The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Number of springs in a bendmaster tremolo and where to get them

2 posters

Go down

Number of springs in a bendmaster tremolo and where to get them Empty Number of springs in a bendmaster tremolo and where to get them

Post by Rocktower Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:52 pm

I just bought a Genesis 1 guitar. The tremolo is sitting on a funny angle and I am wondering if it’s short a spring. Should there be two or three? Also, any idea on where to pick one up? Haven’t had a guitar with a tremolo in 30 years so I don’t know. Are they pretty much the same for any tremolo?

Thanks
Rocktower
Rocktower
Registered Member

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2020-07-24

Back to top Go down

Number of springs in a bendmaster tremolo and where to get them Empty Re: Number of springs in a bendmaster tremolo and where to get them

Post by corsair Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:50 pm

Yep... as long as they're all the same length under no tension, you should be golden.

The bridge should be parallel to the body, so you have to balance the string tension by winding the big screws that hold the spring claw in or out. Number of springs shouldn't matter when setting the bridge angle - less springs = wobblier bridge: more springs = firmer bridge.

I have 3 springs on some and 4 on others...
corsair

Number of posts : 6321
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Number of springs in a bendmaster tremolo and where to get them Empty Re: Number of springs in a bendmaster tremolo and where to get them

Post by Rocktower Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:15 am

corsair wrote:Yep... as long as they're all the same length under no tension, you should be golden.

The bridge should be parallel to the body, so you have to balance the string tension by winding the big screws that hold the spring claw in or out. Number of springs shouldn't matter when setting the bridge angle - less springs = wobblier bridge: more springs = firmer bridge.

I have 3 springs on some and 4 on others...

Any particular brand of springs you recommend? I am just going to get all new springs. I should mention that I play using diadario medium top heavy bottoms, so 11s at the high end 52s at the low end.
Rocktower
Rocktower
Registered Member

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2020-07-24

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:20 am

Not really, no...

That's about the gauge I use on electric guitar; 11, 15, 22W, 38, 48, 54 and I have no issues holding tune with 3 springs, though on my Corsair which is my 'does everything' guitar, I have 4 because I use the bar a lot.... and have the really bad habit of resting the heel of my picking hand on the bridge!!
corsair

Number of posts : 6321
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down