The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Removing bridge bushings (post sleeves) - Cheaply and safely!

4 posters

Go down

Removing bridge bushings (post sleeves) - Cheaply and safely!   Empty Removing bridge bushings (post sleeves) - Cheaply and safely!

Post by The Chad Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:30 pm

A quick tip for anyone who needs to remove bridge bushings. 

Bought this cool custom painted Washburn (not a Westone, but this info will help us all). 
The bridge ground wire was off of the post! 
Had to pull the bridge post bushing. 

(Bridge post and bushing is shown in the center of the photo)

Removing bridge bushings (post sleeves) - Cheaply and safely!   DSCN4779_zpstchrbdno

Well, you can buy one of these from StewMac for $54.00. 

Removing bridge bushings (post sleeves) - Cheaply and safely!   Knob_and_Bushing_Puller_zps8knfmpdm

Or you can go to your local hardware store and buy these items...

Removing bridge bushings (post sleeves) - Cheaply and safely!   DSCN4780_zpsqtyft2sj

Cost me only $2.39.   Make sure the bolt is the same size and thread as your bridge post. 

Here's what I did.  Removed strings, removed bridge.  Removed the bridge post.
Assembled the items like so....

Removing bridge bushings (post sleeves) - Cheaply and safely!   DSCN4781_zpsojswb4rw

I then placed my home made assembly over the empty bushing hole, screwed the bolt down inside of the hole, and using a wrench (spanner for you lot across the pond) tightened the bolt which was now in the bushing.  This gently and steadily raises the bushing out of the body as you tighten the bolt, and in a very clean manner, removes the bushing. 

Then I could reconnect the damaged bridge ground wire and get back to what really matters... 
Plugging it in and JAMMING! 

Removing bridge bushings (post sleeves) - Cheaply and safely!   DSCN4783_zpsjgmwjdv0

Metal Head
The Chad
The Chad
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 2772
Registration date : 2011-02-01

Back to top Go down

Removing bridge bushings (post sleeves) - Cheaply and safely!   Empty Re: Removing bridge bushings (post sleeves) - Cheaply and safely!

Post by corsair Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:29 am

Oddly enough, I've just done this exact job on an APII LC440 to replace the worn gold one with a black one, and then had to remove the 2 4mm bridge screws by the 2 nuts tightened together method... worked a treat and now - once my locking tuners arrive - I'll be ready to make much noise!!

Anyone wanna see the thing in question?
corsair

Number of posts : 6329
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Removing bridge bushings (post sleeves) - Cheaply and safely!   Empty Re: Removing bridge bushings (post sleeves) - Cheaply and safely!

Post by Westbone Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:20 am

corsair wrote:
Anyone wanna see the thing in question?
Is the Pope an Argentinian? cyclops
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 5918
Registration date : 2008-12-28

http://www.chruler.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by The Chad Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:43 am

That's the cool 3 pickup flame top, right?  Great looking piece.  I tell ya, locking tuners make a difference.  They did on my two Electras!  A major difference, actually.
The Chad
The Chad
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:53 am

I'm a believer, mate; I really am! 

However, be careful of some of the cheap Schaller copies out there because they're cheap for a reason, eh!! I bought a couple of sets of Schecter marked lockers and they're good, but a set of no-name lockers at a knock down price are very ropey indeed... loose components and a rattley cheap feel: avoid!
The APII is getting Gotoh lockers to match the Gotoh Bridge and tailpiece....

And my bushing puller consisted of 2 washers I had laying about, a bit hacksawed from an old towel rail and a 75mm x 6mm bolt I had in my bolt collection: net cost = pennies!!

King of the cheap bastids, I am!!
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:32 am

Always used a crow bar honestly!! I'd never use metal on a painted wooden surface. Always a wooden block with a cloth.
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by The Chad Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:37 am

Crow bar?!  Hey, if it works!  Why not.

I should've said that I'd put paper between the washer and guitar finish, forgot to add that.
The Chad
The Chad
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:40 am

Goes without saying that there's a pad underneath the washers, eh?? I'm cheap, not stupid!Very Happy
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by The Chad Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:40 am

cheers
The Chad
The Chad
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:03 am

In retrospect, eh! Laughing
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:14 am

One of the several small "cool tools" I use all the time from StewMac is the ESP Multi Spanner. I keep finding new uses for it, including prying up stubborn posts!

Great little tool, and at under $15 it appeals to my cheap bastid gene! Twisted Evil

MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: https://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)
Barry
Barry
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 8724
Registration date : 2009-05-01

https://legend.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by The Chad Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:01 am

Great idea!
The Chad
The Chad
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:09 am

Nearly there... the re-painted pickguard bracket is still drying, the brass nut needs to be affixed and the tuners have yet to arrive.. otherwise, we're done here! Should I colour the pickup poles, or not?

Removing bridge bushings (post sleeves) - Cheaply and safely!   DSC_0001_zpsflpti4m7
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by The Chad Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:30 pm

I like the pickup poles shiny, looks mean that way.  Cool
The Chad
The Chad
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:30 pm

Shiny poles.

Black suits it... Smile 

Control knobs just look too big though???
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:39 pm

Right-o; shiny poles it is!!
@Damian; I found those in the local music shop and they are the exact type that came off the guitar and are only a tiny bit bigger than the usual Gibbo speed knobs but yeah; they don't look quite right, do they?! Not bad, but not ideal, if you know what I mean....
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by The Chad Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:53 pm

Look like Strat knobs from here...
The Chad
The Chad
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down