitch, you will need to loosen the screws on the spring claw to release the block. once you have loosened the screws enough to release the block your trem should still be level and the strings should still be very close to proper pitch. you can then tighten the string locks and use the fine tuners to finish tuning up.

once again, some photos might help show where you are having difficulty
gittarasaurus
gittarasaurus
Financial supporter

Barry likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ExFender Wed Sep 14, 2022 6:20 pm

I'm a bit late to this party, but if the OP is still having issues...

String gauge - What gauge (thickness) and do you use drop tuning?

Springs - How many are installed?  If the axe has been excessively used, the springs might be toast (very likely) - cheap replacement from any halfway decent music store or even fleabay.
ExFender
ExFender
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 212
Registration date : 2019-10-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down