The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What guitar(s) do you love . . . but will never play?

5 posters

Go down

guitar - What guitar(s) do you love . . . but will never play? Empty What guitar(s) do you love . . . but will never play?

Post by Barry Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:54 pm

Not because you can't afford it (we're all pretty much in that boat) but for other reasons.

Maybe it's the first guitar you ever owned/played. It was great when you were learning but now you realize the action is so high the only shredding you're gonna do is to your fingers! But you still have a strong sentimental attachment to it...under the bed...where it will stay.

The main guitar for me is the SG. Great tone machine, thin, responsive, a really versatile rocker. My problem? That damn giraffe neck!

I just cannot get comfy behind one of these buggers. My hand position feels all wrong, like I'm always reaching for the chords I want to play. Maybe it's psychological. I dunno. But try as I may, and I have many times, I cannot relax with an SG.

Love 'em. Won't ever play one. Neutral

MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: https://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)
Barry
Barry
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 8700
Registration date : 2009-05-01

https://legend.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

guitar - What guitar(s) do you love . . . but will never play? Empty Re: What guitar(s) do you love . . . but will never play?

Post by xbarnesx Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:14 am

I've got an SG and its probably one of my least played guitars
got it for a steal from a mate having a clear-out, but the neck is like half the fat end of a baseball bat, I'd say U shape rather than D shaped, I generally prefer a C shape
I used it on a recording session for the second guitar track lower in the mix to beef out the sound, which it did nicely and for that reason I've kept it
Great sound but wicked cramp in my hand after

I've also got a Columbus Crest (335 knock off) which plays and looks really nice, in fact compares very favourably with my dads genuine Gibson for actual playing and acoustic sound.  But I don't play it much, I have other guitars that suit what I play at the moment much better than it, maybe that will change with time.
I really like the look of Gretsch's and obviously a Rainbow 2 to match my prestige would be nice, and a year ago I came close to buying a possibly Yamaki Washburn HB35 deluxe, but logic kicked in and I thought what's the point of buying a semi when I have one I don't play already
xbarnesx

Number of posts : 234
Registration date : 2010-07-07

Back to top Go down

guitar - What guitar(s) do you love . . . but will never play? Empty Re: What guitar(s) do you love . . . but will never play?

Post by corsair Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:13 am

Hmmmm.... toughie. I don't particularly have any overwhelming urge to play an SG, or a Les Paul, or a 335 - I've played 'em and for one reason or another moved them on. I can get pretty much any tone I need with what I've got.
I'd be a bit hesitant to play a P90 loaded LP Junior double-cut simply because I love the look and recorded sound of them and would be afraid that the reality would not match my dreams!!
Another along those lines is the Rickenbacker 360/12...
corsair

Number of posts : 6321
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by xbarnesx Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:46 am

corsair wrote:Hmmmm.... toughie. I don't particularly have any overwhelming urge to play an SG, or a Les Paul, or a 335 - I've played 'em and for one reason or another moved them on. I can get pretty much any tone I need with what I've got.
I'd be a bit hesitant to play a P90 loaded LP Junior double-cut simply because I love the look and recorded sound of them and would be afraid that the reality would not match my dreams!!

I've got an Epi LP Jnr double cut with single dog ear P90
bought it on a whim in Denmark St years ago, the Saturday after payday with money burning a hole in my pocket
a guitar I always go back to, sounds great, great neck and just fun fun fun
xbarnesx

Number of posts : 234
Registration date : 2010-07-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Iceman Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:07 am

Sounds like the neck on my MM, Barry.

1st vintage guitar I went out and found on my own.  Picked it up in '87 from a local classified ad for $110 and it was one hot, beaten mess. 

Cr@p machineheads, wrong pickup, wrong tailstock/bridge, you name it basically.  I got it mostly based on the fact that the pots were not scratchy and the seller told me it was made the same year of my birth... and then it ended up being a '64 instead once I learned the labyrinth that is the Gibson serial numbering system. 

As large as my hands are I never could get comfortable trying to play it... and yet my wife loves noodling on the thing.

guitar - What guitar(s) do you love . . . but will never play? Mm_1

Last edited by Iceman on Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Iceman
Iceman
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 2894
Registration date : 2011-02-22

http://www.glowingtubes.com/p/Kahler_Instructions.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by The Chad Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:28 am

My Washburn USA Custom Shop Vindicator.  Probably because I don't play much hard music right now?
The Chad
The Chad
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 2772
Registration date : 2011-02-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down