The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Westone Spectrum DX Tremolo Tailpiece

2 posters

Go down

Poll Westone Spectrum DX Tremolo Tailpiece

Post by Stubedo Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:55 pm

westone - Westone Spectrum DX Tremolo Tailpiece Img_2012
westone - Westone Spectrum DX Tremolo Tailpiece Img_2013
Hopefully someone can help me with this tech issue. I have attached two pics to help explain the problem.

I've just acquired this guitar and I'm concerned about the trem/tailpiece ... it seems to be lifting away from the guitar body and it looks all wrong, probably damaged ???

When tuning strings the lifting prob is exacerbated as tension increases and the tailpiece plate is under a lot of strain ... looks like it might warp. The trem arm is fine and the whammy bar works but I can't get the guitar in tune because if the above problem.

Additionally, the action increases as string tension rises so something is seriously awry. 

Is there a component missing? What am I doing wrong? What's the solution to fix this? Have I bought a dud?

Urgent advice required please ... in the mean time I'm going to strip the guitar down to remove any tension on the plate.

Thanks.

Stu
Stubedo
Stubedo
Registered Member

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2021-08-10

Back to top Go down

Poll Re: Westone Spectrum DX Tremolo Tailpiece

Post by gittarasaurus Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:36 pm

getting a floating trem set up is a balancing act. you have to balance the tension of the strings with the tension of the springs. heavier gauge strings requires more pull from the springs.

so you need to check your springs. usually 3 springs is enough. you can tighten the wood screws that hold the spring claw to put more tension on the springs or you can add more springs.

in the end, the baseplate of the trem should be approximately parallel with the body of the guitar
gittarasaurus
gittarasaurus
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 1499
Registration date : 2011-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Stubedo Sat Aug 14, 2021 4:27 pm

Thank you. I've gotta clean the fittings and mechanics properly before I had it over for a pro set-up ... I'm hoping my luthier will have deft touch you describe. 
When I'm all done and it's singing I'll post some pics 🤞
Thanks again.
Stubedo
Stubedo
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Stubedo Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:19 pm

OK so I've stripped the guitar and got all the floating trem gubbins out of it ... sadly there are only two springs, so I'm guessing there wasn't enough tension to retain the tailpiece block parallel to the guitar body.

Are these springs just standard or bespoke? I might be able to pick some up in a hardware store tomorrow. 

I notice that there is space for six springs ... does anyone with a Spectrum actually use that many?
Stubedo
Stubedo
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by gittarasaurus Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:50 pm

the springs are pretty much standard guitar part you can find easily on ebay or check your local guitar shop

more springs makes for a stiffer whammy bar, less springs makes the action softer

again, it is a balancing act, based on your preferred style
gittarasaurus
gittarasaurus
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 1499
Registration date : 2011-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Stubedo Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:14 pm

OK. Thanks for such a swift response. Should be able to remediate tomorrow 🤞
Stubedo
Stubedo