The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Concord I- simple but effective adjustments.

4 posters

Go down

concord - Concord I- simple but effective adjustments. Empty Concord I- simple but effective adjustments.

Post by BC Witch Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:24 am

Hi Concord I lovers. I've been playing a Concord I (first version) for some time and I've come across a couple of simple adjustments that make a big difference to the guitar.

1) Replacing the stock string trees for the 'roller' type: I was having tuning problems with the Concord I and bought some replacement locking tuners and roller string trees. As it happened, the new tuners didn't fit through the holes in the head stock so, rather disappointed, I sent them back but fitted the roller string trees anyway. To my surprise the tuning issues were solved. Basically the tuners were fine, the strings were getting 'stuck' in the stock trees when I was bending.

2) Pick up height: I was initially getting the widely reported weedy sound out of the Concord I and tried to compensate by pushing the pickups higher and higher, hoping to get some volume and grit out of them, but to no avail (I got more volume but it was killing the sustain). I watched a video on the good old Youtube about single coil pickup height and discovered that if I lowered the pickups so they were almost flush with the scratch plate the sustain and tone where hugely improved.

Also, using heavier strings such as 11s really improves the tuning and tone.

Hope this is of use!
BC Witch
BC Witch
Registered Member

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2014-08-18

Back to top Go down

concord - Concord I- simple but effective adjustments. Empty Re: Concord I- simple but effective adjustments.

Post by Westbone Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:28 pm

Do you find you have to turn up the amp to compensate for the volume drop with the pickups so far away from the strings?
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 5917
Registration date : 2008-12-28

http://www.chruler.com/

Back to top Go down

concord - Concord I- simple but effective adjustments. Empty Re: Concord I- simple but effective adjustments.

Post by Sgt. Vimes Sun May 01, 2016 4:55 am

There isn't much gap between string and scratchplate anyway on the concords so I wouldn't think there'd be much of a signal drop.
Sgt. Vimes
Sgt. Vimes
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 3322
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by BC Witch Sun May 01, 2016 7:22 am

There isn't a significant volume drop.
BC Witch
BC Witch
Registered Member

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2014-08-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Guitarcrap Wed May 04, 2016 1:12 pm

Most single coil guitars sound better with the pickups lowered almost to the pickguard/scratchplate. The exception is Telecaster type guitars , which need the bridge pickup raised a bit.
Guitarcrap
Guitarcrap
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2016-04-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Guitarcrap Wed May 04, 2016 1:19 pm

Putting a small amount of graphite powder in the nut slots will help with keeping any guitar in tune with the exception of Floyd Rose equipped ones.
Guitarcrap
Guitarcrap
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2016-04-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down